Lyme Disease

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » May 29th, 2006, 9:10 am

My sister lives upstate NY and had gotten all the shots for her dog including the lyme disease shot. But somehow her dog ended up with lyme disease anyway.

I typically have given the shots to my older dog since we go to the Poconos in PA every year. This will be the first year the two young one's will go. The place we stay is in the middle of the woods with waterfalls and deer all around.

Anyone ever had this problem with Lyme Disease? What shots does everyone give their dogs?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 29th, 2006, 9:21 am

I've heard bad things about the Lymes disease vaccine. I would never give it.

Hendrix, however, does have a very mild case of lymes. He is totally fine. :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Favorite Kitty » May 29th, 2006, 9:39 am

I just had two vets tell me in the last week that if you give your dog the Lyme vaccine it WILL test positive for Lyme. If your sisters vet did not tell her that and is making her treat her dog for it, then she needs to get the hell away from that vet! I have also been told by several vets and staff that the Lyme vaccine is nothing but bad!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » May 29th, 2006, 9:48 am

The Lyme vaccine isn't very effective. I always bypass it.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » May 29th, 2006, 9:50 am

There is not guarantee with the vacc. However it does give some protection form what I understand.

The best thing to do is check your dog everytime they come in from outside. If you find one this is a good way to handle it:

Removal of ticks

If a tick becomes attached, the simplest method of removal is a slow, steady pull that will not break off the mouthparts, thus leaving them in the wound. Application of alcohol, vaseline, gasoline and other substances do not work well - nor does the use of a hot match or other heat source.

The pull should be steady but very slow - usually after 20-30 seconds of a slow pull, the tick will release its bite and separate from the skin. Pulling much quicker than this will usually break off the head, and it will remain in the skin. It is often recommended to remove ticks with a forceps, but pulling with the fingers is more sensitive and less likely to pull the head off. Fingers are always available as well, and early removal of the tick is less likely to result in infection with a tick borne disease. After removal it is important to wash the hands, since tick secretions may be infective. If the head does separate, it is best to have the remaining portion removed by a vet.

If you find it before they are engorged you should be o.k.. They don't secrete the bad stuff until they disengage which is usually after 24 hours.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby turtle » May 29th, 2006, 11:26 am

Yes, I don't give the Lyme vaccine either. I've known of too many dogs that get Lyme anyway even after the vaccine. And it can give a false positive or the dog could have a bad reaction to it.

I check my dog a lot for ticks, they are all over this area, both the dog ticks and the tiny deer ticks. I just found 4 on her Saturday night from her walk earlier that day. I just pull them off and they usually have not been on her more than an hour so they are not really dug in. Ewww!! Nasty things! I hate ticks!

They are pretty easy to find on a short haired dog but sometimes I have missed one. What do you all do if the damn tick breaks off and the head is still stuck in there? I've actually taken a razor blade dipped in alcohol to sterilize it, and cut the head parts out, then washed it really well and put Neosporin on it. But if there is a better way to deal with it...?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Sue » May 29th, 2006, 12:11 pm

I have 2 dogs with Lyme's, both shep mixes - even have it myself! They are tested every year and if needed are given the run of antibiotics. I haven't heard anything about the vaccine that would prompt me to give it. I'm not to worried about Rory, her hair is so short, I can spot one on her. Usually the advantix works well. Both are doing well, but one is 9 years old, so I'm watching him carefully and getting bloodwork done to make sure his kidney's are functioning...

We had taken in my in laws 15 year old lab a few years ago and she died from renal failure - she had lyme's that went undetected... It is a very painful way to watch your dog die :(
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby luvmyangels » May 29th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:I just had two vets tell me in the last week that if you give your dog the Lyme vaccine it WILL test positive for Lyme. If your sisters vet did not tell her that and is making her treat her dog for it, then she needs to get the hell away from that vet! I have also been told by several vets and staff that the Lyme vaccine is nothing but bad!

I am going to tell my sister that and see what she tells me.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 29th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Does anyone give the lepto vaccine?

I know both the lyme and leptp are vaccines that were created within the last 10 years if I am not mistaken.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 29th, 2006, 2:56 pm

I dont vaccinate, but a friend of mine had an American Bulldog that died from Lepto. He took him to Cornell, spent thousands of dollars on him, but still couldnt save the poor boy. :(
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 29th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:

I dont vaccinate, but a friend of mine had an American Bulldog that died from Lepto. He took him to Cornell, spent thousands of dollars on him, but still couldnt save the poor boy. :(

That had to be so hard on your friend.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pocketpit » May 29th, 2006, 3:35 pm

I give lepto vaccines to my crew and I'm really glad as we had a recent outbreak in a nearby area.
If I had a small breed of dog I might hesitate more as historically they are way more prone to having a reacation to the Lepto vaccine.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 29th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Right it is true that the bacterium that causes Lyme (not Lymes) disease needs 24 hours to be transmitted from the tick.

Even if the vaccine isn't effective in all dogs, I wouldn't say it is bad. Some animals have reactions to vaccines, but all in all I wouldn't call the vaccine "bad news."
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health