Feeding raw and kibble as a diet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby satanscheerleader » May 25th, 2006, 1:10 am

I feed a variety as well. Their main meal is kibble but they will either get raw or cooked meat treats and/or ground up fruit or veggies, eggs, yogurt, whatever. I don't give them any additional grains as there is some in the kibble already. If I just have a little bit of something, since there are so many of them, they will just get it as a treat between meals but if there is a fair amount to go around we will skip a kibble meal and give them a "real" food meal. Unfortunatley Tank and Nyx are fairly sensitive and seem to get the runs easier so I have to be careful with them. Since reading a few months back on the concept of how wolves will eat the hair and such so the bones will come out without injury, I've reconsidered giving them any kind of edible bones because that made alot of sense to me. Tank and Nyx never did well with them anyway. They are pretty sensitive with some of the richer inards as well. I would really like to be able to give them big knuckle bones to chew on but with Raven's health issues it's just to risky which kinda sucks as I think it is not only good for their teeth but good mental stimulation as well. I guess they are stuck with Kongs and Nylabones! As far as kibble goes, it can be tricky having a large number of dogs to find a few that they all do well on. I rotate their kibble between a few kinds that they do well on and once in a while will try something new to see how they do on it to see if I can add it to the rotation. Right now they eat Solid Gold Millenia, California Natural Chicken & Rice, California Natural Lamb & Rice and First Mate Fish and Potato as these seem to be the ones none of them have issues with. :|
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 25th, 2006, 1:24 am

Since reading a few months back on the concept of how wolves will eat the hair and such so the bones will come out without injury, I've reconsidered giving them any kind of edible bones because that made alot of sense to me.

It is nice to see someone else read that same thing and got that out of it too.
BTW - I would love to check out the First Mate, but I've never heard of it. I have done the CA Natural when I had Kona and her babies here, and she (they) did really well on it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » May 25th, 2006, 1:33 am

California Natural is weird with my dogs. Venus and Nyx tend to get a dry coat but it will clear up with California Natural but only if they are on it for a bit. If they are on it too long it stops working. :|
I think the first mate is Canadian. Patches gets really nibbley on the wrong food but she seemed to do really good on that.

Actually, here's their site....
http://www.firstmate.com/
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health