Rawide

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 7:04 am

LindsaySF wrote:
a-bull wrote:I can't actually give my girl the ones in that picture because she breaks big shards off. She's a pretty rugged chewer. :bite:

Really? She must have super jaws! That bone is the only one I have found so far that my guys can't demolish. :) I like them too because once they lick out all the middle, I can re-fill it with whatever. (Only Aidan will chew on Kongs, the others won't).

I have tried a few nylabone ones and I think it depends on the flavor. I can't remember which one it was, but I bought a few of a certain flavor and my guys turned their noses up at it... :rolleyes2:

~Lindsay~

P.S. - That smiley disturbs me! :o

I didn't have any problem with those bones with my first dog, but the two I have now . . . :o . . . rugged chewers.

Alot of people say their dogs won't touch Nylabones, and they are pretty dang boring. My first dog use to bury them and never touch them again, lol . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 7:09 am

katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:
My female has that problem, too. Her mouth will get red and itchy, ears, toes, etc. Such a pain. :(

I actually wish that was all I dealt with....it sucks...but Sacha ends up with explosive diarrhea and vomiting...oh yeah...both ends!!!!

Yikes . . . now that's bad---serious allergy, huh? :o

Yeah....Sacha's allergy is wicked...I had a hard time when she was a puppy...we didn't know it was a food allergy....after 2 weeks in and out of the hospital, $3k in vet bills, I finally decided to try duck and potatoes...she kept it down...it was the first time in those 2 weeks that she had kept a meal down...

gawd bless duck & potatoe, huh? My male had really lose stools for a long time as a pup, and duck & potatoe did the trick. He eats Merrick now withhout a problem, but the duck & potatoe was a life saver.

Boy you're a good owner! Lucky dog!! :o
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 26th, 2006, 8:51 am

Rocky will chew his nylabone he really gets into it even without flavor. I was thinking it would be nice for him to have variety of bones to chew. He cant even have toys because he chews them and eats the pieces. THis includes congs. He pulls with his front teeth at the hole untill he gets pieces off. I hope someday he stops eating everything in site. If he can get it in his mouth to him its edible.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 9:15 am

houlabulla? wrote:Rocky will chew his nylabone he really gets into it even without flavor. I was thinking it would be nice for him to have variety of bones to chew. He cant even have toys because he chews them and eats the pieces. THis includes congs. He pulls with his front teeth at the hole untill he gets pieces off. I hope someday he stops eating everything in site. If he can get it in his mouth to him its edible.

How old is he again?

My dogs will still trash & destroy anything 'stuffie-like' and basically tear apart anything tearable, but I noticed after around 18 months old, they both stopped eating the stuff they destroyed.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 26th, 2006, 10:03 am

Ozzy loves those big "stuffie" bones. His favorite is peanut butter but he likes all the meat ones too. Thanks for the tips on refilling it... Last night when we got home from work he was being a bit too active for our apartment at 12:00 at night so i filled one up with peanut butter and gave it to him after his walk. Voila!!! Quite a happy and quiet boy :) He also used to destroy these kinds when he was younger but now seems content to suck the good stuff out and chew on the bone for a while. He also likes the edable meaty bones and he likes his Kong alot too.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 10:05 am

Vanessa wrote:Ozzy loves those big "stuffie" bones. His favorite is peanut butter but he likes all the meat ones too. Thanks for the tips on refilling it... Last night when we got home from work he was being a bit too active for our apartment at 12:00 at night so i filled one up with peanut butter and gave it to him after his walk. Voila!!! Quite a happy and quiet boy :) He also used to destroy these kinds when he was younger but now seems content to suck the good stuff out and chew on the bone for a while. He also likes the edable meaty bones and he likes his Kong alot too.

Do you ever stuff the Kong full of little doggie bones? I take little sized dog bones and fill the Kong 'til they're "stuck." It's a riot watching the dogs flipping & bouncing the Kongs around to get the treats out . . . or some dogs will just sit down with it and lick the inside 'til the bones get soggy and start to come out. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 26th, 2006, 10:11 am

Yes!!!!!!!! Ozzy loves this. He will hold the Kong in his mouth and shake it up and down until they all come out. He is very inventive when it comes to getting treats. :P
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby a-bull » May 26th, 2006, 10:14 am

Vanessa wrote:Yes!!!!!!!! Ozzy loves this. He will hold the Kong in his mouth and shake it up and down until they all come out. He is very inventive when it comes to getting treats. :P

It's funny watching how each dog deals with it.

My female will keep flipping the Kong with her nose or dropping it out of her mouth with a bounce until she dislodges them, and my male gets all frenzied, zooming around with it in his mouth, pawing at it and licking it.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 10:15 am

LindsaySF wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Smoked / cooked bones break easier than raw ones. The raw ones are softer and much less brittle.

Are the stuffed femur ones I posted cooked by the manufacturer? It doesn't say on their website.

Yes, they are cooked / smoked / processed when they are cleaned out.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » May 26th, 2006, 10:28 am

mnp13 wrote:
LindsaySF wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Smoked / cooked bones break easier than raw ones. The raw ones are softer and much less brittle.

Are the stuffed femur ones I posted cooked by the manufacturer? It doesn't say on their website.

Yes, they are cooked / smoked / processed when they are cleaned out.

And chemically preserved. You can do the same with a marrow bone once they have cleaned it out, just stuff peanut butter in it and give it back to them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » May 26th, 2006, 10:32 am

a-bull wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:
My female has that problem, too. Her mouth will get red and itchy, ears, toes, etc. Such a pain. :(

I actually wish that was all I dealt with....it sucks...but Sacha ends up with explosive diarrhea and vomiting...oh yeah...both ends!!!!

Yikes . . . now that's bad---serious allergy, huh? :o

Yeah....Sacha's allergy is wicked...I had a hard time when she was a puppy...we didn't know it was a food allergy....after 2 weeks in and out of the hospital, $3k in vet bills, I finally decided to try duck and potatoes...she kept it down...it was the first time in those 2 weeks that she had kept a meal down...

gawd bless duck & potatoe, huh? My male had really lose stools for a long time as a pup, and duck & potatoe did the trick. He eats Merrick now withhout a problem, but the duck & potatoe was a life saver.

Boy you're a good owner! Lucky dog!! :o

Awww...thank you for the compliment!!!!

Everyone asks if I think she might have grown out of the allergy (originally she was also allergic to beef, but she seems to be okay on beef now)...I honestly don't know....I'm afraid to try (for fear that she still is)....I guess I go with the "if it's not broke don't fix it" deal.... :)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby rockermom » May 26th, 2006, 3:43 pm

a-bull wrote:
houlabulla? wrote:Rocky will chew his nylabone he really gets into it even without flavor. I was thinking it would be nice for him to have variety of bones to chew. He cant even have toys because he chews them and eats the pieces. THis includes congs. He pulls with his front teeth at the hole untill he gets pieces off. I hope someday he stops eating everything in site. If he can get it in his mouth to him its edible.

How old is he again?

My dogs will still trash & destroy anything 'stuffie-like' and basically tear apart anything tearable, but I noticed after around 18 months old, they both stopped eating the stuff they destroyed.

Rocky is about 10 1/2 month 11 next week.
I gave him a carrot today to chew on. He liked that. Of course it only lasted a few minutes.
I bought some marrow bones at grocery today. They only had one pack left and they are only about 3 inches long is that too small? I put them in the freezer. Still nervous to give it to him. I know if he gets small pieces off he will eat it. Is it ok if he knaws at it and injest small pieces. This is what he does with Nyla bone. Like little shavings.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 3:46 pm

3 inches is fine, how thick are they? I mean the actual "wall" of the bone itself? With the shorter bones they can get all the marrow out easier.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Scrappy1202 » May 26th, 2006, 4:01 pm

What is good for them to chew on, i used to give scrapps rawhide while i monitored him and he has no trouble with it at all. Should i stop or what.
Scrappy1202
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 4:13 pm

give raw meaty bones.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » May 26th, 2006, 4:26 pm

mnp13 wrote:3 inches is fine, how thick are they? I mean the actual "wall" of the bone itself? With the shorter bones they can get all the marrow out easier.

I dont know Im bad with measuring I guess about 1/4 of inch.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 26th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Scrappy1202 wrote:What is good for them to chew on, i used to give scrapps rawhide while i monitored him and he has no trouble with it at all. Should i stop or what.

I wouldn't give him rawhides, raw meaty bones are a much better healthier choice for him.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health