Less Than Heroic?

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Verderben » May 25th, 2006, 6:54 pm

This is ashame. Scamming people for money does NOTHING possitive for this breed! It just make people say see look they are ALL crooks and bad guys. By scamming people she has done nothing but give the breed yet another black eye. and it looks especially bad because this is someone who is supposed to be a possitive roll model for the breed.

http://www.10news.com/news/9273759/detail.html

Less Than Heroic?
Dog Handler Accused Of Scamming Those Who Help Her

POSTED: 9:19 am PDT May 25, 2006
UPDATED: 10:05 am PDT May 25, 2006
Email This Story | Print This Story
SAN DIEGO -- Kristine Crawford has gained recognition for being an excellent dog handler and working with elite search and rescue teams.

She claims to be an advocate for the "misunderstood" pitbull. And her appearances on national television have given her widespread exposure of her worthy efforts to help those lost.

Crawford's appearances have also given her credibility in the tight-knit search and rescue community. For example, when the Columbia shuttle mission ended in disaster in 2003, Crawford was called upon by NASA's K-9 team leader , who knew of her reputation.

Crawford was also there when searchers went looking for and found Lacy Peterson's body.

Her rescue efforts are highlighted on her Web site. The site also includes credit card payment options for her nonprofit educational program.

So, a protector of the pitbull and a heroine of search and rescue efforts -- what's not to like about Crawford? That's where this story takes a very ugly turn.

Laura and Wayne Rathe opened their hearts and their home to Crawford six years ago.

"We befriended her. She started coming into our home," Linda Rathe said.

Over time, Crawford revealed her "tragic" story to the Rathes: that she had cancer with only six months to live.

"She would drive to our house and Wayne and I would go out to the car, carry her in, put her in our spare bedroom," Rathe said.

The Rathes told Crawford they wanted Hospice care to help her in her last days and a oncologist to help them understand her needs. She disappeared without a word the next day.

Years later, the Rathes heard about another search and rescue family, the Kellys , who opened their home to a woman dying of cancer.

"She claimed she had adult lupus and metastic stage five cancer," Kimberly Kelly said.

Crawford told Kelly she had one month and two days to live.

The Rathes contacted Kelly to warn her about Crawford. That's when Crawford refused to talk to a doctor about her medical history.

"Everything was a total fabrication," Kelly said.

Crawford told Kelly her father died in the Sept. 11 terror attacks and her husband died in a car wreck in Colorado.

"To use the events of 9-11 and bastardize that into a personal drama so you can get money out of people is unforgiveable," Kelly said.

Kelly and Rathe said they are puzzled by Crawford's strange behavior and upset after spending thousands of dollars to help Crawford. But what really hurts, is the deceit.

"When my sister died of cancer, that's when I really got angry at her," Rathe said.

10News investigative reporter Marti Emerald tried repeat edly to talk to Crawford through friends and family, but got no response.

Emerald called the attorney representing Crawford on two theft charges for allegedly stealing a human skeleton from Menlo College, used, apparently, in her education program. The attorney did not respond either.

There are at least three other people who may have fallen for Crawford's story, including some on the East Coast.
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » May 28th, 2006, 8:21 am

wow

I had heard rumors but wow.

We don't need this. :(
Romanwild
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 28th, 2006, 8:26 am

That is extremely screwed up but seems like there is a lot more to the story.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 28th, 2006, 8:44 am

She's always one of the people touted as having great dogs, being a great owner, etc. It's a shame to hear things like this. :|
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » May 28th, 2006, 11:50 am

I heard this a few days ago but with the whirlwind we have had around here I forgot to post it. Yeah, she is a real piece of work that one. I am GLAD they are on to that liar. She has lied about her DOGS, her RESCUES, you name it. I can't believe Tia from Villialobas Pit Bull Rescue fell for her crap. There has been evidence about her dealings for years. When I get off of this laptop & have persmission to post what I have I wil do so.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby turtle » May 28th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Sigh... It's like a black eye in the face of the problems this breed faces.

I've heard the rumors myself for a few years. Her dogs are great and they have helped the public image immensely for some years now, but their owner... well, it sounds like she has some metal problems. Personally I wish it was all handled in the courts where it belongs and not splashed across the news media as it does nothing but discredit the dogs we all love.

To read more, there is a 5 page thread on Kris Crawford on PBF:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=42689

From what is posted there, it sounds like Tia of Villa Lobos rescue was also taken in by her...

And DJ has a page defending her on her web site:

http://www.workingpitbull.com/bulletinboard3.html

(Mods, if this is out of line, feel free to remove the links. I posted them in the value of free speech and because it gives more perspective to the matter, not to stir trouble.)
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 28th, 2006, 1:02 pm

As far as I know there is not a problem with crossposting on this board. It's out there, it's information, I see no problem with it. It could be the same thing I was sent, I haven't looked at the links yet.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » May 28th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Yep, it's what I ws sent. I have that same email that is on page 3 of the first link. Sadly, people still try to defend her. She's good...........I'l give her THAT. She has scammed thousans upon thousands of dollars in donations because of her lies. Pit bulls or NOT, she DESERVES to be exposed. People NEED to know this so that they can stop being ripped off.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » May 28th, 2006, 1:31 pm

That's so sad. It sounds like she has some sort of mental disorder where she craves the attention that people who are ill get. I would really like to see her get some help as opposed to just being bashed (by pit and non-pit owners alike).

