Rawide

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby muse » May 25th, 2006, 1:33 pm

The only rawhide I give are the small stick like ones. Usually they chew and eat them in seconds but its not enough to produce any blockage. I have given them nylabones, but they seem useless since they tear them up so quickly. Now I stick with meaty bones from the slaughter house.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 1:52 pm

muse wrote:The only rawhide I give are the small stick like ones. Usually they chew and eat them in seconds but its not enough to produce any blockage. I have given them nylabones, but they seem useless since they tear them up so quickly. Now I stick with meaty bones from the slaughter house.

Oh those little compressed sticks? I use to buy those, too, but they last about 2 seconds.

Your guys tear up the big, hard Nylabones?? :o Those are the only things my dogs don't tear up. I've tried sooo many things that people have suggested, and the Nylabones and the Kongs are the only things that have survived.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby muse » May 25th, 2006, 1:56 pm

Your right, NOT nylabones. They dont like the nylabones. Im talking about the others.. they come in flavors.. Chicken, beef and something else. Their supposed to last a long time before they finish them, but mine go through them pretty quickly.

sorry about the confusion.. :)
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 25th, 2006, 3:32 pm

a-bull wrote:
My female has that problem, too. Her mouth will get red and itchy, ears, toes, etc. Such a pain. :(

I actually wish that was all I dealt with....it sucks...but Sacha ends up with explosive diarrhea and vomiting...oh yeah...both ends!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LindsaySF » May 25th, 2006, 5:11 pm

I have had a lot of success with the compressed rawhides. I give the regular ones to the pit bulls occasionally, but I have to take it away pretty often and stretch it out over a few days because they try to eat it in one sitting... :rolleyes2:

Cody can have regular rawhides because he only nibbles on them and it lasts about a month. The pit bulls are major power chewers though so I have to watch them.

I really like these femur bones that are filled with cheese, peanut butter, etc. The dogs work on them for quite a while:

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 5:39 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:
My female has that problem, too. Her mouth will get red and itchy, ears, toes, etc. Such a pain. :(

I actually wish that was all I dealt with....it sucks...but Sacha ends up with explosive diarrhea and vomiting...oh yeah...both ends!!!!

Yikes . . . now that's bad---serious allergy, huh? :o
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 25th, 2006, 8:27 pm

LindsaySF wrote:I have had a lot of success with the compressed rawhides. I give the regular ones to the pit bulls occasionally, but I have to take it away pretty often and stretch it out over a few days because they try to eat it in one sitting... :rolleyes2:

Cody can have regular rawhides because he only nibbles on them and it lasts about a month. The pit bulls are major power chewers though so I have to watch them.

I really like these femur bones that are filled with cheese, peanut butter, etc. The dogs work on them for quite a while:

~Lindsay~

When my dogs are done with their raw meaty bones I stuff them with cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc...

I would think that the cooked ones would splinter :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 25th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Magnolia618
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 8:30 pm

I can't actually give my girl the ones in that picture because she breaks big shards off. She's a pretty rugged chewer. :bite:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 25th, 2006, 8:32 pm

I can't actually give my girl the ones in that picture because she breaks big shards off.

Question answered. :D
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 8:40 pm

[quote="Magnolia618"]http://www.daneangelnetwork.org/rawhide.htm[/quote

great article, thanks . . . I had heard something about bleach before, and after seeing my girl behave like she was queasy for a couple of days after eating one, I believed it. :(
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 25th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Rocky is a chewer too. The last Nyla bone I think I got a few months out of. Its shot now. THink he is starting to eat it. Thanks for all the advice.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 8:48 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Rocky is a chewer too. The last Nyla bone I think I got a few months out of. Its shot now. THink he is starting to eat it. Thanks for all the advice.

My guys do wreck the Nylabones, too, but it takes a looong time. More bang for your buck! :D When they start getting too ragged, and I catch the little buggers pulling off plastic pieces and swallowing them, I chuck them and buy new ones---but they're atleast a safe, decent value. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby LindsaySF » May 25th, 2006, 9:28 pm

a-bull wrote:I can't actually give my girl the ones in that picture because she breaks big shards off. She's a pretty rugged chewer. :bite:

Really? She must have super jaws! That bone is the only one I have found so far that my guys can't demolish. :) I like them too because once they lick out all the middle, I can re-fill it with whatever. (Only Aidan will chew on Kongs, the others won't).

I have tried a few nylabone ones and I think it depends on the flavor. I can't remember which one it was, but I bought a few of a certain flavor and my guys turned their noses up at it... :rolleyes2:

~Lindsay~

P.S. - That smiley disturbs me! :o
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 25th, 2006, 9:31 pm

a-bull wrote:I can't actually give my girl the ones in that picture because she breaks big shards off. She's a pretty rugged chewer. :bite:

Smoked / cooked bones break easier than raw ones. The raw ones are softer and much less brittle.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LindsaySF » May 25th, 2006, 9:56 pm

mnp13 wrote:Smoked / cooked bones break easier than raw ones. The raw ones are softer and much less brittle.

Are the stuffed femur ones I posted cooked by the manufacturer? It doesn't say on their website.

I haven't noticed big chunks coming off of them like when my guys get overzealous with the Nylabones, but I'll watch for that.

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 25th, 2006, 9:58 pm

My dogs love pig hooves, and I have never had a problem with them for the dogs. However they stink after a while, and DAMN does it HURT when you step on one in the middle of the night, always in the arch of your foot, too.

The flavored nylabones are a huge hit, although Tes will eventually grind them down. If you dip the plain ones in bacon fat or peanut butter, that livens up the taste a bit.

The edible nylabones were a complete waste of money- I paid 8 bucks for one and Tallulah ate the whole thing in 15 minutes :o .

I agree with the shank bones. They will last for weeks, refilling them.

I just gave them beef knuckle bones, they were about 8 inches in diameter. They were thrilled with them, and so I froze them to save them for this weekend, when we visit friends and they need to be crated a lot. They truly will not care, with those bones.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby LindsaySF » May 25th, 2006, 10:24 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:My dogs love pig hooves, and I have never had a problem with them for the dogs. However they stink after a while, and DAMN does it HURT when you step on one in the middle of the night, always in the arch of your foot, too.

Ouchies.

Know what's worse than that? Having a ten pound knuckle dropped on your toe! My guys love doing that to me. They bring the knuckle to me as a little gift, and then let it go onto my damn foot! :)

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 25th, 2006, 10:28 pm

a-bull wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:

Yikes . . . now that's bad---serious allergy, huh? :o

Yeah....Sacha's allergy is wicked...I had a hard time when she was a puppy...we didn't know it was a food allergy....after 2 weeks in and out of the hospital, $3k in vet bills, I finally decided to try duck and potatoes...she kept it down...it was the first time in those 2 weeks that she had kept a meal down...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » May 25th, 2006, 10:30 pm

Wally is allowed to have pressed rawhides because he doesn't eat them. He chews them, but has never ingested any. He's had the same one for over a year, and the only visible thing of destruction are some teeth marks.

Halo, on the other hand, who swallows everything whole would probably choke.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health