Anissa from Upstate NY

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby anissa » June 1st, 2006, 10:36 am

Hi! Im Anissa, and I just joined this site yesterday. I found it by doing a search on pitbull advice. Ive already looked through a few threads and found some helpful information. Hope to stick around and learn more.

My husband, my daughter (12 yrs old) and I now have 2 pitbulls, Charlie (almost 2 years old) and Brock (6 weeks 3 days old). My husband always wanted a pitbull, and although I didnt believe in all the 'myths' about pit's, I was still alittle apprehensive. We decided to look at the dog shelter, and found Charlie.

We've had Charlie for 6 months. Although we didnt have any information on where he came from or why he was in the shelter, just by spending some time with him before we made the decision, we could tell he was very well behaved. He was housetrained already, have never had an accident in the house. He listened to basic commands, sit, come etc. We still have to command him a few times until he'll 'down', and sometimes confuses it for 'shake a paw', but we're all trying. The only issue we have with him, is possible anxiety. We made the mistake of leaving him out of his kennel when we ran out for a minute, and he tore apart all of our blinds trying to sneak a peak out of the window. We now kennel him everytime we all leave the house. I tried leaving him out again a few months later, and same thing. Otherwise, he is very well tempered, and I think we got lucky by getting him from the shelter.

Our other pitbull is 6 weeks and 3 days old today. We just got him yesterday. Charlie has always been good with other female dogs, infact we babysit another pitbull, Lily. He doesnt like adult males though, its a dominance thing. We decided that we wanted another male, and considering it is just a baby, we hoped for the best. We brought Brock home yesterday and Charlie instantly took to him. He doesnt quite mother Brock, but he plays gently with him, and actually takes him out to pee! Unfortunately we've already had a few 'accidents' in the house.

This is our first time having a new puppy, pitbull or otherwise. Ive been spending all of the time that I cant sleep because Brock is barking and crying from the kennel, to try and figure out how this whole training thing goes. I NEED to get down the basics, house training, crate training etc. Ill worry about the tricks and such later!

I plan on sticking around here, probably asking lots of basic questions, hoping that you will all forgive my ignorance. I havent slept a wink all night, Brock cried for 8 hours straight. I finally let him out with Charlie a few minutes ago, brought him back in, moved the kennel closer to where I am right now, and he's FINALLY asleep in it. Now hopefully I can go get some rest.

P.S. Id appreciate ANY and all information/links etc. you might be able to provide a new pitbull mommy. Thanks!
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » June 1st, 2006, 10:58 am

It's a small world.

Why don't you join the Northern NY Bulldoggers?

I live in Watertown and I am the president and founder of the club. We are going to start training sessions on Thursday night which are free to members.

This sunday we will be having a Thompson park clean up day followed by a picnic. Why don't you join us and bring the whole family!

Welcome to PBT! :gruven:

Romanwild
I live here

Postby anissa » June 1st, 2006, 11:16 am

Thank you for the welcome!

We live on base, @ Fort Drum.

I just looked at your site, but still alittle confused about this club. I'd really like more information, it sounds fun and we could definately use getting to know some other, more experienced owners.

Unfortunately my husband and I are going to a retreat this weekend, so we cant make it to the picnic on Sunday, but please keep us posted on any future get togethers. Whats involved with the training sessions, and by members, do you mean members of this forum? Is it tonight?

Thanks again!
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Asta » June 1st, 2006, 11:27 am

Hello and welcome to you and your family Anissa :wave: Cant wait to see pics of your babies :) Good luck with the pupper btw!

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby anissa » June 1st, 2006, 12:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Ive just made a profile for both of our babies on Dogster.

I need to add more info and pictures, but here's a funny one of Charlie:

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=322419&j=t

and here's the newest member of our family, Brock:

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=322424&j=t
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby blkngldbabe » June 1st, 2006, 12:45 pm

Hey..quite the cuties! welcome!
blkngldbabe
Just Whelped

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 1st, 2006, 12:58 pm

Brock & Charlie are precious! Welcome!
Brock sure is a young-un! Because he is so young do you think he is probably just trying to get adjusted to life without brother & sister puppies to play with? I once fostered a litter of pit pups and at that age all they wanted to do was play with each other, and then they would tire each other out- then they would sleep.

Anywho, I hope you find that this is a fun, informative board.

P.S. My dad spent some time at your base in Fort Drum before shipping off to Kuwait. That was a few years ago though. Thankfully he is home!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby anissa » June 1st, 2006, 1:28 pm

Im glad your dad is home safe :D

I definately think Brock is just sad because he's away from his brothers and sisters. He's gotten pretty brave over the last few hours though, and keeps pouncing on Charlie to play. We added a 2L bottle filled with warm water, to the kennel, and he slept like a baby. The peace and quiet was definately nice, although it didnt last as long as I wish.

Ive been reading over the board, and I think I am taking in sooo much information, that Im becoming alittle overwhelmed. There is so much I thought I knew about raising pitbulls, man.. was I wrong. Ive sure got alot to learn, and to teach!
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » June 1st, 2006, 1:36 pm

:wave: Hello and Welcome! Glad you found us. :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Romanwild » June 1st, 2006, 1:42 pm

anissa wrote:Thank you for the welcome!

We live on base, @ Fort Drum.

I just looked at your site, but still alittle confused about this club. I'd really like more information, it sounds fun and we could definately use getting to know some other, more experienced owners.

Unfortunately my husband and I are going to a retreat this weekend, so we cant make it to the picnic on Sunday, but please keep us posted on any future get togethers. Whats involved with the training sessions, and by members, do you mean members of this forum? Is it tonight?

Thanks again!

PM me your address and we will send you a postcard for upcoming meetings and events.

We were established to help protect the breed on a local level. We promote responsible ownership of ALL dogs.

We also train together for things like basic obediance, the CGC and therapy dog certificates. Weight pulling and agility.

We do rescue and public speaking about pit bulls, dog bite prevention and resposible ownership a well.

We won't be training tonight but I will let you know when we start.

We have many military members btw!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Purple » June 1st, 2006, 2:15 pm

Hello and Welcome! :trollDance:
Purple
I live here

Postby blkngldbabe » June 1st, 2006, 2:22 pm

Pfft...nice to the OTHER new chick.

I waggle my toes in your general direction! :P
blkngldbabe
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » June 1st, 2006, 3:06 pm

blkngldbabe wrote:Pfft...nice to the OTHER new chick.

I waggle my toes in your general direction! :P

LMAO!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvmyangels » June 1st, 2006, 3:44 pm

Welcome. There is so much great information here. Everyone is so helpful too. Enjoy!!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 1st, 2006, 4:51 pm

Welcome to the group! I'm raising my first pup too - she's about 7 months old now and we haven't killed her yet! So it's do-able! I strongly advise reading through all the topics in the training section, at least the ones that are applicable. But there's a lot of good info to be had there.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Introductions