I had a friend out at college for two years. Suddenly she disappeared. It was because her mother outed her as a compulsive liar . . . everything she had told us, her family life, her stories, were lies. They were all for attention, it was a serious mental disorder. We (our group of friends) tried to contact her back at her parents' house in NYC (where she fled to) but she was so embarrassed that she refused to talk to us. We just wanted to let her know that we were behind her. Deep down she was a good person (she helped me out of MANY jams) but she just needed more and more attention and the lying just escalated. I feel like this is what's happening with this woman. She does good (her SAR stuff is legit, right? . . . unlike that Golden Retriever guy), but still craves more so she has to lie about being ill from people who she enjoys and then doesn't know what to do when she gets caught. It's very sad and I hope she will one day get the help that she needs.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 28th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Not ALL of her SAR stuff is legit, some of it ( a good portion) is made up. Not all of EVERY thing about her is made up. Hopefully the public will see this more of a "person" issue than a "pit bull" issue. It is not about the breed. She seems to be a sick person, no doubt, but sick people sometimes hurt more than just themselves & are not immune to the law. I'm not saying you are impying that.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » May 28th, 2006, 2:26 pm

WHY did I click onto diane jessup's blog???? :bigCry: :bigCry: I am soooo getting you for that one Sara!! :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » May 28th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Awwww but I did read tha Grip passed away. That is so sad. :cry: :cry:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby turtle » May 28th, 2006, 4:28 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:WHY did I click onto diane jessup's blog???? :bigCry: :bigCry: I am soooo getting you for that one Sara!! :wink:

LOL, well I did put down in my post that it was her site in the link... :| :D

And I also saw that old Grip died. She was quite a dog that one. RIP old lady dog, you have my respect.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 28th, 2006, 6:32 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I'm not saying you are impying that.

Yes you are, stop attacking me!!!

:wink:

Well if not all of her SAR stuff is legit then I don't feel AS bad . . . still bad though. She obviously does need to have some sort of legal intervention, but I do hope it will include psychiatric help.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Karen » May 28th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Kimberly Kelly-Falconer has been harassed and stalked by Kris for 3 years. Kim is a wonderful person and with her difficult family life (handicapped daughter with a heart as big as the sky) Kris just saw another sucker she could sponge off of. Kim cared for Kris' three dogs even getting treatment for Tahoe's allergies etc. OUT OF HER OWN POCKET. She paid bills Kris had and Kris lived there for free while she was "dying" and when she was unveiled as a fraud and thrown out, she purposefully injured herself while TRYING TO BREAK INTO KIM'S HOUSE!

I stated back in 2000 that Kris was a liar and no one listened. I read the newspaper article about Tahoe being found in a dumpster (what is it with whackos and dumpsters?) yadda yadda. I had SEEN Tahoe on Pam's site she was so proud to have SOLD this person a dog for SAR (Kris got the dog for a huge discount and said she wanted to show) and was told Tahoe would be shown to her UKC CH. Lies, allllllllllllllll lies.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Karen » May 28th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Here is the email I got from Kimberly
I've been questioning this idiot for YEARS. I was right on the money. This is just in on the latest. It is hilarious about Tia I can't stand her either.

Subj: A favor to ask, in re Kris Crawford - Pitbull Forum
Date: 5/22/2006 11:47:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Odnarb and Pit Bull Forum Staff:

As you know, from my emails, and other private discussions over the years, Kris Crawford has been accused of some ugly damn behavior (I have been one of her biggest accusers).

What you may or may not know, is that one of her latest victims is Tia Torres, from Villalobos Pit Rescue, who took Kris in, gave her a job, gave her a home, gave her a second chance when she thought Kris was being victimized. Kris repaid Tia's kindess and goodness by scamming her, threatening her, lying and harrassing and stalking her, by attempting to damage Tia's reputation and marriage. The exact same things she did to me and my family, and multiple others.

Since Tia kicked her out, Kris moved in with yet another family, and did the same thing. Her immediate whereabouts are currently unknown, but word is, fairly reliably, that she's moved in with yet another family.

10News, http://www.10news.com, an ABC affiliate, received several complaints about Kris, from people she's scammed. They began investigation, and after working with multiple victims, including me, and reviewing court documents (civil suit records for fraud, faking cancer, theft, harrassment, stalking, and related, as well as criminal court transcripts in which Kris pleads guilty/nolo contendre to embezzlement, and theft of a human skeleton), decided to proceed forward.

ABC 10 News will be airing an investigative piece on Kris and the damage she has wreaked on the SAR community, and pit community. There are multiple victims who are speaking out, on camera.

They are already running clips, showing multiple pictures of Kris, and calling her the story that had all the makings of a "hero", but instead turned into a "massive fraud, con artist, and sociopath".

ABC 10 will be offering the story both live on their website, http://www.10news.com, on Wednesday night, but also airing at their 11 news, in addition to sharing with affiliate stations who had victims in their area, and or cooperated in the investigation, as well as a live feed offer to ABC national and CNN.

I ask you, please, now that it's a matter of legal, civil and criminal record, will you please let me post? Will you let me post the information about Wednesday night's broadcast?

This is no longer, "she said, she said".... Please.

Kimberly R. Kelly Falconer
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL