38 pit bull seized from home in Denver

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » May 30th, 2006, 11:54 am

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_3878764?source=rss#

Cries alert cops to 38 pit bulls at home
By Kirk Mitchell and Julianne Bentley
Denver Post Staff Writers

Authorities found 38 caged dogs Monday at a home at 1892 S. Raleigh St. in Denver after neighbors had complained about vicious-sounding barking, yelping and crying. (9News)

A Harvey Park neighborhood was filled with yelps and barks so fierce that residents began calling police.

When officers arrived at 1892 S. Raleigh St. on Monday, they found 38 pit bulls packed in cages, police said.

The dogs' owner - Michael Padilla, 38 - was cited for cruelty and neglect and having the banned dogs in Denver.

Padilla also was taken to a local hospital because one of the dogs had bitten off the tip of a finger, authorities said.

Padilla said in an interview later Monday that his finger was not bitten off by his dogs. Rather, he was unstacking the crates of two dogs when his fingertip got stuck in between, he said.

"There was a lot of commotion," Padilla said. "Somehow it pinched, and my finger got cut off."

Neighbors began calling police before midnight Friday complaining about dogs bawling and barking, said Virginia Quiñones, Denver police spokeswoman.

"It was horrible - it sounded like someone was being attacked or they were fighting," said Rita Poitra, 59, who lives across the street from the single-family ranch house.

Police found several caged pit bulls outside, some with dried blood on them and scars apparently from fighting other dogs, Quiñones said.

Padilla said the blood came from his severed finger.

"I don't fight them," said Padilla, a locksmith by trade.

He said he told police that the animals were used sometimes as show dogs and that he raises and sells them as a hobby. Primarily, the pit bulls are bred and then sold through his website, The Pit Shop.

The site sells "UKC or ADBA registered" "XL Large, thick head, low to the ground, large mouth, monster size pits" and the breeders "are trying to bring these misunderstood gentle loving dogs into a more positive light."

Police, however, disagreed with his characterization.

"Anyone that is familiar with show dogs would know that these dogs were in no condition to be in the show ring," Quiñones said. "The dogs were all extremely massive and were obviously agitated."

Padilla said he told police he had arrived May 23 from Texas and was supposed to be moving to Brighton with the dogs. The animals were anxious and edgy from being in their kennels, he added.

He said he was unaware the dogs were illegal in Denver.

Padilla's mother lives at the house, said owner Steven Ivey, 50. He allowed Padilla and his dogs to stay briefly.

"It was an innocent deal," Ivey said. "They were closing on a house in Adams County. It was a mess up with the Realtors, or they would have already moved."

Ivey was not cited, Quiñones said.

Padilla said he didn't release the pit bulls from their kennels because there was an inadequate fence.

"It's not cruel. What are you supposed to do? Even the shelter is going to put them in cages," Padilla said.

Doug Kelly, director of Denver animal control, said there were 19 puppies and 19 adult dogs. Most were in good health, but one was taken to an animal hospital for treatment.

He said animal-control officers will confirm that the dogs are pit bulls. If Padilla can verify they are headed to a city where pit bulls are allowed, at least some can be returned. But if the town has limits on the number of animals, at least some will be put down.

"It will take some time to figure out what we've got," Kelly said.

Staff writer Kirk Mitchell can be reached at 303-820-1206 or kmitchell@denverpost.com.

:nono:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 30th, 2006, 12:02 pm

:mad2: Some people are a total waste of air, I do believe this guy is one of them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » May 30th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Seriously! Thanks for messing up what all the people fighting against BSL have been working for, a-hole! :x

Here's his kennel of "show dogs": http://www.diablopitkennels.com/home.htm

The irony is his page listing bad breeders! Look who's talking!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 30th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Well what a fabulous step backwards this guy did for the fight in Denver. Lovely. :evil:

And those dogs are . . . gross. Did you also notice that in some of the pics the photos are warped to make the dogs seem even lower and wider? What's the point?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 30th, 2006, 12:36 pm

I can't get past the front page.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » May 30th, 2006, 12:43 pm

that is truly pathetic. although i am glad they were caught, there is no way he was a show person.. and i feel sorry for the dogs, as they will be the ones who suffer..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 30th, 2006, 12:45 pm

:o :o :o

Now we know where that video came from...the male puking all over after a breeding...??? whatcha wanna bet...??

Ironic he should have a "bad breeders" list on his site...
http://www.diablopitkennels.com/badbreedslist.htm
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 30th, 2006, 4:23 pm

That made me really sad. All those poor dogs. :(
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 21st, 2006, 4:14 pm

just read on another list, the owner mike padilla pleaded no contest, and all the dogs were euthanized.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 21st, 2006, 4:20 pm

How sad :cry:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » July 21st, 2006, 4:21 pm

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 21st, 2006, 4:35 pm

They have been euthenized. RIP innocent doggies. :(
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Marinepits » July 21st, 2006, 4:58 pm

What does the "owner" get for pleading no contest? Any jail time?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » July 21st, 2006, 5:19 pm

i dont know. all i know is a few years ago he was told to not have any pitbulls in denver, and he promised to never bring any back... now the dogs suffered
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » July 22nd, 2006, 12:55 pm

Maryellen wrote:just read on another list, the owner mike padilla pleaded no contest, and all the dogs were euthanized.

Not sure where that info. is coming from, because the last I read on the 20th, he had a hearing on August 7th to determine his sentence and that of the dogs.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 22nd, 2006, 2:06 pm

Latest update: :cry:

Denver kills 36 pit bulls

By Sarah Langbein, Rocky Mountain News
July 21, 2006
Tami Bishop lost her fight to keep three-dozen pit bulls alive when the owner of the dogs gave them up to avoid jail.

The dogs were euthanized Thursday night after Denver Animal Control received a court order to put the dogs down, the shelter’s executive director, Doug Kelley, said Friday.

The dogs’ owner, Michael Padilla, entered into a plea agreement that would keep him out of jail. He also signed over ownership of the pooches to the city.

"I’d end up going to jail and still not getting the dogs back," Padilla said Friday. "I didn’t have no choice. I got a family to feed and bills to pay. They steam-rolled me."

Kelley said the dogs had to be euthanized because it was Padilla’s second pit bull offense in Denver where the breed is banned.

But Bishop argued the city misinterpreted its dog ordinance and had other choices, including her offer to transport the pit bulls out of state — with her own money.

She was on a plane Friday afternoon and unaware that the dogs, including 13 puppies, had been killed. She only knew that the pit bulls were no longer at the shelter, she said in a voicemail message.

On May 29, 38 pit bulls owned by Padilla were seized from a home in Denver. Padilla said he was moving from Texas to a new home in Adams County but stopped in Denver to pick up and move his ill mother.

Neighbors complained the dogs were barking and crammed into cages on the property.

Padilla was cited for cruelty to animals, animal neglect and violating Denver’s pit bull ban. The dogs were removed from his care, and two were put down because of illness.

Padilla was also convicted in 2002 for having a pit bull in Denver. At that time, Padilla signed an affidavit promising not to bring pit bulls back into the city. If he did, the dogs may be euthanized, according to the document.

And that’s what happened Thursday, when they were given a fatal dose of sodium barbitol, which costs the city between $30 and $45 a bottle.

"I feel like I let the dogs down," Padilla said. "I feel really guilty. My whole family is sick over it.

"The law needs to be changed. This is ridiculous."

Padilla was given a 90-day suspended jail sentence and a fine of $500, which was also suspended. He’ll be on probation for one year. If he receives anything other than a traffic violation, he’ll be sent to jail, according to the terms of the plea agreement.

Kelley said his employees are shaken up by the loss of the dogs. But he also said that it’s a relief because the dogs were there "way too long."

"This is a really difficult thing for the staff," he said. "It tugs at your emotions. It’s a tough day for everybody."

Padilla disagrees, saying that he believes the city was set on killing his dogs, which were said to have a sweet disposition.

"That’s how sick these people are," he said of the city and its pit bull ordinance. "They were happy to kill my dogs."

Padilla said he’s looking into suing the city.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/l ... 85,00.html
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby a-bull » July 22nd, 2006, 3:33 pm

very sad . . .

Thank you for the update.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 22nd, 2006, 4:00 pm

Horrible update.

In the article, though, it says that 36 dogs were euthed by 38 were seized. I wonder what happened to the other two dogs . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 22nd, 2006, 4:34 pm

Apparently they got sick in the shelter and had to be euthenized. I think they were puppies. :(
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby NcPrisonguard » July 24th, 2006, 12:36 am

This blows me away.. 1500.. 1200.. 2000.. for dogs. Did ya'll pay that much for yours? I paid a total of 370.00 for both of my dogs, Boomer ( no papers 120.00) Cheyenne (BFKC, ABDA in process 250.00) I just can't imagine dropping that amount on a dog.
NcPrisonguard
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL