Recipes...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby cheekymunkee » May 31st, 2006, 1:46 pm

JennKBM wrote::clap: I'm loving these recipes, and I can't wait to try making an omellette in a bag. (how the heck do you spell that? lol)

SO last night, I winded up making what is technically called Barbequed Shrimp. Not sure why it suddenly came to me (the name) but it did. I found this recipe online, and my daughter and I ate and ate! It was wonderful, and almost like my MIL's.

Here is the "technical" recipe. I did things a little different and will put it at the bottom. I suggest anyone that likes shrimp, and spicy food to give it a go! It was worth it!

Barbecue Shrimp Recipe
Compliments of Froggy Bottom Cookbook

Barbecue Shrimp Recipe

1 pound shrimp
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 stick margarine
3 to 4 dashes Tabasco

Preheat oven to 450-500 degrees

Wash and drain shrimp leaving shells on.

Place shrimp and margarine in pan (15x1-inch) deep enough to hold sauce.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper or pepper corns, juice of one lemon, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 3-4 dashes Tabasco.

Bake at 450-500 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Recipe doubles or triples well.

Serve with French bread for dipping into sauce. - Barbecue Shrimp Recipe.

In addition to Froggy Bottom Cookbook, there are many wonderful cajun cookbooks at New Orleans Showcase that offer a variety of Barbecue Shrimp Recipes , and other tempting cajun seafood dishes.

I used a little more butter than it says, and varied a little with seasonings. I put some minced Garlic, Tony's, Garlic powder, and the Worcestershire in the microwave, and melted it before I used it. I just kept adding, until it was as spicy as I wanted it, and tasted how I liked it. Once it was melted and I liked the way it tasted, I then just dumped it on the shrimp. (I just had the shrimp in the bottom of a glass casserole dish) It's much easier in my opinion, to melt the butter first, that way you know the level before it's melted. I didn't use the Tabasco, because I didn't have any ~ yet I imagine it would be good. I cut the lemons in half ~ squeezed them all over the top then sliced them up and threw some of the slices in with the shrimp. I used the same oven setting, and took them out every 5 minutes to stir. (The ones on top were cooking the fastest, of course so it's a necessity to stir them) I bought some of that "Texas Toast ~ Garlic Bread" to serve with the shrimp. It's messy, we just sat the dish on the table with some paper plates for the shells and went to town. The juice is excellent to dip the bread in. It's super easy, and super fast as well.

That sounds GOOD!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » June 1st, 2006, 12:00 pm

Nacho Casserole

1 pound ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 can refried beans
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup diced green bell pepper (optional)
1 cup grated mild Cheddar cheese
Nacho chips

Cook ground beef and taco seasoning mix according to package directions. In bottom of a medium casserole, spread refried beans; sprinkle with onions. Place meat over beans. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Tuck nacho chips around edge of casserole. Top with green pepper and grated Cheddar cheese. Bake 5 minutes. Garnish with sour cream, chopped green onion and chopped tomato.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » June 1st, 2006, 12:02 pm

Most of my recipes are on my computer that commited suicide over the weekend. (R.I.P you piece of crap) so I am having to try to recreate them in my head. I will post them as I remember them or re-create them from scratch, one of the two.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » June 1st, 2006, 12:30 pm

Anyone have one for "breakfast bars"??
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 1st, 2006, 12:42 pm

I did make something one time with granola, rolled oats, and apples, I believe. I don't have it in my head I'd have to go back and look, but it was pretty easy I think. Although I don't think the bars held their shape that well
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 1st, 2006, 6:11 pm

I need a good recipe for veal cutlets... because they are thawed and ready to cook!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » June 2nd, 2006, 10:02 am

Veal Parmesan

2 lb. Veal round steak, cut into six pieces
1/3 c. Fine, dry breadcrumbs
1/3 c. Grated parmesan cheese
3 Eggs, well beaten
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/3 c. Olive oil
2 c. Tomato meat sauce
6 Slices mozzarella cheese

Preparation :

Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Set aside. Combine eggs with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in skillet. Dip cutlets into egg mixture, then into crumb mixture, add to skillet and slowly brown on both sides. Arrange cutletes in baking dish. Pour tomato meat sauce over cutlets. Top slices with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » June 2nd, 2006, 10:12 am

Romanwild wrote:Pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 cup gin
1 cup beer

Mix and drink while using recipes pn this thread.

It's called skip and go naked.

:wine:

No no no. You're thinking too small scale! This is my Skip and Go Naked Recipe

12 cans of pink lemonade concentrate
30 rack of beer
1 handle of gin (or vodka)

Mix together in a clean (preferrably brand new) trashcan and watch your party goers get all nudie-like.

Man, I miss throwing parties . . .
:wink:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby SisMorphine » June 2nd, 2006, 10:14 am

Purple wrote:If anyone likes pierogies, I have a great pierogie lasagne recipe...

Piergie lasagna? Post it up!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby girlie » June 2nd, 2006, 10:15 am

OMG trash can punch........

Yeah, blast some "brass monkey" in the background and you have my college experience.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » June 3rd, 2006, 12:48 pm

Pierogie Pie

10-12 potatoes boiled, mashed
2 finely chopped onions
3/4 lb. Grated cheddar cheese
1 lb cooked lasagna noodles
2 -3 sticks of butter

Add cheese to mashed potatoes ( I also add salt pepper and milk or cream to mashed potatoes)
Sauté onions in butter until soft.
Add ½ of onion butter mixture to potatoes.
Layer noodles and potatoes in a 13x9 pan, ending with the noodles. Pour the remaining butter/onion mixture on top.
Cover and bake at 350 until heated through, about 40 minutes +/-.
Purple
I live here

Postby Asta » June 5th, 2006, 12:19 pm

So easy, quick and so jummy!

Penne with Gorgonzola

200g Gorgonzola
40g butter
2,5 dl tablecream
30g of Parmesan shavings
0,5dl vegetable bouillon
400g penne
salt
pepper
nutmeg
approx 60 g of Parmesan shavings for serving

Divide the Gorgonzola and let them melt in a pan with the butter. Add the Boullion, cream and Parmesan and let simmer on low heat until slightly thickened.
Season after your own liking. Boil the pasta until al dente, mix with sauce and serve.

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby call2arms » June 5th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Asa, that sounds good but...
Damn you Euros and your Decalitres!!

Can you replace the Gorgonzola with any other cheese?
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » June 5th, 2006, 7:45 pm

hey... I got fresh asparagus. Anybody got a good, vegetarian recipe with asparagus in it?
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Asta » June 6th, 2006, 7:24 am

Hahhahah Yeah i know its a pain in the butt with different meaurments. I used to cry in stores in Toronto when i was new there :|

http://www.france-property-and-informat ... verter.htm

Yeah you can use other wonderfully stinky cheeses :) When theyre out of Gorgonzola there are 2 other ones i use, the green mouldy kind. Gorogonzola is a mix of blue and green mould as far as i have read. Just pick one with lots of spunk :)

Fresh asparagus, jumm!!! Here is one recipe i like to make :)

Asparagus risotto

450g risotto
100g butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1tbsp fresh thyme
225g Arborio rice
1½dl dry white vermouth or dry white wine (i use wine)
25g shredded parmesancheese

Roughly shredded parmesan cheese for serving

Rinse the asparagus and break off the woody ends and save those. Cut off the buds, put aside. Finely chop the middle parts.
Pour 7½dl of water into a pot, add a pinch of salt and bring to boil.
Add the woody ends for approx 10 minutes until soft. Press them against the sides of pot to squeeze out the juice, then throw them.
Boil the bugs for aprox 2 minuts in the same water, put aside.
Finally boil the middle parts for approx 3 minutes.

Mix water and asparagus until smooth. Should make 7½ dl, add more water if less. Pour back and let simmer on low heat.

Melt 75g of the butter into a low wide pan. Fry the onion soft, no colour. Add garlic and thyme, stir quickly.
Add the rice, lower the heat as much as possible. Stir until all the rice is covered by butter. Salt + pepper.

Pour in the wine, raise temperature until medium. Boil until all fluids has been absorbed.

Stir in a little of the bouillon at a time, and stir constantly while simmering until the fluid has been absorbed. Then add more and repeat for approx 20 minutes when the rice is al dente.

When approx half a decilitre to a decilitre of fluid remains, add the buds and the rest of the fluid. Boil until absorbed.

Stir down the last of the butter and the parmesan.
Allow to rest for a minute or 2.

Serve with shaved parmesan.

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby call2arms » June 6th, 2006, 4:20 pm

That's a good recipe Asta, I'll put it up in my book.

We ended up having spaghetti with chickpeas, asparagus and garlic. It was so good!

Spaghetti 375 g
onion, finely chopped 1
cloves garlic, minced 2-3
olive oil 45-60 mL
canned chickpeas 250 mL
grilled or steamed asparagus spears, sliced on a diagonal
vegetable or chicken stock 175 mL
each: sun-dried tomatoes and chopped fresh basil leaves 50 mL
Salt and freshly ground pepper
blue cheese or feta cheese, cubed (We has medium cheddar) 85 g

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
Sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chickpeas, asparagus, stock and sun-dried tomatoes; simmer 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil; simmer 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss hot spaghetti with vegetable sauce and serve topped with cheese if desired.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Asta » June 6th, 2006, 6:54 pm

MmmMMmmm That sounds delicious too C2A! I also have a book hahah Well, its more of a binder that i drag around, and that recipe will make it, thanks :D
Oh and thanks for teaching me the proper englsih word *repeats "stock" to herself repeatedly*

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2006, 6:59 pm

just don't confuse "stock" with "broth" or you may not like the results!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » June 7th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Haha Asta, thanks to the Catelli site for teaching you the right words, I'm French so I would probably have said broth too... The Catelli site has some amazing recipes, you can choose your ingredients and pasta, and it finds a recipe for you...

As vegetarians we used the vegetable stock, but I'm convinced the recipe is delicious with the chicken broth.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Asta » June 9th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Broth...Stock... :| Anyhoo ...:)

Lime and honey marinated chicken on a bed of apples

4 servings

4 chickenfiléts
Rind of 1 lime
3 tbsp limejuice
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
A pinch or 3 of blackpepper

Applesauce

2½ dl applejuice
2 dl tablecream
1 chickenstock cube
2 pinches of Turmeric
salt+whitepepper

Fried apples

2 apples (Granny Smith)
1 bunch os springonions
1 tbsp brown sugar

Trim filéts if needed, and cut a shallow pattern on top. Mix limejuice, rind and honey. Allow chicken to marinate for approx 3 hours, turn once. Wipe lightly, then brown on both sides, salt and pepper. Transfer them to an ovenproof dish that has been sprinkled lightly with oliveoil. Finish in the oven for approx 15 minutes.
Bring applejuice. stock, cream and turmeric to a boil for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, whip it frothy.
lastly: Peel and slice apples and springonions. Fry in pan with a little butter and brown sugar, not too high heat or they look less appetizing.
Slice the chicken diagonally and serve on top of apples with Couscous on the side :)

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic