Do you speak up about offleash dogs?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Do you speak up about offleash dogs?

You bet, the owner gets a piece of my mind, and then some.
44%
It depends on the situation, I do sometimes.
41%
I grumble to myself (like Malli ;) ) but not usually
15%
No, I don't like that kind of confrontation
No votes

Total votes : 27

Postby Malli » May 31st, 2006, 2:20 pm

I had Oscar at a local city park today. We had a nice little stroll. As we were almost at our car, I noticed 2 offleash dogs (a shih-tzu and what looked like a very fat malinouis or a mal-mix) with their owner. They were running around in the park, onto a road in the park, and around a horse drawn carriage (we have them in one section of the city) wich actually had to stop because the shih-tzu was getting so close to the horse. The owner "sort of" had control, but eventually had to pick up the little one because he was too interested in the horse and she couldn't get his attention. This park has Squirrels, Geese, Ducks, a Petting zoo (fenced mind you), and an area that is completely accessible yet offlimits to dogs wich has a Heronry. I was going to go and give her a piece of my mind about her dogs(oh, btw, dogs are not allowed offleash anywhere in the city except one designated offleash area), car dangers, wildlife issues, and ruining it for the rest of us, but I just didn't feel like a yelling match.
I just wondered what everyone else does?
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby muse » May 31st, 2006, 2:25 pm

ALWAYS!! Nothing annoys me more then to have my dog on a leash and have another persons unleashed dog come running up. All the while Im trying to pick mine up to avoid a fight and the person is yelling, "their friendly" What guess what nimrod, MINES NOT!

Yeah, I educate them alright. :twisted:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » May 31st, 2006, 2:28 pm

If I have the opportunity, I will! I'm constantly inconvenienced with my dogs because of others. I think I'm the only one within a 20 mile radius that has a freaking fence. If I'm in the right frame of mind, I'll let an owner know exactly what I think. Most of the time, I don't have the chance, since there are normally no owners in site. :rant:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » May 31st, 2006, 2:32 pm

Oh, hell yea, do I speak up!

I saw this lady off in the distance in a park, "walking" her crapper spaniel on a piece of clothesline -- the lady was also wearing roller blades on the "walking" path. I saw her coming at me, my husband, Samantha (our old Shep mix), and Katy (who's very strange-dog aggressive at the best of times), so I handed Katy's leash to my husband and he took both the dogs off the path while I got ready to run interference.

Lo and behold, the stupid woman somehow dropped the leash and the dog came running straight at me. The lady was yelling "Don't worry he's friendly" while she just casually skated after him -- in the meantime, I managed to grab the clothesline and get control of her dog. She just laughed and said "Thanks for catching him" and acted like it was no big deal. I kept hold of the clothesline and pointed at Katy, who was not happy at this point, and told her that if her dog had been bitten by my dog (who was on a leash and in control), it would be MY dog blamed by everyone because of her breed. I also told her not so politely to get her head out of her butt and keep her dog under control so neither of our dogs would have to pay with their lives due to her pure stupidity.

So, yeah, I speak up. :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » May 31st, 2006, 2:38 pm

yep, i always speak up on offleash dogs, and dogs on flexi leashes too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » May 31st, 2006, 2:52 pm

GRRRR Flexi leads :twisted: , I have a serious hatred for those things (though I know they can be used responsibly)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » May 31st, 2006, 2:56 pm

It depends on the situation. The most common (and irritating) are the "don't worry my dog is friendly" people. Me replying "Mine is NOT" usually gets them to move their butt though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » May 31st, 2006, 3:00 pm

I always do, I can't even walk my dogs because of them running around my neighborhood. Sometimes it is an accident that the dogs got loose but when I see the same dogs over & over, it is NO accident.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 31st, 2006, 4:10 pm

None of my neighbors seem to have heard of leashes/tethers. Inara and I always have a dog running over to us. We were recently attacked by a French Bulldog (I use the word "attacked" loosely - it could've turned ugly if Inara was in the least ill-tempered. I actually picked her up to get her away from the dog.). But I'm very passive-aggressive, and don't want to alienate myself from the neighbors, so I just grit my teeth and smile politely as they saunter over to get their dogs. But then I go call my husband and say I'm going to call AC. I haven't. But I may! :x
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Vanessa » May 31st, 2006, 4:16 pm

