Flea and Tick treatments

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby rockermom » June 3rd, 2006, 3:32 pm

Need to buy more flea and tick stuff.

Was hoping to find something that repels as well. Currently using Frontline Plus.
Anyone have experience with BIOSPOT. Local tractor supply carries it at a more cost effective price. However I noticed recommended to reapply after bathe. Is it true Frontline Plus is waterproof? Are any others? What is everyones preference on these things?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 3rd, 2006, 3:55 pm

i have heard negative things about biospot.
i currently use Advantix, since using it ihave not seen one tick on any of my dogs. i used to use frontline plus, but would still find ticks on them. i like the advantix better.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 3rd, 2006, 4:10 pm

Thanks I was thinking about advantix since seeing the cute comercial also since I also found a tick on rocky about a week after aplying frontline plus. Ok I will order advantix. I am a couple of days behind I should have put on yesterday will it be ok to wait until petmeds sends it?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 4th, 2006, 10:19 am

i only get my tick/flea stuff from the vet, as there are counterfit stuff that is sold online. i want to make sure that what i use is the real deal.
i also alternate with the advantix and essential oils with water, i use rosemary,eucalyptus, sage and lavendar with a water spray bottle and spray the dogs when i dont give advantix, and my self.

i would not trust petmeds or any online place except dr foster and smith or my vet
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 4th, 2006, 11:39 am

I've heard things about biospot but it seemed to work good when we needed it. I used it before I heard anything about it. :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 4th, 2006, 11:41 am

Well I guess I will call a local vet tomorrow. This is why I need to change vets. I really like the guy that gave us a free visit. But 35 min drive is not convienient when you need things like meds.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 4th, 2006, 11:48 am

you can walk into any vets office and buy heartguard or flea/tick meds. if my vet is closed i will go to the next vet that is open and buy them there.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 4th, 2006, 11:48 am

msvette2u wrote:I've heard things about biospot but it seemed to work good when we needed it. I used it before I heard anything about it. :|

We have had a few dogs (mostly smaller) come into our vet hospital having neurological issues and seizures that were eventually traced back to the use of Biospot.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby rockermom » June 4th, 2006, 11:49 am

Oh ok did not realize that. Thought I would need a prescrip or something. I need to get him weighed since he is right in the crossover weight on the meds. He is probably just 50lbs.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » June 4th, 2006, 11:51 am

Marinepits wrote:
msvette2u wrote:I've heard things about biospot but it seemed to work good when we needed it. I used it before I heard anything about it. :|

We have had a few dogs (mostly smaller) come into our vet hospital having neurological issues and seizures that were eventually traced back to the use of Biospot.

Well I will definately not use biospot then since I have noticed that Rocky goes through a chasing tail episodes a day or 2 after frontline and heartguard.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 4th, 2006, 11:59 am

the chasing of his tail is probably due to just him needng some more exercise.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 4th, 2006, 12:12 pm

could be. But he does tail chasing mostly when he was given the stuff. Will let ya know since today he only had heatguard cause I dont have the frontline till tomorrow. Although this weekend would not be a good test due to lack of exercise with bad weather. He is buggin for attention. gotta get out for a walk.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » June 4th, 2006, 12:15 pm

I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if I'm repeating...

the Biospot I would opt out on, I think it has similar ingredients to zodiac, both of wich I've seen cause seizures in a few patients (in only 6 months working at the hospital). The chemical is different, and is much more easily toxic, as I understand it.

If you're worried about one of the topical vet. treatments wearing off, you *might* be able to combine it with an oral flea med as well (I *think* I've used Advantage and Capstar together before?)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 12:41 pm

I use Frontline plus and for heartworm I use Interceptor
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » June 4th, 2006, 1:45 pm

I use Advantix on the boys. I used to use Frontline Plus, but Wally would be depressed for 2 or 3 days after application, so I decided to try something new. Advantix has done me well so far. Living in tick capital USA, I have only found 2 ticks on Wally so far this season, and they were found just 2 days before his next dose was due. Way better than last year with the F+ where I was pulling ticks off him almost daily.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Vanessa » June 4th, 2006, 2:32 pm

I use Advantage on Ozzy and it works well. We don't have any of the dangerous kinds of ticks here so it's just for fleas and i like it.
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Miakoda » June 4th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Our clinic has seen man cases of adverse reactions (from skin issues to neurological issues & seizures to death) from the use of Biospot & Hartz products! NO NO NO to them! :o

& this goes for both dogs & cats.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » June 5th, 2006, 7:15 am

Yikes! I aint using that stuff! I think I will try advantix especially since I have seen bites on Rocky's belly. think mosquitos. advantix suppose to repel mosquitos.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 8:15 am

A fun little website . . .
http://www.hartzvictims.org/
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 5th, 2006, 8:25 am

Biospot is simply flea spray concentrated. It is not a biological agent like Advantage or Frontline, from what my vet told me. When I worked at a vet clinic, we had several cats come in and one small dog with severe seizures due to the product, 3 out of the four died. The cats were due to misuse of the product.

I have used Advantage with good results. I only use it when i actually see fleas or an allergic reaction to fleas, so only one or two months a year normally.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health