Recipes...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Jenn » May 30th, 2006, 4:12 pm

I need recipes!! :) I'm so tired of making the same old things all the time, tonight I'm wanting something with Shrimp, or Fish. I've never baked fish, and I've only ever fried shrimp or cooked it on the grill. So I figured we had a food thread, we need a recipe thread! Come on someone, share away! ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » May 30th, 2006, 4:16 pm

My favorite shrimp recipe.......EVER. ANY one from San Antonio will recognize the name. :)

Shrimp Paesano

1 egg
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound extra-large shrimp, peeled
and deveined, tails left on
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil

In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Dip shrimp in mixture, then dip in flour lightly.

Heat oil in a sauté pan until hot, then add shrimp 4 to 6 at a time, making sure shrimp have plenty of room to cook. (It's important that shrimp are not near each other or touch.) Brown them on one side, then turn and brown them on the other. Cook until done, or put on a baking sheet in a preheated 350 degrees F oven to finish cooking. Meanwhile, prepare sauce.

Sauce
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold butter,
cut into 1-inch pieces
Juice of 1 medium lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, lemon juice and garlic. Put over medium-low heat and whisk mixture constantly until the butter is just melted and thickened. Stir in parsley, then remove from heat.

Pool sauce on plate, then top with cooked shrimp. (Leftover sauce is also good with grilled or broiled seafood.)

Serves 3 to 4.

Or you can make shrimp quesidilla's, just put shrimp in with the cheese & pico digallo.

Or you can make fettucini alfredo & add the shrimp in that.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » May 30th, 2006, 4:26 pm

MMMMM... :P That sounds good!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » May 30th, 2006, 4:31 pm

JennKBM wrote:MMMMM... :P That sounds good!

Oh gawd it IS!!! Just be careful to barley brown the shrimp so that they stay "light" tasting with just a light batter. It is not a heavy dish at all, not like an alfredo or anything.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » May 30th, 2006, 5:03 pm

This'll be a good thread.

I don't go by "recipes" except for a few baking dishes, but I'll try and get a written concept for some of the things I make.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 30th, 2006, 5:06 pm

I'd like a good mac-n-cheese recipe if someone has one. I usually add chicken or tuna to it as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » May 30th, 2006, 5:11 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'd like a good mac-n-cheese recipe if someone has one. I usually add chicken or tuna to it as well.

I have one, but seriously, if you had it, you'd eat it all of the time and gain like 100 lbs!!!

My wife is black, so we've got a serious case of good mexican food as well as good soul food going on in the house. She makes this killer mac 'n' cheese that consists of the mac, some velveeta, milk, block cheddar, sugar, and a couple of other things.

It's so rich and thick it's ridiculous!

I'll get her to write it down if I can. That's one that I don't do because when she makes it, she usually makes two large catering trays worth, and I gain about 10lbs a week while it's in the house.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby girlie » May 30th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Oh crap written recipes....

I can give you basics if you have some food knowledge.

Mac n cheese:

Start by sweating down some diced onions, remove them from the pot. Make a basic blonde roux (in same pot) add milk to make a bechamel, add the onions back into it, then add whatever type of cheeses you like. Add that to some half cooked pasta, then put it all in a big baking dish and top it with more cheese, bake it until it's done :D

I'll try to make some within the next couple days and measure stuff out, but that's a start for you.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jenn » May 30th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Man I'm starving........

My MIL before she passed away, used to make this shrimp recipe that was to die for. I wish I would have asked her to show me how to make it just ONE time before she passed. It was Shrimp baked in the oven ~ also consisted of garlic, lemon, butter, some Tony's seasoning and I'm not sure what else. :| We'd peel and eat till we were about to blow, and always had garlic cheese bread to dip too. It was something cajun, that her brother taught her to make.. It can't be that difficult, but I imagine something else was thrown in the dish before baking.. I'd LOVE if someone knew what I was talking about!!! :D Anyone??
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » May 30th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Big_Ant wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I'd like a good mac-n-cheese recipe if someone has one. I usually add chicken or tuna to it as well.

I have one, but seriously, if you had it, you'd eat it all of the time and gain like 100 lbs!!!

My wife is black, so we've got a serious case of good mexican food as well as good soul food going on in the house. She makes this killer mac 'n' cheese that consists of the mac, some velveeta, milk, block cheddar, sugar, and a couple of other things.

It's so rich and thick it's ridiculous!

I'll get her to write it down if I can. That's one that I don't do because when she makes it, she usually makes two large catering trays worth, and I gain about 10lbs a week while it's in the house.

- Anthony

That sounds delicious!! Definitely get the recipe, I LOVE mac'n'cheese.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby call2arms » May 30th, 2006, 5:59 pm

I'm so hungry. My fake chicken nuggets and fries in the oven don't sound so good anymore compared to the decadent shrimp recipes... :drool:
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mistee06 » May 30th, 2006, 6:55 pm

my favourite thing to do with shrimp is saute them till their warm...cuz if you cook them too long they go like icky....anyways then melt some butter/margarine (whatever you like) and add garlic...then WALA! dip shrimp in sauce....lol..i grew up in the ocean and i cant think of any better way to eat shrimp...

i do have crab recipes....halibut (fish n chips), brown sugar salmon and a few other ones from my daddy though :D
mistee06
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Purple » May 30th, 2006, 8:59 pm

If anyone likes pierogies, I have a great pierogie lasagne recipe...
Purple
I live here

Postby Romanwild » May 30th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 cup gin
1 cup beer

Mix and drink while using recipes pn this thread.

