Strong chewy things

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Alaine » June 1st, 2006, 4:07 pm

I'm looking for something that Stitch can't destroy within the first two minutes of chewing. He loves my kids's stuffed toys and I'm trying to get him away from them so I don't want to get him anything similar. He has a Kong (with the treats...doesn't like it much), a nylabone (he doesn't care) and a bone that is just a bone (don't know the name...it's hollow though and white and about a foot long). He doesn't seem too interested in those things. I would LOVE to find him something that he can have to keep him occupied when he has to be left alone because he seems to chew out of boredom. Any ideas would be WONDERFUL
Alaine
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » June 1st, 2006, 4:09 pm

Raw meaty bones will keep him occupied for hours & keep his teeth sparkly
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Alaine » June 1st, 2006, 5:33 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Raw meaty bones will keep him occupied for hours & keep his teeth sparkly

Thank you :) I'll have to go to the store tonite and ask about those. Are they really gross (as in something that should be outside) or would they be ok in the house?
Alaine
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » June 1st, 2006, 6:19 pm

meaty bones are pretty gross until they get cleaned off, then they are fine.

You may also want to try filling the king with peanut butter and then freezing it. well, don't fill it, but put some in. The first time I did it, I packed it full and when Ruby cam out of her crate about 90 minutes later she puked up all the peanut butter. very gross.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » June 1st, 2006, 6:21 pm

I just stuff biscuits into the kongs here. They work at them for quite a while. No puking. My son's allergic to peanuts so we've never used it. I have heard cream cheese works and they make a "stuffing" for it but it's very spendy.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby blkngldbabe » June 1st, 2006, 7:12 pm

What do you guys think of the Nylabone Galileo's? They are huge and take quite a while for the dogs to really wear down.
blkngldbabe
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » June 2nd, 2006, 6:37 am

blkngldbabe wrote:What do you guys think of the Nylabone Galileo's? They are huge and take quite a while for the dogs to really wear down.

My dogs hated it...both of them...

I agree with bones...or kongs, but for the kong I take some quality kibble, crush it up, add water, make a paste, then freeze it...then they're not getting junk...you can also dice some raw chicken and add that in...or raw beef....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Alaine » June 2nd, 2006, 11:13 am

Well, I got some butcher bones (the ones from the butcher guy) but they aren't what I was expecting. What he gave me was about 10 1" pieces of femur bone. I suppose that will work but I was thinking it would be a big piece of femur. He loves it but I'm worried about him choking on it. I also got one of those vacuum packed smoked looking butcher bones (which is a bigger piece of femur) for when I'm gone for a while.
And if anyone is looking for a good toy that can be chewed for a while I got him one of those Petstages Orca balls with the cotton rope and it's the only thing so far he hasn't been able to destroy. And it floats so he plays with it in the pool. He kept bringing it back to the pool so he could stick his head underwater to get it...it was hilarious.

Alaine
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » June 3rd, 2006, 3:22 pm

Im interested in the orca ball. GOt a picture of it or a website? Rocky's favorite Nyla bone is the knot.
http://www.nylabone.com/default.aspx?pa ... &prodID=51
I also got some marrow bones from the grocery and they also were only 2 inches. Im afraid of giving them that he will put the whole thing is his mouth and they are still sitting in the freezer. Did your dog do ok with the meaty bones? Did they make a mess?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 3rd, 2006, 3:58 pm

you can get marrow bones longer then 2 inches, just ask the butcher for longer ones.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 3rd, 2006, 4:08 pm

Maryellen wrote:you can get marrow bones longer then 2 inches, just ask the butcher for longer ones.

Yes but it was all they had that day.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Alaine » June 6th, 2006, 7:32 am

houlabulla? wrote:Im interested in the orca ball. GOt a picture of it or a website? Rocky's favorite Nyla bone is the knot.
http://www.nylabone.com/default.aspx?pa ... &prodID=51
I also got some marrow bones from the grocery and they also were only 2 inches. Im afraid of giving them that he will put the whole thing is his mouth and they are still sitting in the freezer. Did your dog do ok with the meaty bones? Did they make a mess?

