Best prong collars

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 10:40 am

Which prong collars do you use? The one I have has had it and doesn't hold... I guess it it stretched out :| from where I take it on and off
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Marinepits » June 4th, 2006, 10:53 am

Herm Sprenger German Steel Prong Training Collars

Never had a problem with them popping apart or stretching out.

and here's a great link on how to fit them, for those that don't know:

http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm
Last edited by Marinepits on June 4th, 2006, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » June 4th, 2006, 10:53 am

Herm Sprenger prong is what my trainer recomends.
They are more $$, but the quality is definately there.
Purple
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 11:59 am

Thanks that is actually what I was looking at ... :clap: The one I have is 8 years ols and not that brand, and I guess not as well made because it stretched the prong links.

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » June 4th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Are they the same style?

I always just put the collar on somewhere in the middle of the links, is that wrong? I know theres an actual spot to do them up, but I've just been doing wherever...

I just looked at mine and it says "SPRENGER" on it, so I guess I lucked out! It ran me about $30 cdn by the time I got all the extra links, so ya, I'd say its probably the most expensive training collar I've ever bought
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Malli wrote:Are they the same style?

I always just put the collar on somewhere in the middle of the links, is that wrong? I know theres an actual spot to do them up, but I've just been doing wherever...

I just looked at mine and it says "SPRENGER" on it, so I guess I lucked out! It ran me about $30 cdn by the time I got all the extra links, so ya, I'd say its probably the most expensive training collar I've ever bought

It doesn't matter where you take the links on and off from

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby pocketpit » June 4th, 2006, 2:48 pm

I can vouch for the Sprenger brand as well. I've had other brands that were difficult to manipulate, the links bent, and the links just fall apart. I've never had a problem with my Sprenger ones.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm definately ordering a new one from them.

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Vanessa » June 4th, 2006, 3:19 pm

I love them Sprenger collars too. They have always worked well for my dogs.
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 4th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Sprenger.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 4th, 2006, 7:26 pm

I use the sprenger curogan...sprenger collars come in different styles: quick release, etc....on the ones that are NOT quick release (I personally don't like the quick release) one of the ends (where the chain is links) says "open." You should put on and take off the prong using that area....even the steel ones can become bent/weak if you open them in another area (I learned that the hard way)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 4th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Get a muzzle for your dog - so he will not bite you when he gets a very hard correction.

Then learn how to correct him so that he respects your correction. He does not respect your correction right now because it is not working. If you have to, grind some dull points on every other prong. If that does not work, grind the rest of the prongs. When you tell the dog NO and he does not mind you had better correct the SOB until he fears for his life. If you can’t do this, you either need an electric collar or a new dog.

The praise is important even if the dog is corrected. This tells the dog that you still love it and that you have forgiven its stupidity.

The dog should not go off leash for a long time. Let it drag a 30-foot line. If it gets away and does get into a fight, the level of corrections must be so severe that the dog needs to think its life is threatened - by you. You need to be screaming NO NO NO!!! Giving multiple corrections like a crazy person.

With my males, (especially my males that are protection trained), I use a shovel – not a stick. For the simple reason that I may need it for protection (to stick in the dog’s mouth) if he turns and comes after me. A Schutzhund stick is not going to phase one of my males – it just pisses them off.

Damn, this guy sounds like a real....something. I don't know, seems a little zealous to use punishment in pretty severe amounts.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » June 4th, 2006, 10:30 pm

:o
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » June 5th, 2006, 6:52 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:
Get a muzzle for your dog - so he will not bite you when he gets a very hard correction.

Then learn how to correct him so that he respects your correction. He does not respect your correction right now because it is not working. If you have to, grind some dull points on every other prong. If that does not work, grind the rest of the prongs. When you tell the dog NO and he does not mind you had better correct the SOB until he fears for his life. If you can’t do this, you either need an electric collar or a new dog.

The praise is important even if the dog is corrected. This tells the dog that you still love it and that you have forgiven its stupidity.

The dog should not go off leash for a long time. Let it drag a 30-foot line. If it gets away and does get into a fight, the level of corrections must be so severe that the dog needs to think its life is threatened - by you. You need to be screaming NO NO NO!!! Giving multiple corrections like a crazy person.

With my males, (especially my males that are protection trained), I use a shovel – not a stick. For the simple reason that I may need it for protection (to stick in the dog’s mouth) if he turns and comes after me. A Schutzhund stick is not going to phase one of my males – it just pisses them off.

Damn, this guy sounds like a real....something. I don't know, seems a little zealous to use punishment in pretty severe amounts.

WTF??? This guy sounds like a lunatic!!!! I've watched my trainer deal with his hard-headed dog....while some dogs might need a firmer hand (I admit that) to say this stuff to the general public is, well, absurd!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 7:02 am

sick . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 5th, 2006, 7:21 am

http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

My intention by posting the above link was not to cause another heated discussion, but to show the proper fitting of a prong collar for those who don't know how to fit one. I thought the author coherently and completely explained how to do so, and in no way am I endorsing the rest of his site, especially since I haven't really explored it.

Why don't we start a new thread and invite the website's author here to explain his chosen methods of training? That way he at least has the opportunity to defend himself. :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 5th, 2006, 7:24 am

katiek0417 wrote:It says "open." You should put on and take off the prong using that area....even the steel ones can become bent/weak if you open them in another area (I learned that the hard way)
I was told and read it didn't matter. LOL Maybe that is why mine stretched. Thanks

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 5th, 2006, 8:36 am

Those quotes were from the prong collar site someone posted earlier in this thread. You may want to really look at that site before recommending it to anyone else. The fitting info was good, but the training advice is something else.

edit-I missed your post above (my eyes are really achy for some reason this morning, sorry)

I was not sure you saw the rest of his site, so I wanted to point it out. I have learned to be pretty careful in endorsing links or else put a disclaimer stating the rest of the site is not my opinion.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby concreterose » June 5th, 2006, 9:48 am

Another vote for Sprenger.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2006, 10:47 am

Leerberg is a "little" nutty, but that really doesn't have anything to do with how to properly fit a prong collar.

:|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Training & Behavior