It's called skip and go naked.

:wine:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 30th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Romanwild wrote:Pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 cup gin
1 cup beer

Mix and drink while using recipes pn this thread.

It's called skip and go naked.

:wine:

eew.... :?
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Sue » May 30th, 2006, 10:59 pm

If you like a little bit of bite...

Make some breaded chicken cutlets, but only cook until they are brown. Then bake in the oven with a jar of sliced cherry peppers (with the liquid). Serve with some pasta...
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Asta » May 31st, 2006, 9:02 am

Oh what a great thread Jenn!!! That shrimprecipe sounds delish Debby :) I will try and contribute when i get my fanny (yeah i spelt it that way from the start haha ) to Scotland! Doing Rotterdam, Holland this week.

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » May 31st, 2006, 9:22 am

This sounds good to me.

Note: No Dirty Dishes With This One! Have you ever heard of this? (This works great!) Good for when all of your family or friends get together and no one has to wait for their special omelet)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size zip-lock freezer bag with permanent marker. Crack 2 eggs (Large or Extra large) into the bag (not more than 2)
shake to combine them. Put out a variety of ingredients such as; cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hashbrowns, salsa, mushrooms, etc.
Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice in to their bag and shake, Make sure to get the air out of the bag and then zip it up.
Place the bags into rolling boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more make another pot of boiling water. Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit or toast . Everyone gets involved in the process and what a great conversation piece.

P.S. quote from one lady, "I tried it this weekend and mixed mine into a bowl before putting into bag, I also added salt, pepper and a little milk and a tiny sliver of butter. Since I had added so many ingredients, ours took 15 minutes to get done, and I was amazed as to how large and fluffy they turned out. It will be a staple in our house now for making omelets.

A friend used sandwich bags which melted, so use quart freezer bags ."
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 31st, 2006, 10:13 am

Do you like Salmon?

I like to get those wood slabs from Whole Foods, I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. Usually you have to soak them in water for 4 hours or so before grilling. (so it doesn't catch on fire!)
Place the fish on the wood slab.
Sprinkle the fish with a little salt, a little pepper, a little paprika, garlic salt. Next take some maple syrup and lightly drizzle it over the fish. Place the wood slab with the fish on the grill
I don't remember how long it takes to cook, but you can tell when it's done, the fish is more opaque.

It has a nice smoky, mapley flavor.
YUM!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Jenn » May 31st, 2006, 1:37 pm

:clap: I'm loving these recipes, and I can't wait to try making an omellette in a bag. (how the heck do you spell that? lol)

SO last night, I winded up making what is technically called Barbequed Shrimp. Not sure why it suddenly came to me (the name) but it did. I found this recipe online, and my daughter and I ate and ate! It was wonderful, and almost like my MIL's.

Here is the "technical" recipe. I did things a little different and will put it at the bottom. I suggest anyone that likes shrimp, and spicy food to give it a go! It was worth it!

Barbecue Shrimp Recipe
Compliments of Froggy Bottom Cookbook

Barbecue Shrimp Recipe

1 pound shrimp
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 stick margarine
3 to 4 dashes Tabasco

Preheat oven to 450-500 degrees

Wash and drain shrimp leaving shells on.

Place shrimp and margarine in pan (15x1-inch) deep enough to hold sauce.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper or pepper corns, juice of one lemon, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 3-4 dashes Tabasco.

Bake at 450-500 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Recipe doubles or triples well.

Serve with French bread for dipping into sauce. - Barbecue Shrimp Recipe.

In addition to Froggy Bottom Cookbook, there are many wonderful cajun cookbooks at New Orleans Showcase that offer a variety of Barbecue Shrimp Recipes , and other tempting cajun seafood dishes.

I used a little more butter than it says, and varied a little with seasonings. I put some minced Garlic, Tony's, Garlic powder, and the Worcestershire in the microwave, and melted it before I used it. I just kept adding, until it was as spicy as I wanted it, and tasted how I liked it. Once it was melted and I liked the way it tasted, I then just dumped it on the shrimp. (I just had the shrimp in the bottom of a glass casserole dish) It's much easier in my opinion, to melt the butter first, that way you know the level before it's melted. I didn't use the Tabasco, because I didn't have any ~ yet I imagine it would be good. I cut the lemons in half ~ squeezed them all over the top then sliced them up and threw some of the slices in with the shrimp. I used the same oven setting, and took them out every 5 minutes to stir. (The ones on top were cooking the fastest, of course so it's a necessity to stir them) I bought some of that "Texas Toast ~ Garlic Bread" to serve with the shrimp. It's messy, we just sat the dish on the table with some paper plates for the shells and went to town. The juice is excellent to dip the bread in. It's super easy, and super fast as well.
Jenn
undecided

Next

Return to Off-Topic