Mixed Breed dog kills owner near London, Ontario!!

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Jp » May 30th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Dog kills owner

Tue, May 30, 2006

Man was playfully poking wife when pet turned on him

By LONDON FREE PRESS STAFF

THORNDALE — A woman watched, horrified, Monday as the family dog attacked and killed her husband.

John Martin, 77, of Wellburn Road in Thames Centre was playfully poking his wife outside their home about 5 p.m. when the couple’s five-year-old-dog lunged at his throat, police said.

The wife, who had been standing in the driveway with a female cab driver, was eventually able to pull the dog off her husband.

Martin was pronounced dead at hospital in St. Marys.

The 40-kilogram mixed-breed dog has been quarantined by the Middlesex-London Health Unit at a local kennel.

Provincial police continue to investigate the incident, which occurred about 20 kilometres northeast of London.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/ ... 06125.html
Jp
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » May 30th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Holy crap! Have you seen a picture of the dog yet? I wonder what breeds it is. That is soo sad.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » May 30th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Wow, what a shame. :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jp » May 30th, 2006, 3:17 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Holy crap! Have you seen a picture of the dog yet? I wonder what breeds it is. That is soo sad.

Nope, I haven't seen a picture. It just hit the news here. I'm waiting to see what mix it is. It is so sad.
Jp
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » May 30th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Wow. That is very sad.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » May 30th, 2006, 3:47 pm

i so hope its a golden retreiver mix or something like that.. not that what the dog did was ok,but to just prove that any dog can be dangerous
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jp » May 30th, 2006, 5:48 pm

well.....now it is a pitbull/lab mix. Damn it....they obviously were in violation of Ontario's DOLA.

Dog kills owner

Tue, May 30, 2006

Man was playfully poking wife when pet turned on him

By LONDON FREE PRESS STAFF

WELLBURN — An elderly man is dead after his pitbull crossbreed dog viciously attacked him Monday and tore open his throat in front of his horrified wife and a taxi driver.

John Martin, 77, from this small community just south of St. Marys, didn’t even see the attack coming, said Lynn-del Alderson, the cab driver who witnessed the terrifying scene with Martin’s wife, Nancy.

“The dog started charging and pounced on him from behind,” said a visibly shaken Alderson, who was delivering groceries to the couple just before 5 p.m.

“He didn’t have a chance.”

Just minutes earlier, the couple — married for 25 years — had been laughing and joking with each other on the lawn of their tiny farmhouse, Alderson said.

The couple’s 5-year-old dog, a 90-pound pitbull/lab crossbreed named Buster, was playing off the leash nearby, she said.

Alderson, who regularly made deliveries to the couple, remained in her taxi, having already been warned by the owners not to leave the car because the dog had been aggressive in the past.

What happened next was a “surreal” twist of events that started when Martin playfully poked his 57-year-old wife and then turned to walk away, she said.

Through her driver's side window, Alderson watched in horror as the hulking dog lunged at the 77-year-old from behind and knocked him over.

“They were just being goofy with each other, but as soon as John walked away, Buster ran at him,” she said. “It was like he was protecting (Nancy.)”

Martin, a slight and gentle man, according to Alderson, struggled to get the hulking dog off him.

“John ended up on his back and the dog lunged right for his throat.”

Seeing that Nancy was frozen in shock, Alderson jumped out of her cab to see if she could find anything to beat the dog away from Martin.

“I was just screaming for her to get the dog off him and I couldn’t find anything to use to get Buster off,” she said, adding she then dialed 911.

When Nancy sprang into action, it took precious seconds for her to coaxe the beast off her husband, Alderson said.

Nancy put the dog on its leash and stashed it inside and the pair went to work on the husband, who was bleeding profusely from the neck.

“We were putting towels on his neck, but there was just so much blood,” Alderson said.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/ ... 06125.html
Jp
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » May 30th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Awwww crap.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » May 30th, 2006, 6:53 pm

ok the article said the dog was aggressive in the past....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » May 30th, 2006, 7:28 pm

I don't believe the mix, not for a second.

There are far to many dogs that come in around here that were "bit by a Pit Bull" and its like, ya, right. At least 25% of the population here have no idea how to destinguish the breed, let alone in the heat of the moment when their dog is under attack.

I've had people ask if Oscar was a Boxer on numerous occaisions, if he had Great Dane in him, or Mastiff, or just plain "what breed is he?"

blech.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby luvmyangels » May 30th, 2006, 9:58 pm

That is really horrible.

Was the dog really mixed with Pit or is it because of the media?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jp » May 31st, 2006, 11:55 am

front page today a picture of the dog:
http://www.lfpress.com/
Jp
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » May 31st, 2006, 2:23 pm

I think that looks like a whole lotta lab :| not much Pit at all...
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby muse » May 31st, 2006, 2:35 pm

Malli wrote:I think that looks like a whole lotta lab :| not much Pit at all...

Thats what I was thinking.. I feel for all involved, just tragic.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby rockermom » May 31st, 2006, 4:50 pm

He looks like most of americas dogs.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Vanessa » May 31st, 2006, 5:11 pm

He doesn't look alot like a pitbull... This whole thing is so sad :(
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby blkngldbabe » June 1st, 2006, 10:55 am

http://news.google.ca/news?q=DOG%20KILLS%20OWNER&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

Heres a link to the google page with a pic..I couldn't get it to work since I'm on a proxy server at work..sorry. It IS a pitty mix. You can tell...it does look like it has alot of lab in it though.

blkngldbabe
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL