Eating her own poopoo

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ZachMan » May 30th, 2006, 2:04 pm

I just don't know what to do. Lucy has been eating her own poo. I didrealize it till I noticed the yard was alot cleaner and I know Frazer does not or ever done this. So I started watching her very carefully through the window when I let her out and sure enough as soon as it comes out it goes back in, ugghhh.

So I am definately going to take her to the vett Friday and stand outside with her the rest of the week. My question is what causes this? I know she acts like she is starved to death when she eats, but I have been feeding her 1.5 cups of food 2x a day and its Natures Variety too. Frazer has always eatin 2 cuos a day and he is right close to 60lbs so I don't know what to think :| Lucy is still very very trim and lean so maybe she just needs mooore food? She is on Interceptor also and she did not test pos. or worms last time we were at the vett.

ideas :|
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » May 30th, 2006, 2:08 pm

some dogs like to eat their poop... some dont.. my one foster did, until i added some better food to her food, then she stopped.. the natures variety is a good food, but you might have to add something to it.. you can add canned merrick, or some canidae, evo, or some other higher quality food, or get the powder that you sprinkle on their food to stop them from eating their stool.. my rott used to do it only in the winter time, until i switched his food.. my gsd did it last winter,, the first time in 5 years, i was shocked... so i added some different food to their food and it worked...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 30th, 2006, 2:09 pm

This isn't really a 'vet' problem. I don't know why they do it, but there are a number of additives you can put in their food that are supposed to break them of the habit.

I think it usually indicates a nutrition defficiency if I am remembering correctly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » May 30th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Vicki used to do it, and in her case it was because she hated to soil her kennel. I changed her eating schedule to where I could get her out to poop a little earlier,and my neighbor came over in the middle of the day to let her out...she stopped eating it.

Have you tried going out with her and cleaning it right up when she does it? I know that Solid Gold makes a poop eatin' deterrent, I've never tried it but HERE it is. Good luck, it's definitely a gross experience.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 30th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Is Lucy intact? Has she ever had puppies (or gone through a heat cycle)? Some female dogs will eat poop if they've had puppies or have gone through a heat cycle which resulted in a false pregnancy...Sacha does it every time she goes in heat...

I used the Solid Gold stuff...I think my girls just viewed it as seasoning...

Pineapple helps...the best thing to stop them was: meat tenderizer...no, not kidding...

after a while I would just correct them for it...now Sacha only does it while in heat...the puppy not at all
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » May 30th, 2006, 3:20 pm

I have heard meat tenderizer works but couldn't think of it. That would be what I would advise.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on May 30th, 2006, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » May 30th, 2006, 3:26 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I have heard meat tenderizer works but couldn't think of it. That would be what I would advice.

Yeah, it's the only thing I could really get to work....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ZachMan » May 30th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Thanks everybody. She is intact for another 2 weeks, but never had pups or been in heat....shes 5 mo. old.

I'll try the meat tenderizer, then the powder if it doesn't help.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby Purple » May 30th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Adolf's meat tenderizer.
Purple
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 30th, 2006, 8:52 pm

It could also just be a puppy thing...some puppies just do that.....

It might get better after she is spayed...in the meantime, try some of the suggestions....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Miakoda » May 31st, 2006, 2:17 am

Ok, I have some poop eaters too & well, here's the deal.

After discussing this rather nasty habit with your vet & all your friends who will listen, you will many of the same excuses: the dog is lacking is nutrients and/or vitamins, the dog may have worms, the dog is obsessive/compulsive, etc. But let the truth be told: SOME DOGS JUST LIKE IT! They like the taste, they like the texture, & they like beating you to the pile of poop to eat it before you can scoop it! :twisted:

(however, in some cases it is true that malnourished/emaciated dogs will do this in an effort to stay alive & it might become a habit after all is said & done. but was your dog ever in this state?)

Oh, & as for ALL the "treatment" recommendations out there, I've tried them all on my 2 poop eaters. And NOTHING worked!

My advice? Scoop your yard several times a day & don't allow any facial kisses from those disguisting beasts. :wink:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby concreterose » May 31st, 2006, 11:16 am

Miakoda wrote:Ok, I have some poop eaters too & well, here's the deal.

After discussing this rather nasty habit with your vet & all your friends who will listen, you will many of the same excuses: the dog is lacking is nutrients and/or vitamins, the dog may have worms, the dog is obsessive/compulsive, etc. But let the truth be told: SOME DOGS JUST LIKE IT! They like the taste, they like the texture, & they like beating you to the pile of poop to eat it before you can scoop it! :twisted:

(however, in some cases it is true that malnourished/emaciated dogs will do this in an effort to stay alive & it might become a habit after all is said & done. but was your dog ever in this state?)

Oh, & as for ALL the "treatment" recommendations out there, I've tried them all on my 2 poop eaters. And NOTHING worked!

My advice? Scoop your yard several times a day & don't allow any facial kisses from those disguisting beasts. :wink:

:goodStuff: I tried the meat tenderizer and other stuff (except the solid gold stuff) too, and nothing helped except picking it right up.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » May 31st, 2006, 3:22 pm

I'd missed this thread due to having a too busy week!

Good advice above. If you get the meat tenderizer, look at the ingredients and get an unseasoned one with papin in it. Papin is an extract of papaya and it might help. Or it might not... Some dogs just like it!

I'd only take her out on a leash and then clean up as soon as she goes. Keep all poop cleaned up and hopefully you can break the habit.

One other possibility with Lucy, since she's a BYB pup, maybe the breeder kept the pups in crowded dirty pens? Not trying to say he did but that can cause a pup to learn to eat its stool.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby ZachMan » June 1st, 2006, 4:20 pm

gf turtle wrote:.

One other possibility with Lucy, since she's a BYB pup, maybe the breeder kept the pups in crowded dirty pens? Not trying to say he did but that can cause a pup to learn to eat its stool.

Har har nice try

She was kept in a fenced 10 acre yard with her mom and dad.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » June 2nd, 2006, 6:33 am

ZachMan wrote:
Har har nice try

WOW!!! No tight quarters there!!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ZachMan » June 2nd, 2006, 10:59 am

katiek0417 wrote:
ZachMan wrote:
Har har nice try

WOW!!! No tight quarters there!!!!

Yeah its like a ranch style home they had a huge yard just for the 4 dogs.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby Marty » June 2nd, 2006, 10:38 pm

Try one table spoon of crushed pineapple aday in there food ;)
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » June 2nd, 2006, 10:46 pm

Damn crap eatin' dogs (that was one of my dad's favorite sayings!)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Nutrition & Health