Throwing Up

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Scrappy1202 » May 26th, 2006, 3:45 pm

I have had Scrappy for about 4 months now, and i noticed that he throws up ALOT. I used to think that this was because he has a liking for grass, but when i kept him inside all day with me, he still threw up. I would like to schedule a vet appointment but i want to get you guys help first. I know he doesn't have worms because i have checked his stool, and he is on preventative. What could be the causes of him throwing up? Should i take him to the vet?
Scrappy1202
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » May 26th, 2006, 3:47 pm

First off, what is he throwing up?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 3:47 pm

When does he throw up, and what is he throwing up?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » May 26th, 2006, 3:48 pm

mnp13 wrote:When does he throw up, and what is he throwing up?

Jinx
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Scrappy1202 » May 26th, 2006, 3:49 pm

He throws up his food, sometimes with grass mixed in, but that is only when he is outside. Most of the time it is his food, and he throws up at random moments.
Scrappy1202
Just Whelped

Postby Vanessa » May 26th, 2006, 3:49 pm

I'm not really sure but my dog Ozzy throws up at least once a week and usually more and he is completely healthy. I'm not sure what causes it but he usually just throws up the yellow bile stuff. Is Scrappy healthy in every other way? I have heard that pitbulls just throw up alot... is this true?
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Scrappy1202 » May 26th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Yes, he is healthy every other way. Really lean, muscular for a pup, athletic, and he is NEVER lethargic.
Scrappy1202
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » May 26th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Have you noticed that he throws up in conjunction with drinking water (like within 5 minutes afterwards)?
SisMorphine

Postby Scrappy1202 » May 26th, 2006, 3:54 pm

yup he does that too, but sometimes he throws up without drinking water. I knew that after he drinks water if he throws up it is because he drank too much. That is why i don't let him drink water when i feed him, i wait for at least 10 minutes to introduce water to him after his meal.
Scrappy1202
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 3:54 pm

how much food and how long after he eats? what food is he on?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Scrappy1202 » May 26th, 2006, 3:55 pm

mnp13 wrote:how much food and how long after he eats? what food is he on?

i feed him 2 cups of Exclusive Chicken and Rice puppy formula, 2x a day. He threw up today within 30 minutes of me feeding it to him.
Scrappy1202
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 4:14 pm

does he inhale his food or chew? if you don't see him puke, does he dive right in and try to eat it again?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » May 26th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Maybe 3 or 4 smaller meals a day. He's pretty young. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Romanwild wrote:Maybe 3 or 4 smaller meals a day. He's pretty young. :|

I agree. Although you probably are o.k. feeding two a day, I think at 4 months he should still be eating 3.

Lots of pups have a tough time with chicken---maybe try a lamb & rice.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 26th, 2006, 4:43 pm

a-bull wrote:
Lots of pups have a tough time with chicken---maybe try a lamb & rice.

yup, yup....Sacha's food allergy...to chicken...right around 4 months old was when it came out....it was yuck....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 4:46 pm

yeah, plus I think less food 3 times a day would be better tolerated in a pup that age rather than 2 bigger meals, which could be causing the problem . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 26th, 2006, 5:09 pm

a-bull wrote:yeah, plus I think less food 3 times a day would be better tolerated in a pup that age rather than 2 bigger meals, which could be causing the problem . . .

I also found that mixing water with the food helps a puppy digest it...and slows them down while eating....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » May 26th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Another way to slow them down while eating . . . don't feed out of the bowl!! For many you can just feed on the floor. OR you can feed on a cookie sheet (for a dog who isn't skittish). This way when they jam their nose down to inhale, the cookie sheet will end up sending their food up into their face . . . not so fun. Again, for a dog who has any sort of fear issues this may make them afraid of food. But for a dog who is sure of himself it may just help with making him eat slower.

But in general I worry about megaesophagus (oh man, I totally spelled that wrong). My friend's pit has it and if she drinks too much she'll puke. So this means if her food hasn't digested yet her food will come up too.
SisMorphine

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 5:22 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:yeah, plus I think less food 3 times a day would be better tolerated in a pup that age rather than 2 bigger meals, which could be causing the problem . . .

I also found that mixing water with the food helps a puppy digest it...and slows them down while eating....

good tip :thumbsup:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 26th, 2006, 5:24 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Another way to slow them down while eating . . . don't feed out of the bowl!! For many you can just feed on the floor. OR you can feed on a cookie sheet (for a dog who isn't skittish). This way when they jam their nose down to inhale, the cookie sheet will end up sending their food up into their face . . . not so fun. Again, for a dog who has any sort of fear issues this may make them afraid of food. But for a dog who is sure of himself it may just help with making him eat slower.

But in general I worry about megaesophagus (oh man, I totally spelled that wrong). My friend's pit has it and if she drinks too much she'll puke. So this means if her food hasn't digested yet her food will come up too.

Great idea!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health