weight pulling on a walk

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby PittieLove » May 25th, 2006, 8:53 am

mnp13 wrote:I pulled Riggs yseterday on a 20 minute walk. He pulled one tire, which I didn't think was much but through higher grass and over rough ground he had to put forth some effort. I got some weird looks :|

i get the looks too, someone asked me what was with the tire and i explained. He said good luck!
I really want to compete, erg, stupid training LOL!
what else is good training?
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby grizzly » May 25th, 2006, 11:41 pm

when griz pulls 100lbs on a drag its more like 2500lbs plus
griz's son rolli only drag 80lbs and has never pulled more than 2200lbs
the winstead tractor supply co pull was one of the best pulling tracks last year- that weekend was a personal best for griz until we went enfield in april
as far as the weights- the numbers don't matter the hardest thing to do is judge your dogs performance
take it slow -work the mind first
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 26th, 2006, 9:20 am

So do you have a chart of sorts which tells you what the comparitive weight is, from drag to wheels?

My sled is a plastic kids sled, with a flange and a pipe where the seat is. I can slide weight over the pipe. The bottom has 1 inch washers and 1/2 inch nuts protruding from the bottom to hold the flange on, so there is quite a bit of drag. Tallulah can handle 10 pound like it wasn't there, 25 with effort, but 35 she cannot start on her own, so we don't go that far. She is only 37 pounds, and we pull on grass.

I have been worried that if she can't pull 35 on drag then she will not be able to pull 75 on cart, but it sounds like maybe I am wrong?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby PittieLove » May 26th, 2006, 9:59 am

grizzly wrote:when griz pulls 100lbs on a drag its more like 2500lbs plus
griz's son rolli only drag 80lbs and has never pulled more than 2200lbs
the winstead tractor supply co pull was one of the best pulling tracks last year- that weekend was a personal best for griz until we went enfield in april
as far as the weights- the numbers don't matter the hardest thing to do is judge your dogs performance
take it slow -work the mind first

i have been just working with a lawn mower(it is as close to a cart as i have) becuase he hates things behind him, he is getting much better at that. :| but what else should i be doing if i want a good puller?
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby grizzly » May 27th, 2006, 1:12 am

i have been just working with a lawn mower(it is as close to a cart as i have) becuase he hates things behind him, he is getting much better at that. but what else should i be doing if i want a good puller?

once he is more comfortable with pulling start changing up the cart/skid/chains- the more different things you trail with the the more he will just get used to it
as far as making a good puller just feep working him and make sure when you walk away from your dog he starts to pull immedately
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby grizzly » May 27th, 2006, 1:34 am

So do you have a chart of sorts which tells you what the comparitive weight is, from drag to wheels?

My sled is a plastic kids sled, with a flange and a pipe where the seat is. I can slide weight over the pipe. The bottom has 1 inch washers and 1/2 inch nuts protruding from the bottom to hold the flange on, so there is quite a bit of drag. Tallulah can handle 10 pound like it wasn't there, 25 with effort, but 35 she cannot start on her own, so we don't go that far. She is only 37 pounds, and we pull on grass.

I have been worried that if she can't pull 35 on drag then she will not be able to pull 75 on cart, but it sounds like maybe I am wrong?

no charts more just experince
when you get more serious about traing and competeing you really learn your dogs limits
grizzly's mile drag limit is 160-200lbs-thats what he will give me full mile pulls
grizzly' cart limit is between 3000-4000lbs
comparitively speaking 160lbs drag = 3000lbs cart
these are just examples not proven facts
my drag is a 32"square-4x4posts bolted together to make a stoneboat(thats what they call it with horses)
by using solid 4x4s he won't wear through in
it has quite abit of resistance
with a 35lb dog i would use a chain
chain will drag over most all surfaces
to add weight you attach window weights to the chain
the window weight are torpedo shaped and usally weigh 3-6-9-11lbs-so you could add alittle weight at a time
i think the bolts sticking out under your sled dig in too much with the 35lbs
i would quess that by pulling 25lbs skid=at least 250lbs cart
most dogs can pull 300-400lbs easily
the key is teaching her she can move the item shes tied to
are you going to the enfield pull?
do you have access to window weights?
i have quite a few i don't use i could give you
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby grizzly » May 27th, 2006, 1:43 am

there is a web site-harnessbycarol-i think-i know there is a link off iwpa.net
under equipment
on carols web site there are 3 training articals-read them all very useful
but remember not any one method of training will work for all dogs
you needto read all of it and decide what works best for you
mark lander's artical is real detailed
i like glen williams artical differnt point of view
i think anyone interested in pullin should read these articals

ps carol is the best harness maker in the country-period
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby PittieLove » May 27th, 2006, 9:56 am

thanx for al the info :clap:

I dont have any window weights, i dont think i have ever seen one.
Ivan is 55lbs, so what should i use on a walk you think? He is still doing good with the 15lbs tire. Do dogs that are more in shape do better at the pull(if well trained)? I do lots of running, spring pole, and other stuff with him. Should that be before or after a weight pull walk/train? Im going to go read that training article!
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby grizzly » May 27th, 2006, 11:41 pm

I dont have any window weights, i dont think i have ever seen one.
Ivan is 55lbs, so what should i use on a walk you think? He is still doing good with the 15lbs tire. Do dogs that are more in shape do better at the pull(if well trained)? I do lots of running, spring pole, and other stuff with him. Should that be before or after a weight pull walk/train? Im going to go read that training article

if the tire is working stay with it
some people put a piece of plywood in the tire so they can add weight to the inside of the tire
all the exercise deffinately helps with the training
you could weight traing one day and an activity the next
using running.... as a cool down day
when training hard for compititions i might take griz out for a mile drag in the morning, cart workout in the evening, and a mile walk(no pulling) at night before bed to make sure he doen't stiffen up after a hard day at work
florida is quite far but if you came to a pull this fall i have some weights i could giveyou
maybe even a pull in north carolina or something( thats kinda half way& i do compete there)
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Previous

Return to Sports