L Carnitine??

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 2:46 pm

OK I've researched this a TAD and found this...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

I thought, GREAT, I will take this too, because body builders use this to help lose weight and build muscle. And I have been working out, lifting weights and doing Tae Kwon Do.
Then I read it stimulates gastric acid/secretions?? I take a proton pump inhibitor already (Nexium) to REDUCE gastric secretions. What's up with that? I don't want to give my dog something that will make him feel even hungrier??
Any ideas on this supplement?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 2:50 pm

I'm going to try to get Demo here tomorrow. He knows all about that stuff.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Thanks Michelle. I'll hold off getting it for now. I'd love to find some UNDERSTANDABLE information that isn't put out by the maker/seller of this supplement. Not quite impartial IMO!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 26th, 2006, 3:07 pm

msvette2u wrote:Thanks Michelle. I'll hold off getting it for now. I'd love to find some UNDERSTANDABLE information that isn't put out by the maker/seller of this supplement. Not quite impartial IMO!

There is a website out there (for the life of me I cannot remember what it's called) but they take all of the weight loss drugs and supplements and do trials and break them down to figure out exactly what is working and what isn't. Even if they don't have just the L C listed, perhaps there are weight loss drugs that have it in them, in which case they'll have an analyses of it. I'd do a google for weight loss consumer reports or something like that and see if you can come up with the website. I'll try to remember what it's called . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Thanks. I'm a natural skeptic and think the only TRUE way to weight loss or muscle gain is eat less/work hard, but I would use a supplement if it really REALLY worked...and the side effects were not horrendous! One site mentioned stomache cramps and body odor! :shock:
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health