The bones are ok so far. He hasn't managed to swallow them and he loves to push the marrow out with his tongue. I make him stay outside with it until the meat and marrow is out and then he can bring it in. So far no messes.
The Orka ball is still holding up and I got him an Orka "jack" as well that he loves...I found some on Ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/PETSTAGES-ORKA-SMALL-JACK-WITH-ROPE-Dog-Chew-Toy_W0QQitemZ7770103530QQcategoryZ20753QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I went to a local pet store and the woman who owns it told me she normally stocks the Orka things but that they go quickly because people like them so much.
Stitch still doesn't care much for his Nylabone. I think it's just too boring for him.
Alaine
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 6th, 2006, 8:36 am

I agree with bones...or kongs, but for the kong I take some quality kibble, crush it up, add water, make a paste, then freeze it...then they're not getting junk...you can also dice some raw chicken and add that in...or raw beef....

Good idea!

I usually take kibble, fill the kong half way, then seal it with peanutbutter and freeze.

You can recharge the meaty bones and nylabones with bacon fat or other drippings, or soaking overnight in broth.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » June 6th, 2006, 10:36 am

Ok I have seen those orka things at my pet shop. Never bought cause figured Rocky would chew up and eat the rope. Which he has done. I have not found anything he has not ruined quickly. I no longer buy kongs since expensive and he ruins them. So I buy a cheap kong version I found at walmart for $5.00 called buddys fire hydrent. Its a hard rubber thing like a kong and it lasts the same amount of time. Recently I thought I would try kong tennis balls they squeek when they bite down. Found those at target. Rocky has chosen not to destroy them. I was hesitant to buy them cause I knew he could destroy it but for some reason he just likes to keep in his mouth and make it squeek but not chew it up. Those were like 4.00 for 3 balls. Rocky does not really play fetch, however he has learned to play fetch and drop with these. Other then that so far everything has been ruined quickly. Next I want to try one of those hard Jolly balls which I have been having trouble finding. Rocky likes to play soccer with the kids however he has ruined and eaten the vinyl off the soccer ball. The only problem with the hard ball is he wont be able to pick it up and throw it which he enjoys doing.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 6th, 2006, 10:50 am

They make basketballs with ropes to carry them. Tallulah uses one for flyball. They will get chewed off if you have a chewer. May get popped. I never let her have them unattended.

They have jollyballs with handles, but those will get chewed off if you have a chewer. Again, not unattended here.

The only indistructable dog toy I have ever found was a bowling ball. Tallulah would push it around with her nose, but there was no picking it up, or popping it, or chewing it. Must have a fenced in yard, and be able to jump fast or risk a broken ankle! She hasn't gotten to bowl since we moved away from the fenced in yard :(
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2006, 11:20 am

There is also a hard plastic ball that you can find that used to be sold as indestructable until someone gave it to a lion. Now it is only billed as "nearly" indestructable. It has a hole in it with a plug so you can put water in it for unpredictable rolling or rocks for noise.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » June 6th, 2006, 11:37 am

The jolly balls I saw at a flea market were hard not soft. which I am sorry I did not buy but 10.00 for a small ball seemed silly. I am going to try my dads agility club website since they have some cool toys like the egg my dads aussie likes to play with. I was hoping to find a large plastic egg around easter to buy for Rocky. Sorry I am cheap since I have bought too many 10- 20 dollar toys that have been ruined in hours or minutes.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 6th, 2006, 11:38 am

mnp13 wrote:There is also a hard plastic ball that you can find that used to be sold as indestructable until someone gave it to a lion. Now it is only billed as "nearly" indestructable. It has a hole in it with a plug so you can put water in it for unpredictable rolling or rocks for noise.

My dogs HATE those things. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Training & Behavior