puppy housetraining..

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby anissa » June 2nd, 2006, 9:21 am

we have 2 pits (explained in my introduction) but our first one was a shelter dog who was already housetrained. Our second, Brock, is a 6 week old male pup that we just got 2 days ago. This is our first puppy so we've never been through any housetraining before, and to be honest.. I have no idea what Im doing.

We've been keeping him in the crate unless we can keep an eye on him. We feed him 3x a day and are very diligent on taking him out right after he eats or drinks. He's still having accidents! I get my shoes on, open the door and have everything prepared to take him out before opening the crate door, but it never fails.. as we're walking him to the door, he'll piddle on the floor. We stop him, but then he wont go outside. (which could be, that at this age all he has in his bladder is a piddle worth) He's had one poop accident in the house, but he's successfully held it every other time, until we were outside.

Besides opening the crate and carrying him outside, I dont know what to do. I dont want him to get used to being carried out to pee. God knows I sure wont be able to do that when he's bigger. Any advice?

Also.. how often should he be getting water a day and how much?
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 2nd, 2006, 9:41 am

I'm sorry, I can't remember where you got Brock from? What were they doing with him?

6 weeks is very young for a pup to be away from his mother, but I'm not sure if that will make potty training easier or harder.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 2nd, 2006, 9:49 am

6 weeks old?? :shock: Wow, that's young. Ideally, pups should be with their moms until they are atleast 8 weeks old or more, if possible.

It's unrealistic to expect any puppy, particularly a 6 week old puppy to not have lots of accidents. Puppy potty training takes lots of time, patience and papertowels, lol, and can include many setbacks.

A six week old puppy should be fed ATLEAST 4 times a day, if not 5, and should have water at all times. Puppies dehydrate very easily and can die very quickly from dehydration. The food should be either wet puppy food or kibbles moistened until they're very soft.

Here is a link to help you with potty training. As you can see, potty traininig can't be expected until as late as 6 months unless you're home 24/7 training---give or take . . .

http://www.perfectpaws.com/htrp.html
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 2nd, 2006, 9:50 am

Maybe move the crate closer to the door . . . as in right next to it?

I'm not sure, I've never had to housebreak a pup before. Good luck with it!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » June 2nd, 2006, 9:54 am

You're expecting too much from a 6 week old pup. Usually a pup wouldn't be taken from a mother before 8 weeks. Not that 2 weeks would make a difference in potty training but you need to have a lot of patience. We're here for ya! :D

The crating is fine but instead of letting him walk to the door you should pick him up until he has better control. He won't get used to being carried outside. Don't give him a chance to pee.

Don't punish him if he has an accident. He's young and it's very hard for them to hold it for an hour at the point. I would take him out every 15-30 min. Let him be successful. Make it a big deal when he goes outside. Bring treats and make a fool of yourself.

Water should be avaible at all times but you might want to pick it up after a certain time in the evening to minimize night time accidents or you getting out of bed!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 2nd, 2006, 9:55 am

a-bull wrote:6 weeks old?? :shock: Wow, that's young. Ideally, pups should be with their moms until they are atleast 8 weeks old or more, if possible.

It's unrealistic to expect any puppy, particularly a 6 week old puppy to not have lots of accidents. Puppy potty training takes lots of time, patience and papertowels, lol, and can include many setbacks.

A six week old puppy should be fed ATLEAST 4 times a day, if not 5, and should have water at all times. Puppies dehydrate very easily and can die very quickly from dehydration. The food should be either wet puppy food or kibbles moistened until they're very soft.

