Food Report Card. (Whats your food's score?)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maximus » May 27th, 2006, 1:51 am

cheekymunkee wrote:
You guys do know that at a certain point, you're just arguing to be arguing, right?

I think that point was passed 3 days ago.

:ROFL2: Yeah, I kinda figured. I'm coming to this thread late and I didn't really pay close enough to the time-stamps on the posts. Probably an unnecessary comment, yes. :oops:
Maximus
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » May 27th, 2006, 2:04 am

No, THIS thread started TODAY. There is another a bit lower down, raw vs. kibble. A rather redundant read.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maximus » May 27th, 2006, 2:06 am

HOLY WOW!!!! Okay, then it was an entirely necessary comment! :o
Maximus
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » May 27th, 2006, 8:43 am

Excellent post Maximus!!

While I'm sure that there are some parts of certain grains that are usable, I do not believe that dogs need it.

You guys do know that at a certain point, you're just arguing to be arguing, right?

Which is exactly why I left my house to get away from the computer last night. lol
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby concreterose » May 27th, 2006, 10:22 am

Magnolia618 wrote:Excellent post Maximus!!

While I'm sure that there are some parts of certain grains that are usable, I do not believe that dogs need it.

Which is exactly why I left my house to get away from the computer last night. lol

While they might not NEED it, it is inaccurate to say they can't USE it.
I try not to get into debates about nutrition because for every point someone makes about something being good, there is always a counter argument about it not being good. This is the same for human nutrition. I say live and let live...eat, drink, and be merry and all that good stuff. But I do think it's important when you DO post information as fact, you should have concrete sources to back it up, especially when you are so radical in your beliefs...but that's probably just the teacher in me :|
Last edited by concreterose on May 27th, 2006, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 27th, 2006, 10:23 am

Magnolia618 wrote:
Can you give an example of a high quality kibble you would use? I'd like to compare the ingredients.

Bison or Elk Timberwolf

[.

I didn't see if rated on here so I just rated the Elk one according to the criteria listed on page 1

It is at about a 106. The bison is very much the same.
I don't know if it's baked or not so I didn't add that

Fresh Elk, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 27th, 2006, 11:26 am

SpiritFngrz wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:
Can you give an example of a high quality kibble you would use? I'd like to compare the ingredients.

Bison or Elk Timberwolf

[.

I didn't see if rated on here so I just rated the Elk one according to the criteria listed on page 1

It is at about a 106. The bison is very much the same.

Interesting. I didn't rate them.
But I noticed:
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
eta: Obviously there is nothing to be gained by discussing dog diets on here, especially if the other participants feeds raw. Therefore I will not be participating in nutrition/diet discussions any longer.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 27th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Allllrighty then. Not every one who partiipated in this thread feeds raw, they just know what constitues a great dog food versus a mediocre one. As we have stated ad nauseam.....feed what you are comfortbale with, just don't kid yourself into thinking that you are doing the best for your dog.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » May 27th, 2006, 1:24 pm

What Debby said.

I totally dont buy this scoring system, though. :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby concreterose » May 27th, 2006, 1:26 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Allllrighty then. Not every one who partiipated in this thread feeds raw, they just know what constitues a great dog food versus a mediocre one. As we have stated ad nauseam.....feed what you are comfortbale with, just don't kid yourself into thinking that you are doing the best for your dog.

Yes, that's true. I feed raw and kibble, and am very happy with both.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Vanessa » May 27th, 2006, 2:39 pm

I bought some Royal Canin today and gave Oz 2 or 3 kibbles and he loved it. Since he already had breakfast i am waiting until dinner to mix some in with his old food. I was wondering why it says to feed him 5 cups a day when he was only supposed to get 4 cups of the Pedigree? I thought you were supposed to feed less of the higher quality foods because they had better nutrietnts? :|
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 27th, 2006, 2:48 pm

It depends on the brand. that does sound like a LOT of food though. Next purchase, look around at some of the other brands & see what their amounts to feed are. I have seen some brands ( can't recal off hand) that specify a 40 pound dog should eat 1.5 cup vs. 4 cups of another brand. It all depends on the brand. Feeding 1.5 cups makes even a $10 a bag difference cheaper in the long run, you don;t have to buy as often.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on May 27th, 2006, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » May 27th, 2006, 2:48 pm

i never follow the bags for how much to give, when my dogs were on TW i gave them 2 cups of food a day.. too much and they did horrible, got fat, etc. i would think the royal canin you could do 2 cups a day depending on age of your dog..

as far as the foods i have fed, i have fed, canidae, pedigree(when jesse was 8 weeks old before i knew anything about food), timberwolf, innova, california natural, raw, and a few others.. i have found that my 3 dogs all do differently on each food.. jesse is doing the BEST on california natural herring and sweet potato. due to her being allergic to grains, chicken, turkey, and god knows what else, this is working for her. rufus and sonny got HORRIBLE breath and gas on it...
Sonny and rufus are now on canidae, and both are doing great, no more gas, no more death breath, and their coats are actually better then when on the TW.. they both did raw too. for right now they will stick to kibble.. as long as the vet gives me great reports, and i can see how shiny and healthy they are i will leave it alone..

now for raw,
if jesse wasnt so freaking allergic to everything i would have her on raw.. but its not for her due to her immune system.. eventually she will have to go on something else as her system builds up an allergy to whatever she is eating after a while.. the vet cant understand it..

i will probably do raw again once i get another freezer, i just dont have the room right now.. they do however get eggs, steak, chicken (except jesse) with their kibble
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 27th, 2006, 2:51 pm

So maybe i should be looking for another brand of food? I have heard really good things about this one... Should i just feed him the normal amount? I only bought a small bag to see how he does on it. Also they said i could return it if i wasn't satisfied. :P
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 27th, 2006, 2:52 pm

now for raw,
if jesse wasnt so freaking allergic to everything i would have her on raw.. but its not for her due to her immune system.. eventually she will have to go on something else as her system builds up an allergy to whatever she is eating after a while.. the vet cant understand it..

Munkee does the same thing. I feed him primarily turkey right now so as no to allow him to build up a tolerance to other foods. I think I may switch him to beef soon as he is getting horrible hot spots. He has environmental allergies too so it could be that that is causing it. I am hoping.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » May 27th, 2006, 2:53 pm

never folllow the instructions on the bag.. if he was being fed 4 cups of pedigree then start him on 2 cups of royal canin, one inthe am and one in the pm..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 27th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Ok thanks Mary Ellen :)
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 27th, 2006, 2:56 pm

your welcome. you will also notice the royal will last ALOT longer and his poops will be less too!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 27th, 2006, 2:57 pm

She's right, I bought one brand that said to feed 3 cups per day. I have a 2 cup scoop that I used when I fed kibble & I just kept feeding them the 2 cups. No one lost any weight.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maximus » May 27th, 2006, 4:50 pm

I think that's the bottom line: dogs are different, just like people are. So different dogs need different things, just like not all people would do well or maintain their optimum health on a vegetarian diet.

My own two dogs need vastly different things. Ruby tends to keep weight on. Chico will lose 5 pounds if he skips a meal (yes, of course that's an exaggeration). Ruby does not do well on a fully raw diet. I've tried a lot of different things, different sources, different supplements, different lengths of time... and it is not the miracle diet for her. Period. It made her sick. Over and over again. And no, she wasn't just "detoxing." And I got really tired of coming home multiple times a day to a pitiful-looking Ruby sitting in a crate full of diarrhea. Chico, on the other hand, does fabulously on a raw diet, and all the positive things I've read about it -- the beautiful coat, the body tone, the energy, the unbelievably tiny, non-stinky poops, etc. -- are true for him.

So I feed her half kibble, half raw (though she seems to have the most trouble with chicken, so I don't give her that anymore). Or I make whole-grain brown rice for her once a week and throw in some meaty goodness and an egg. Know what? The rice is good for her. Her digestive system seems to work a whole lot better when she gets it. And I give her (and Chico) fruits and veggies for treats. I do what works. She certainly isn't unhealthy.

There. Two dogs under the same roof who need vastly different things. The whole stupid argument between raw and kibble and what dogs really need comes down to that. And no score sheet is going to tell you that, because a score sheet doesn't take into account your individual dog's unique needs.
Maximus
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health