I've been invited

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jesseca » May 25th, 2006, 1:00 pm

To talk to my daughter's kindergarden class about dog rescue. I'm so excited. Though I am coming up with ideas to tone it down for a room full of 5-6 year olds. Any ideas would be great? I want to make this fun for them.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » May 25th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Make them draw, or do a collage related to what they think rescue is, how they think it is to be a dog in the treets... Maybe if you can bring a good, quiet and child-appropriate rescur dog you know of!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby luvmyangels » May 25th, 2006, 1:05 pm

That is so exciting. I wish you the best of luck.

Can you bring a dog with you?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Yes, as long as the school ok's it, I am bringing a pup with me. :D I thought because of the age group, we'd talk about bite prevention too. Since they are so commonly the ones that get bit
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 25th, 2006, 1:07 pm

the AKC has a great booklet that is appropriate for little kids. It's about dog safety, but you might want to take a look anyway.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jesseca » May 25th, 2006, 1:07 pm

I will, thank you Michelle :D
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 25th, 2006, 1:53 pm

You;ll do GREAT Jess!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jesseca » May 25th, 2006, 1:55 pm

Thanks Debby. I'm excited. Lacy wanted me to bring Summer. I tried to explain to her that Summer just gets too excited and not all the kids may love her as much as she does. :)
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jenn » May 25th, 2006, 1:55 pm

Good luck!! My daughter is 6 and think when she grows up she's going to "rescue" a million animals, lol. Though she thinks that cows in a pasture, or horses with no home in site need rescued. ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jesseca » May 25th, 2006, 2:11 pm

JennKBM wrote:Good luck!! My daughter is 6 and think when she grows up she's going to "rescue" a million animals, lol. Though she thinks that cows in a pasture, or horses with no home in site need rescued. ;)

I love the way kids think :D
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 25th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Awesome! Great PR.

What I do is talk for maybe 3-5 minutes about why dogs end up in rescue, and what the rescue does. I make it very short. Try not to start taking too many questions, they will all want to tell you about thier dogs ;-)

Then we talk dog safety. I talk about never waking up a dog, or approaching any dog. How dogs may seem friendly, but are not, and how dogs can get scared if they are strays, and how some may not see or hear well. .

Instead they need to do three things.

One, ask the owner if they can pet the dog.
Two, they have to ask what is the dog's name.(This ensured the owner is present.)
Three, they call the dog to them. (This ensures that if a dog is scared, it is not threatened by the child and does not HAVE to be petted.)

I explain that sometimes a dog can feel scared because even a small child is big to a dog, sometimes the dogs are feeling yucky, or sometimes they are cranky, so even if the owner says it is ok, the dog may not want to be approached. Sometimes owners are not very careful with their dogs. It is not bad if the dog does not want to be petted, just say thank, you maybe some other time and leave the dog alone.

Then in groups of 3-4, we practice on the dog I bring. They ask the questions, then call the dog, then they get to pet her. Then they sit down and the next group goes.

At the very end, I have my dogs do some tricks and obedience exercises, for maybe a minute.

All in all this takes about 10 minutes.

I have been asked back next week again to do the annual career day at the local elementary school. I have had kids on the street say...mom, that is the lady that came to school with the dogs!!

Please let us know how it goes!!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jesseca » May 25th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Thank you that's an awesome way of doing it
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk