How does you Kibble Rate?? Very interesting Reviews

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Verderben » May 28th, 2006, 8:30 pm

I like this site. It has Most brands of dog food rated 1 - 6 stars has all ingredients, Lists the pros and cons of the food AND gives an explaination of WHY it got the rating it did. You May be surprised to see what some food rated and why. Also the 1 star foods are fun to go through because some say... recieved 1 star because there is nothing lower lol and alot of the ingredients of the one star foods are crazy. ( yes I actually sat here over a two day period and read EVERY rating 1 - 6 stars.. It was very interesting IMO )

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » May 28th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Thanks, T. Interesting website! :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 28th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Awesome site! Thanks, I'll for sure pass it on to others. :D
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 28th, 2006, 9:29 pm

You mean to tell me that Purina and Diamond are only 1 star?! *gasp*

*snicker*

What a cool website! Talk about putting time into a project! I love the commentary on each one, it's very helpful. I will look around more, but I may start to steer my clients into the direction of this website when they ask about diet. Thanks so much for posting it!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Vanessa » May 28th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Royal Canine only got 1 star :?
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Purple » May 28th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Hey, T, that's a find and a half!! Thanks for sharing!!
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » May 28th, 2006, 9:40 pm

I agree, thanks for sharing!!!! :)

Now, I'd like to know which of the 5 or 6 star feeds can be found at Petco or Petsmart? Anyone know if any? :|
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Verderben » May 28th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Forgot to put this link up as well...About WHY you SHOULD rotate foods....

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Verderben » May 28th, 2006, 9:43 pm

JennKBM wrote:I agree, thanks for sharing!!!! :)

Now, I'd like to know which of the 5 or 6 star feeds can be found at Petco or Petsmart? Anyone know if any? :|

lol I work at petsmart and the ONLY good food we sell on there is Blue buffalo.... Petco has Dick Van Pattens ... If anyone has a Pet Supplies Plus nearby they sell alot of the 4 and 5 star foods for reasonable price and can order any of the 5 and 6 star foods for you . All you gotta do is ask them.
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Purple » May 28th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Pet Supply Plus is usually very accomodating. If they can get it, they will order it for you!
Purple
I live here

Postby Malli » May 29th, 2006, 4:44 am

Does anyone know what education the person who compiled this has? Dog nutritionalist? etc?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Romanwild » May 29th, 2006, 7:30 am

I think I might switch and try Chicken Soup since I can get it. I've had them on EVO since it came out. They're doing great on it and love it but I need to switch like the other link suggests.

I know that's a good idea but they've done so well I was afraid to change. :|

I can get the California Natural too.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 29th, 2006, 9:24 am

I would for sure be feeding California Natural if it agreed with all of my dogs. Unfortunately, Shades, my "stomach of steel" dog couldn't handle it. :?
I buy Canidae at our Pet Supplies Plus. They also have Chicken Soup, Wysong, and Solid Gold. I can't find the Merrick kibble anywhere, though. We do feed Merrick canned occasionally. The dogs LOVE that.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 29th, 2006, 8:34 pm

I like those websites Verbeden. We have Satin on Wellness Simple Food Solutions venison which rated a 4. On the scoring system someone posted a couple threads back it rated at about a 95.
She does great on it but I want to try the Timberwolf Elk or Bison. Especially since I want to try something different anyway.
Thanks for the good information!!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 29th, 2006, 8:35 pm

We have also fed Solid Gold Wolf King and liked that as well. That rated at a 4 on this dog food analysis website.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » May 29th, 2006, 10:06 pm

5 stars! Timberwolf Elk and Timberwolf Bison. :)

I'm totally saving that site to refer to people, thanks for posting!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby turtle » May 30th, 2006, 12:02 am

That's an interesting site! Thanks for posting it.

I've not had time to read all the food reviews but I wish they did not have those 42% protein foods like EVO and Raw Instincts rated as the highest at # 6. Those foods have way to much protein to be healthy for a dog with long term feeding.

I was surprised to see that they recommend feeding 2 3/4 cups of Timberwolf to a 50 pound dog!

I feed TW and when I was feeding just kibble, she got 1 1/4 cups of the kibble (she's 50 pounds). She did just fine on that amount so I'd say keep an eye on your dog and don't consider the bag guidelines infallible! When I started feeding her half raw, I had to reduce the TW even more as she was getting chubby! She gets a small bit of raw in the AM and 1/2 cup kibble in the PM.

Oh, and my local Pet Supplies Plus carries the Merrick kibble so I'd think any of that chain could order it for you if they don't stock it.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby odnarb » May 30th, 2006, 1:33 am

gf turtle wrote:I've not had time to read all the food reviews but I wish they did not have those 42% protein foods like EVO and Raw Instincts rated as the highest at # 6. Those foods have way to much protein to be healthy for a dog with long term feeding.

I feed Evo to one of my dogs, but I'm still skeptical about it. I see some that say it has to much protein, and some that say it's fine for a healthy dog.

I am curious, is there research either way?
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » May 30th, 2006, 8:05 am

I've been hearing that since it came out and no one has produced anything with real science behind it. Personally I don't beleive there is anything wrong with it short or long term. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 30th, 2006, 9:45 am

Malli wrote:Does anyone know what education the person who compiled this has? Dog nutritionalist? etc?

Malli

I haven't been able to find any info about the person/s that wrote these reviews. Has anyone else?

My vet thinks it's a great link, but she will not recommend it until she knows the person's background.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health