Feeding raw and kibble as a diet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Will he have to have the new food mixed into his old one so it doesn't make him sick? I have heard some of the ingrediants of Pedigree and that is why i am looking for a new food.... Yuck. Can he eat like lean beef and chicken?
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 24th, 2006, 4:02 pm

yes, take a week and do the transition, that will cause less stomach upset.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » May 24th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Vanessa wrote:Will he have to have the new food mixed into his old one so it doesn't make him sick? I have heard some of the ingrediants of Pedigree and that is why i am looking for a new food.... Yuck. Can he eat like lean beef and chicken?

He can eat any kind of raw beef, chicken, turkey, etc... just dont mix it in with the kibble.

Whenever I have brought a dog into my home, I have done no transition. Just *plop* here's your food. Eat it.

lol I've never had problems.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to switch the food slowly, though.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Did any of the dogs ever vomit alot afterwards magnolia? I don't care if he does i just don't want him to feel crappy...
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » May 24th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Vanessa wrote:Did any of the dogs ever vomit alot afterwards magnolia? I don't care if he does i just don't want him to feel crappy...

Nope!

Wait, Maggie did vomit after her first meal of raw because she was so excited and had INSANE zoomies. She puked up the meat, looked at it, then ate it again. :|
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 4:13 pm

That's good. I am looking forward to seeing how much he loves the meat. He always drools up a storm when my boyfriend is eating meat :)
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Violet » May 24th, 2006, 4:13 pm

MAN dogs are gross lol

I didnt transition Keto because we were being aggressive about getting his health issues under control..and he has done fantastic. The only sticking point we had was over beef liver..i have to chop it pretty finely to get him to eat it. The fun thing has been learning to make treats. I had to figure out how to dehydrate liver and stuff in my oven since i dont have a food dehydrator. Keto LOVES him some chicken hearts.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 24th, 2006, 4:24 pm

Vanessa wrote:I have been thinking of switching Ozzy off the Pedigree that i have been feeding him his whole life beacuse i have been hearing lots of bad things about it. What are some good kinds of food for him? Any kibble brands that are better then others? He has a really sensitive stomach and when he stayed overnight at the vets he ate a different kind of food and threw up everywhere :( Any tips on preventing this if i do switch his food?

Here are a few topics to check out.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3011
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2526
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2139
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=161
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Violet » May 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm

BTW..I also recently started Kya on a mostly raw diet to get the weight back off of her since she got here from NY and turned into a whale. :shock: It is going really nicely. She is happier than ever (not that kya is ever NOT happy) and I think she is looking great.
Taken today
taken 8 weeks ago
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 4:35 pm

She looks 100% better Violet. :thumbsup: What a sweet old girl she is.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » May 24th, 2006, 4:43 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:She looks 100% better Violet. :thumbsup: What a sweet old girl she is.

Kya....

Sweet old girl? HA!!!!

She's a flucking nutcase! She's awesome though.

Vi, does she shake the meat like she is trying to kill it? lol

She's definitely looking great!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Violet » May 24th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:She looks 100% better Violet. :thumbsup: What a sweet old girl she is.

Kya....

Sweet old girl? HA!!!!

She's a flucking nutcase! She's awesome though.

Vi, does she shake the meat like she is trying to kill it? lol

She's definitely looking great!

She definately is a nutcase :rolleyes2: but i loves her.
She just inhales it. No playing around. The only thing she plays with is her damn water bucket which is now CHAINED to the side of the pen ebcause im running out of five gallon buckets. I fill em..she gets a drink then dumps the rest. And proceeds to try and eat the bucket. You can see the chewed up edges on the one in her pen now.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » May 24th, 2006, 4:54 pm

lol

I honestly didnt realize how active she was untill I brought her home. Try not physically being able to get out of a room because she wanted to go with you. My ex who is at least 6'1'' 200 lbs could barely do it because she is sooo strong and sneaky. :shock:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Violet » May 24th, 2006, 4:58 pm

That is actually one of my biggest reasons for her being on a chain in the kennel or pen. She has full run but she will not take no for an answer if you are trying to get out. Trying to get out with the water bucket is REALLY fun. I usually make sure there are no dogs loose period if i have to go into her kennel because then its not such a big deal if she gets past me.

now back to your regularly scheduled prrogramming..sorry people.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the information everyone. Not to sound weird but i am really learning alot here. I am definately going to our local (good pet store... not the one i hate) and check out some of the brands that you guys have told me about. And i am going to pick up some raw beef and see how that goes... :)
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Vanessa wrote:Thanks for all the information everyone. Not to sound weird but i am really learning alot here. I am definately going to our local (good pet store... not the one i hate) and check out some of the brands that you guys have told me about. And i am going to pick up some raw beef and see how that goes... :)

no reason to feel weird, we all learn from each other here.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Thanks cheeky. :smileUp: Another question... Will any particular food help him shed less? He sheds a ton... And i mean a ton.....
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Any of the higher quality foods should help with this, I am NO expert on dog food. I feed raw & am not an expert on that either. But I know better quality will help any skin issues he has. I have seen it first hand.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Excellent. My boyfriend will be thrilled as we are sweeping constantly.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Also how much should a 80 or so pound dog be getting everyday?
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health