Here is a link to help you with potty training. As you can see, potty traininig can't be expected until as late as 6 months unless you're home 24/7 training---give or take . . .

http://www.perfectpaws.com/htrp.html

Good stuff, a-bull! Thanks for posting it. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » June 2nd, 2006, 9:56 am

no dog should be placed at 6 weeks .. where did you get this pup? if it was from a rescue, shame on them.. if it was from a breeder, shame on them too.. proper placement is at 8 weeks.. anyhow... there is no way a tiny tiny little bladder can hold it while you get ready to take him outside.. make sure you are ready to take him outside IMMEDIATELY after he finishes his last lick of water, last kibble, or as soon as he wakes up.. they cant hold it that long while you get ready, so be ready before.. have his leash ready too. as soon as he is done eating drinking, waking, playing IMMEDIATELY scoop the little bugger out side and stay there until he goes potty.. then praise the hell out of him for going potty outside.. with a pup that young, you will be taking him outside every 15 -20 minutes the entire time he is awake , etc... at nighttime, he wont be able to hold it thru the night, so he might wake you up a few times to go.. again, be ready before he is. this way, less accidents.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » June 2nd, 2006, 9:57 am

Did you get him from the shelter on base or the SPCA in town or the Jefferson county dog shelter?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 2nd, 2006, 10:01 am

I housetrained all my pups by taking them outside with the older dogs.

When the older dogs "did their business", I made sure the pups saw/smelled where the older dogs went and then praised the pups like a crazy woman when the pups "did their business" in the same spot!

To this day, all my dogs pretty much go in the same spot in the yard.

As far as water goes, PLEASE keep it available for the puppy at all times. They can dehydrate in a New York minute at that age!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby anissa » June 2nd, 2006, 10:06 am

6 weeks IS young to be away from its mother, believe me, I was suprised when the 'breeder' told us that he was only 6 weeks and 2 days old. My husband and I were planning on getting a puppy, and found a lady selling them on watertownads.com. She had them listed as ready to go on May 29th. When we got there, she had them with the mother in an outdoor (semi-sheltered) kennel. She was selling them for $50.00 (which I also couldnt believe) and 2 'rares' a white and a blue one.. for $200.00. We bought Brock from her and headed to a pet store/groomer for some supplies.

The owner of the store asked us where we got him, and we told her the address. She looked mortified! She went on to tell us that she rides her horse by there often, and that the dogs are out there 24/7.. EVEN in the winter. My heart broke. We had her, do a quick check over Brock to see if he had any fleas. Luckily he didnt, but when she squeezed his penis, it started to ooze out puss. My husband called our vet right there on the spot from the store, and took Brock in. It's just a small infection and we have some wash and pills to treat it, but it REALLY made me question the conditions these dogs were living in. Ironically, its the 'breeder' that recommended we go to that shop.

After all was said and done, as unhappy as I am with the 'breeder', I am glad we were able to take atleast one of the puppies from her.. even if he is so young. Id hate to know what might happen with the others. :(
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » June 2nd, 2006, 10:07 am

Maryellen wrote:no dog should be placed at 6 weeks .. where did you get this pup? if it was from a rescue, shame on them.. if it was from a breeder, shame on them too.. proper placement is at 8 weeks.. anyhow... there is no way a tiny tiny little bladder can hold it while you get ready to take him outside.. make sure you are ready to take him outside IMMEDIATELY after he finishes his last lick of water, last kibble, or as soon as he wakes up.. they cant hold it that long while you get ready, so be ready before.. have his leash ready too. as soon as he is done eating drinking, waking, playing IMMEDIATELY scoop the little bugger out side and stay there until he goes potty.. then praise the hell out of him for going potty outside.. with a pup that young, you will be taking him outside every 15 -20 minutes the entire time he is awake , etc... at nighttime, he wont be able to hold it thru the night, so he might wake you up a few times to go.. again, be ready before he is. this way, less accidents.

Amen . . .

At around 4-6 months a pup can hold their pee around 8 hours, give or take, but you still may have the occassional accident.

I trained mine kind of unconventional/old fashion. I set up pee pads around the crate for my pup to pee on until he had all his shots so he could go outdoors safely. I had to guide him in the beginning, but he very quickly used the pads himself because they were so close to his crate and his food bowls. As he could hold it longer, I used less pads and moved the pads towards the door, until I was down to one pad. I eventually put the pad outside for just like a day until he got the hint and started sniffing around and picking his own spots.

Is your pup vaccinated??
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 2nd, 2006, 10:08 am

anissa wrote:6 weeks IS young to be away from its mother, believe me, I was suprised when the 'breeder' told us that he was only 6 weeks and 2 days old. My husband and I were planning on getting a puppy, and found a lady selling them on watertownads.com. She had them listed as ready to go on May 29th. When we got there, she had them with the mother in an outdoor (semi-sheltered) kennel. She was selling them for $50.00 (which I also couldnt believe) and 2 'rares' a white and a blue one.. for $200.00. We bought Brock from her and headed to a pet store/groomer for some supplies.

The owner of the store asked us where we got him, and we told her the address. She looked mortified! She went on to tell us that she rides her horse by there often, and that the dogs are out there 24/7.. EVEN in the winter. My heart broke. We had her, do a quick check over Brock to see if he had any fleas. Luckily he didnt, but when she squeezed his pee pee, it started to ooze out puss. My husband called our vet right there on the spot from the store, and took Brock in. It's just a small infection and we have some wash and pills to treat it, but it REALLY made me question the conditions these dogs were living in. Ironically, its the 'breeder' that recommended we go to that shop.

After all was said and done, as unhappy as I am with the 'breeder', I am glad we were able to take atleast one of the puppies from her.. even if he is so young. Id hate to know what might happen with the others. :(

That's so sad :(

In addition to his age, the infection and the medication could also be inhibiting his ability to hold it. Poor pupper. It's lucky for him you happened along.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » June 2nd, 2006, 10:09 am

Wendy told me about you yesterday. That's where you should buy your kibble! She's in the club btw.

Why don't you pm me the number of the "breeder".

Why did I think you got it from a shelter? :?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby anissa » June 2nd, 2006, 10:14 am

We do have water available anytime that Brock is awake. I was unsure if his water should monitored like his food. We're feeding him Maximum puppy food and we water it down until it's soft. We were told by the vet to feed about a cup of food a day, but Ive been actually giving him a handful each time. Ill definately offer a couple more feedings a day. He is taken out immediately after each water/feeding, and whenever we see him start to sniff around or whine. The first night was rough, he cried and barked until 5:30am. Last night (our second night) he slept pretty good. My husband stayed on the couch so that he could get up with each whimper to take him out.

Trust me, I do realize that 6 weeks is too young for him to have left his mother, but at the same time.. I knew if we didnt take him, someone else would have. I am glad it was us. I am home 24/7 and will do my best with him. I just might have alot of questions for this all of you :)

My husband and I are leaving on an uncancel-able retreat this afternoon until sunday afternoon. My daughter, and the neighbor will be looking after both Charlie and Brock. I need to make an easy to follow, to the 'T' schedule for Brock before we go.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 2nd, 2006, 10:17 am

It just takes a lot of patience, just like with potty training 2 leggers. Don't expect too much at first, take your time, he will get it. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » June 2nd, 2006, 10:18 am

I got Nisha at 6 weeks old....this is a post that I actually posted on the labchat group on Yahoo groups about potty training a puppy that young:

"You can ask 100 people their opinions on potty training, and you’ll get 100 different opinions. There are no right or wrong answers…you can pick and choose aspects of each opinion that you like, and try them out. The main thing is: you have to find what works for your dog.

My experiences (and this is what I’ve found to work with my dogs) is that a 6-week old puppy can hold it for about 2 – 3 hours at a time. You are right, the general rule is their age in months plus 1. This is the standard for during the day, but has to be amended for playtime, eating, etc. With my 6-week old puppies, I usually take them out right after they wake up, right after they eat, and, if they’re playing, every hour. Remember to PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE for pottying outside!!!!

Are you crate-training? I like to crate-train, but I’ve also done regular house-training (I start the dogs off in a small room, then increase the amount of freedom they are given).

During the night, the puppies should be able to go longer: about 4 hours at a time (by 4 or 5 months old, they should be able to go about 7 hours). I limit food/water consumption after a certain time. For example, I want to do the last walk at 10 pm, so I don’t give them food or water after 6 (if they’re really thirsty, I might give an ice cube or 2).

If you are crate-training, there are some things you can do to help keep them from going in the crate: feed them in the crate (dogs will not want to potty where they sleep, but they ESPECIALLY don’t want to potty where they eat), take them out directly before putting them in the crate…also, I like to use hamster bedding in my crates because it absorbs urine (if they urinate) and poop will become “clumpy” (so it’s easier to pick up and doesn’t get smeared everywhere). Also, if you get the cedar bedding, then the smell won’t be as bad…."

This is another post from me that laid out the schedules I used with my puppy when I got her:

"Day and night routines should be totally different. Dogs should be able to go longer during the night than they do during the day. At night, it is dark in the house, it is time for quiet time (I usually give a word when it’s time to go to sleep for the NIGHT…I usually say, “night, night” time). During the day, people are moving around, etc, so they’re not going to sleep as well.

So, the “equation” really only goes for during the day (while they’re in the kennel). They should be able to hold it longer at night, but you have to “train” them to do that…Typically: it should be 2 hours during the day, about 3.5 – 4 at night. When they are 8 – 9 weeks old, and if they are getting it, you can increase it to 4.25 hours, then 4.5, and so on.

For the day, you want to take them out after they wake up, then give them some play time in your house…but they should NOT be unsupervised (if they are, then they might potty somewhere and you don’t realize it). It also sets them up for failure. If they are playing, you’ll probably need to take them out every hour. Also, while you are going through this potty training time, limit their water. Don’t allow free access to water…in fact, I usually give a little ice if they seem really thirsty (as opposed to water).

Also, are they crated together or separately?

Here was the typical schedule (when I was at home) for my 6-week old puppy when I got her (and I had the 1.5 year old lab at the time, but her schedule was not the same):

6:30am: potty, then back in kennel

7:45am: breakfast, then potty again, back in kennel (I do mandatory NO PLAY TIME for 1 hour after they eat to avoid the chances of bloat occurring).

8:30am: potty, play time by herself

9:30am: ice cube, potty, back in kennel

12:00pm: potty, play time with my lab

1:30pm: ice cube, potty, back in kennel

4:00pm: potty, play time by herself

4:30pm: play time with my lab

5:30pm: potty, back in kennel, while I feed the lab

6:00pm: dinner, potty, back in kennel

7:15pm: potty, play time with the lab

8:30pm: potty, play time with the lab

10:00pm: potty, night-night time

2:15-2:30am: potty

On the days I had to work, it was more like:

6:30am: potty, then back in kennel while I get ready and feed the lab

7:45am: breakfast, then potty again, back in kennel 8:30am: potty, play time by herself

11:30: dog walker arrives to take her out, back in kennel

2:45: dog walker arrives to take her out, back in kennel

5:30pm: potty, back in kennel while I feed the lab

6:00pm: dinner, potty, back in kennel

7:15pm: potty, play time by herself

8:30pm: potty, play time with the lab

10:00pm: potty, night-night time

2:15-2:30am: potty

I hope by putting down her schedules you see what worked for me. Like I said, every dog is different and you have to find what works for your dog…but this is what worked for my girl."
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby anissa » June 2nd, 2006, 10:27 am

Katie.. I REALLY appreciate your schedule example. I am going to take it, and doctor it up alittle and see if it works for us. Thanks.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » June 2nd, 2006, 10:27 am

Niiiiiiiiiice post, "Katie." :thumbsup:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 2nd, 2006, 10:32 am

anissa wrote:Katie.. I REALLY appreciate your schedule example. I am going to take it, and doctor it up alittle and see if it works for us. Thanks.

a-bull wrote:Niiiiiiiiiice post, "Katie."

No problem. I know how hard it can be to have a 6-week old puppy in the house....There weren't a lot of people who knew what it was like to have a 6-week old puppy, and few people who could really offer advice to me....so, having been through it, I want to be able to help people....

I hope it works for you (or at least helps).
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby anissa » June 2nd, 2006, 10:32 am

I have a question Katie..

when was the pup getting water, other than the ice cubes and feedings?

and you only have 2 feedings listed?
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Training & Behavior