Ozzy has been attacked by dogs that were off leash on 2 occassions now and i didn't say what i really wanted to say :twisted: The first time he was attacked by a border collie that was just wandering around in his yard and he tryed to bite Oz while i kicked and yelled at the stupid thing. (By the way Ozzy wears a muzzle if we are walking in the day time so he couldn't defend himself) Oz was hiding behind me as he likes all animals and he seemed confused as to why this dog didn't like him. Finally a woman came out and yelled at the dog. That didn't work so she finally came out and grabbed it. I felt like telling her off but i just stormed away. She did apologize but jeezz. The second time Oz got attacked by 2 labs that ran out onto the street after him and again he hid behind me while i kicked and yelled. The stupid owner of these dogs didn't even come off their deck, just yelled until they came back then i turned to walk the other way and then the dogs ran out AGAIN and i think Oz got bit but i didn't find any blood on him. The woman finally got them to come back. :x :x :x GRRRRRRRRRR. Why do people think it's ok to let their dogs run around?
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 31st, 2006, 4:17 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:None of my neighbors seem to have heard of leashes/tethers. Inara and I always have a dog running over to us. We were recently attacked by a French Bulldog (I use the word "attacked" loosely - it could've turned ugly if Inara was in the least ill-tempered. I actually picked her up to get her away from the dog.). But I'm very passive-aggressive, and don't want to alienate myself from the neighbors, so I just grit my teeth and smile politely as they saunter over to get their dogs. But then I go call my husband and say I'm going to call AC. I haven't. But I may! :x

Next time that little Frenchie happens by, snap him up & send him to me!!!! :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby rockermom » May 31st, 2006, 4:24 pm

Wish I had it in me Im a wuss about speaking up about anything.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby kymn25 » May 31st, 2006, 4:36 pm

To be honest.. it never seemed like a big deal until I got a Pit Bull. Now It is mostly because I know if a squirmish were to happen my dog would be blamed.
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 31st, 2006, 5:33 pm

girl in the neighborhood lets her senior age black lab walk around by itself sometimes. the one time I caught it i brought it back to her, she said, "oh, she got out again" and told her how irresponsible she was because the dog clearly does not have thumbs to open the door and let herself out. Come on it's a condo for cryin' out loud!
This girl drives daddy's BMW at 50 mph down our road and it so ignorant, the b*itch ignored me
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Romanwild » May 31st, 2006, 5:34 pm

I really go after them to the point that they get mad and start yelling back or they are so freaked out that they go away without saying a word.

I've been very lucky so far. The mistake I'm making now is I'm walking 2 pit bulls at the same time. I have a whole strategy for controlling them when a dog aproaches but I know I'm taking a risk.

When it was just Dreyfus and I, I would always scoop him up in my arms. Can't do that with two dogs. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 31st, 2006, 5:56 pm

I H_A_T_E the owners who let their dogs run off lead. Yes, I do open my mouth and try nicely first, but it is so often met with ignorance. So than I have to unfortunately be a Witch with a big "B".

I've even cut down on their walks because it has gotten to be such a hastle. For example today I had to go way out of the way on my way home from a walk and go totally around the outside of the development to avoid a loose dog. :x
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 6:01 pm

There are a few not so bright bulbs that live near me that do not leash their dogs. If I am outside with the kids or the dogs I definitely say something. Besides the fact that my block can get a little busy at times with cars flying through stop signs. It is not the brightest thing to do.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby muse » May 31st, 2006, 6:15 pm

Romanwild wrote:I've been very lucky so far. The mistake I'm making now is I'm walking 2 pit bulls at the same time. I have a whole strategy for controlling them when a dog aproaches but I know I'm taking a risk.

When it was just Dreyfus and I, I would always scoop him up in my arms. Can't do that with two dogs. :|

I used to walk mine together too, but I dont anymore for this exact reason. Its sucks having to walk both seperately, but Im scared to death of what "could: happen.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 31st, 2006, 6:26 pm

I was on a hike with Wally, Halo, and Venus when I first got Halo. I had Wally and Halo, my friend had Venus. These people behind us had two Westie puppies . . . ie: tiny white things. They were far back, on leash, no biggy. Well as soon as the people figured they were safe from the park rangers (it's an onleash place) they took the puppies offleash! They IMMEDIATELY ran up to us. Halo was tweaking because he's crazy (not viciously, just crazy leaping and lunging to get closer to them which I wouldn't let him do because he would have squished them or tried to squeak them). Venus was sniffing pleasantly, and Wally was a tad too interested because they were racing around very fast and were small and white . . . ie: acting like prey.

The people asked my friend (who was closer) what kind of dogs they were. "A Greyhound, a Dutch Shepherd and a pit bull." "Oooh . . . a pit bull" and they put their puppies back on leash. I said "Actually the pit bull is fine with other dogs, really likes small dogs, but Greyhounds chase small fluffy white things so you're pretty lucky those two weren't lunch. There's a reason for the leash rule here." They huffed and puffed and walked hastily past us.

Jacktards.

Granted, Wally is usually fine with small dogs, unless they start acting like prey (ie: racing around fast and erratic), but many Greys are NOT small dog safe. Why do people always let their small dogs run up to Greyhounds? Your dog will be dinner, folks. Stupid.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 6:32 pm

SisMorphine wrote:The people asked my friend (who was closer) what kind of dogs they were. "A Greyhound, a Dutch Shepherd and a pit bull." "Oooh . . . a pit bull" and they put their puppies back on leash. I said "Actually the pit bull is fine with other dogs, really likes small dogs, but Greyhounds chase small fluffy white things so you're pretty lucky those two weren't lunch. There's a reason for the leash rule here." They huffed and puffed and walked hastily past us.

I don't mean to laugh but how dumb are people. Duh!!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk