Question re: dog vomiting occasionally while on Raw

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 7:42 pm

Hi! I find that Knuckles whom I had issues with when I tried Raw last time occasionally vomits. For example: Today he vomited on the deck and the contents were grass and some white gack. When this happens I give him acidophilus. We have been on chicken for a month and I am planning to gradually go over to lamb. We have tried green tripe with no problem and beef liver which was horrible.

Any thoughts?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 31st, 2006, 8:05 pm

rufus will do that too, eat grass, then toss it back up with white stuff.. i just give him some yogurt..
as far as lamb, its very rich.. and the gas will kill you.. you might want to rethink giving lamb, i think cheeky did once with her dogs and they had the worst runs or gas from it.. you can do rabbit, ostrich, duck, venison too
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 31st, 2006, 8:25 pm

I have found that Wally doesn't do well on Turkey necks, always comes back up on him. But chicken quarters and bison tails haven't given him any issues at all. So maybe Knuckles just isn't a chicken boy. See if you can find duck or rabbit for a decent price, or try Turkey perhaps.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 8:39 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I had bought a few packages of ground up mix of lamb so I will give it a shot since I have it already. If I get the response cheeky had then I won't be freaked out. But I will start to look for other items.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby turtle » May 31st, 2006, 11:01 pm

I feed raw lamb necks but I've learned not to feed them 2 or more days in a row!

I feed lamb in-between another meat, chicken or beef, or venison. And I don't feed it more than 2 days a week...

It's rich and my dog gets the runs if she eats it too much. I still feed it but not so much and in rotation.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health