PIT BULLS MAUL L.I. WOMAN

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 9:55 am

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/69379.htm

May 31, 2006 -- An elderly Long Island woman out for a walk with her husband was viciously attacked by two pit bulls that tore into her face and neck, police said.

The unidentified 67-year-old woman was walking on West End Avenue in East Quogue at 8 p.m. Monday night when the two dogs ran up and attacked, said Southampton Town Police Sgt. Walter Britton.

The 21-year-old owner of the dogs, Gina Ciuzio, and several other neighbors who heard the commotion were able to pull the animals off their victim and restrain them.

The victim was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital where she was treated for her injuries and released.

Ciuzio was given two summonses for allowing her dogs to roam "at large" without a leash.

The animals were taken to a local shelter "pending a hearing to determine whether they are a danger," said Britton.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longi ... bigpix2005

Two pit bulls attack woman

BY CHRISTINE ARMARIO
Newsday Staff Writer

May 31, 2006

Its name means gentle and sweet, but the pit bull Dolce and buddy Tank were anything but as they attacked a 67-year-old woman taking a stroll with her husband in East Quogue after a Memorial Day dinner.

Though animal control officials said the attack was a first for Dolce and Tank, neighbors said they feared something like this would happen.

Anne and Terence Cooke had just seen their children and grandchildren off from their summer home when they decided to go for a walk down West End Avenue, as they had many times before. They were two blocks from their home when they spotted the pit bulls running freely in a neighbor's unfenced yard, said Terence Cooke.

Dolce, a beige pit bull, and Tank, who has a brindle coat, set their eyes on Anne Cooke.

"The two of them just charged ferociously," Terence Cooke said. The pit bulls -- which he called "demons" -- jumped on his wife so hard she lost her balance and fell onto the street, he said. They then bit into her face, attacking her cheeks, an ear and the left side of her neck.

Terence Cooke said he desperately tried to rescue his wife, but "They were so quick. They just dodge you."

Finally, neighbors and the pit bulls' owner, identified by police as Gina Ciuzio, brought Anne Cooke to safety. Bleeding but conscious, she was transported by helicopter from a nearby school to Stony Brook University Hospital. A plastic surgeon put a loose earlobe back in place and stitched the wounds caused by the bites.

She was released yesterday morning and was resting at her home that afternoon. "She's just happy it didn't happen when the grandchildren were there," Terence Cooke said.

Dolce and Tank were detained by Southampton Animal Control and will appear before the Southampton Town Justice Court in the coming weeks, said Southampton Animal Shelter Supervisor Don Bambrick. If a judge determines they are dangerous, Dolce and Tank could be euthanized or ordered to spend the rest of their days in a confined pen.

Yesterday, no one answered the door at Ciuzio's home. Police said she had told them the dogs got out when she opened the front door. Police said she had been given a summons for having dogs at large, a town code violation. Bambrick said there was no history of complaints against her address.

But neighbors on the block said their quiet community hasn't been the same since the pit bulls and their owners moved in about three months ago. They said a neighborhood association meeting was planned for next Saturday even before the attack to discuss the pit bull situation.

Molly Magee, 7, who lives around the corner from Ciuzo, described it as "scary to go outside" because the owners seem to have little control of the aggressive dogs. She said she had seen someone struggling to control one of the leashed dogs recently. Cindy Magee, her mother, said neighbors have called the animal shelter to complain before.

The Cookes and the Magees said they just want the dogs gone. "What I've heard of pit bulls, once they attack, they'll attack again," Cindy Magee said while standing on her front lawn. "And who's to say they won't?"
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 31st, 2006, 11:14 am

I think you should have to take a test or something to own dogs, any dogs, not just big ones. People just kill me. :x
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Maryellen » May 31st, 2006, 11:19 am

and here we go again.. the owners had a hard time controlling the dogs even on leash.. this is truly pathetic..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby muse » May 31st, 2006, 11:43 am

What makes these guys just attack without being provoked? I dont understand why they go after people the way they do. I understand why they go after other dogs, but a person just walking along the street, that confuses me.

Is it simply poor socialization? :|
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 31st, 2006, 11:52 am

poor genetics, no training, no socialization, its probably ALOT of those combined,,but the attacking a human is SCARY... i mean, they just picked her to attack??? why would a dog just attack a person for no reason?? i can see if you are on my property, and my dogs feel you will harm me, fine.. but to just attack someone in the STREET........... that is just wayyy wrong....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby muse » May 31st, 2006, 12:16 pm

Maryellen wrote:poor genetics, no training, no socialization, its probably ALOT of those combined,,but the attacking a human is SCARY... i mean, they just picked her to attack??? why would a dog just attack a person for no reason?? i can see if you are on my property, and my dogs feel you will harm me, fine.. but to just attack someone in the STREET........... that is just wayyy wrong....

Thats what I wonder too.. It just doesnt seem to add up with me. How can a dog be so loving in a home, then once outside turn and attack a human. Makes no sense.

Do you think they should be PTS?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby rockermom » May 31st, 2006, 12:29 pm

I need to hear more happy tails! ArGHHHHHH, I know someone who lives there. Damb it I hope it does not change their views.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » May 31st, 2006, 12:35 pm

muse wrote:Do you think they should be PTS?

I think any dog that runs up to someone and viciously attacks them should be PTS.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby msvette2u » May 31st, 2006, 12:47 pm

Maryellen wrote:poor genetics, no training, no socialization, its probably ALOT of those combined,,but the attacking a human is SCARY... i mean, they just picked her to attack??? why would a dog just attack a person for no reason?? i can see if you are on my property, and my dogs feel you will harm me, fine.. but to just attack someone in the STREET........... that is just wayyy wrong....

Most the time PBs were in the shelter it was due to situations just like this or they'd killed another animal. :|
I think any dog that is allowed to run, begans to feel "invincible" and something in it just keeps pushing and pushing.
I have seen it so many times, with every breed out there.
RUNNING is a huge factor, plus no discipline, nobody is "the boss" of it, so it is free to make its own decisions, including attacking and killing, whether it's a human or another animal.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby muse » May 31st, 2006, 1:31 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:
muse wrote:Do you think they should be PTS?

I think any dog that runs up to someone and viciously attacks them should be PTS.

Agreed.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 31st, 2006, 1:39 pm

How can a dog be so loving in a home, then once outside turn and attack a human

They aren't always so loving in the home, MOST times the dog has shown aggression before & either it was ignored or not properly handled.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 1:52 pm

This is just another unfortunate situation. The owner obviously could not control her dogs and sounds like they were terrorizing the area since they moved in three months ago based upon them having a community meeting set up prior to this happening. It is the irresponsible owners that make it difficult for those of us that are responsible.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 31st, 2006, 2:09 pm

yes the dog needs to be PTS.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby muse » May 31st, 2006, 2:13 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
How can a dog be so loving in a home, then once outside turn and attack a human

They aren't always so loving in the home, MOST times the dog has shown aggression before & either it was ignored or not properly handled.

Thats makes perfect sense. I was imagining my dog, I suppose, who has never shown any aggression towards people.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 2:15 pm

Maryellen wrote:yes the dog needs to be PTS.

I agree.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 31st, 2006, 2:36 pm

I saw this on the news last night. So sad.

The ACO was interviewed and said that there is no leash law in his city -- the dogs have to be "under supervision" while outside, but that's it.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Mahlon » May 31st, 2006, 2:49 pm

Remember that two dogs makes a pack, and packs do not behave the way individual dogs do. From the news accounts, it sounds like the dogs (possibly unintentionally) knocked the poor woman over, and things went downhill from there. I am guessing a lot of excitement, screaming, kicking, shouting--it may have triggered a response which normally would not have been seen.

The "poor genetics" argument is a cheap shot, in my opinion. There is no science behind it, however "official" the theory may sound.

Mahlon
Mahlon
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » May 31st, 2006, 2:51 pm

I agree, theres something about an unsupervised dog that is "running free" its a different mentality.
But mauling a person is a big step from acting a little wild.
99% of the time, I believe a dog that seriously bites has at least exhibited one type of behavior that foreshadows the bite. Some people just choose to excuse it, encourage it, or ingnore it and end up with the result we are seeing here.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby luvmyangels » May 31st, 2006, 3:28 pm

Mahlon wrote:

Remember that two dogs makes a pack, and packs do not behave the way individual dogs do. From the news accounts, it sounds like the dogs (possibly unintentionally) knocked the poor woman over, and things went downhill from there. I am guessing a lot of excitement, screaming, kicking, shouting--it may have triggered a response which normally would not have been seen.

The "poor genetics" argument is a cheap shot, in my opinion. There is no science behind it, however "official" the theory may sound.

Mahlon

If the dogs were properly trained there would be a pack leader in the household for them to follow. Since it seems the person had no control of the dogs one may make a judgment there was no training.

There has been a lot of question in each breed about poor genetics. So it is left open for each persons interpretation.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL