argh!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hoagiesmomma » May 30th, 2006, 11:14 pm

I was angry...now I'm just disgusted.

I've heard from various neighbors that there is a pitbull a few houses down from me who is allowed to roam freely in their UNFENCED yard. this yard is right across the street from a candy store and is wide open on a busy street.

I saw the boy tonight :(

he's gorgeous...standing on the sidewalk taking a poo...no leash, no owner.

I went up to him with full intention of snagging him...but his owner must've heard me talking to him and called him back...AFTER he walked into the street to meet me.

not ten seconds later a cat ran by.

the potential for tragedy here is dumbfounding.

this owner...AND IF YOU ARE ON THIS OR ANY OTHER BOARD I POST THIS ON...SHAME ON YOU!!!! doesn't deserve this dog.

but here's the worst part...I called our local police department and they suggested absolutely NOTHING.

I was at least hoping a nice stiff fine might convince them to change their ways...

no such luck.

poor guy. I hope he doesn't get into trouble.

:(
hoagiesmomma
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 30th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Do you have an ACO in your town, or not so much?

I would print out some articles (with sources) regarding the issues that face pit bull ownership, how to be a responsible owner, and the dangers of letting your dog offlead. If you can't get anyone to step in, at least try to educate!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby hoagiesmomma » May 30th, 2006, 11:41 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Do you have an ACO in your town, or not so much?

I would print out some articles (with sources) regarding the issues that face pit bull ownership, how to be a responsible owner, and the dangers of letting your dog offlead. If you can't get anyone to step in, at least try to educate!

good idea.

that an maybe get a local rescue to write them a little letter (suggestion off another board).

I'll deliver the articles anonymously, though...

call me crazy but anyone who lets their dog run loose isn't someone I want knowing where I live...

and tossing a yummy steak soaked in antifreeze over my fence.
hoagiesmomma
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 31st, 2006, 8:04 am

That would be so frustrating. All it takes is for that handsome boy to run after a cat and knock down a kid in the process, and boom, there's another vicious pit bull attack. Good for you for trying to do something. Keep us updated. And post a pic of the boy if you get one! :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » May 31st, 2006, 9:32 am

Call ACO. that is a headline in the making. I have called them several times on my across the street neighbor who used to let their ankle biters run the street. They gave them warnings twice, the third time he took their dogs. I'd rather see them taken by AC than smashed by a car.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby hoagiesmomma » May 31st, 2006, 12:33 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Call ACO. that is a headline in the making. I have called them several times on my across the street neighbor who used to let their ankle biters run the street. They gave them warnings twice, the third time he took their dogs. I'd rather see them taken by AC than smashed by a car.

no aco here.

the police didn't even know what I was talking about.

they said they go through either the humane society or the rescue league to "pick dogs up"...

but that isn't really my goal at this point. if he ended up in a shelter here...he'd either wind up in the hands of an urban status chasing dog collector...or dead.

I just wish I had been able to snag him! hahahahaha

then he could have gone directly to RESCUE.

grrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm still heated about this...how can you take the time to train your dog to have a reliable enough (they think) recall to let them out on their own...

and be too stinking lazy to put a leash on them and go with????
hoagiesmomma
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » May 31st, 2006, 2:03 pm

Please don't steal the dog.

At least give the owner a chance (by educating him on offleash dangers etc) to fix things on their own. Maybe they honestly do not realise the dangers and problems.

I say this because our friends dog (Oscar's mum) was stolen off her line in their yard. She turned up an hour's driving, and a ferry ride away at another animal control (they have a few holding runs on the island). Our friends had already called ACO and they said nothing, so either someone stole her and took her off-island, or ACO took her, and hid her from them. Point is that although her care and life style wasn't ideal, she was well loved, and if someone had given the chance to fix the situation, they might have. Instead we found after she'd been rescued in the nick of time from ACO, as her time was up. Luckily she has since been adopted and has a nice retirement home.
My friend has a framed picture of her up.

Maybe you could give them some info with an email or cellphone number on it so it's anonymous?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 31st, 2006, 2:36 pm

How about the insurance company? I am sure they would love to know that there is an uncontained pit bull running around. Is the dog even licensed?

People can be such morons.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby hoagiesmomma » May 31st, 2006, 3:27 pm

I agree, malli...

my thought at snatching the dog was an impulse one. my husband freaked out later saying "how could you bring a big dog like that in here? what if he got out of the crate like that other retard (by "other retard" he meant grace. lol )"

I really DO NOT want to see him end up in a shelter which is why I didn't give the police the address....that seemed to be their only thought.

I think educating the owner is a great idea...but I literally live 50 yards from these people so I'm not going to do anything that would help them along in forming a negative opinion of me.

I'll think of something, though...

because I don't want to see him hurt or get hurt.

:(
hoagiesmomma
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Vanessa » May 31st, 2006, 3:44 pm

I hope that poor boy doesn't get hurt. Is there any update on him?
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 31st, 2006, 5:21 pm

Leash laws??
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 31st, 2006, 5:53 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:Leash laws??

In a town with no ACO leash laws essentially don't exist because the police don't want to stoop down to the level of enforcing them.

At least that's the way it was with the town I grew up in . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby hoagiesmomma » May 31st, 2006, 10:50 pm

Vanessa wrote:I hope that poor boy doesn't get hurt. Is there any update on him?

while passing by today i saw his owner outside and she gave me a dirty look...

hahahaha

I guess she recognized my truck.
hoagiesmomma
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk