another place

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jaime » January 24th, 2006, 6:29 pm

:x i am being flamed on another forum (yes i visit other ones to see whats going on :oops: ) for not supporting pit bulls in dog parks!!!!
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 24th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Uh, sorry but I do not support pit bulls in dog parks either. They have no business there at all. I am not going to flame you though.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on January 24th, 2006, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Sue » January 24th, 2006, 6:33 pm

It's not even worth it anymore... the whole thing is a joke... "if you know your dog" Whatever....
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby cheekymunkee » January 24th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Oh, I read your post wrong. I thought YOU were supporting them being there. Sorry!

I think it's worth the battle because SOMETIMES you get through to them, not all of them, but one every once in a while.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on January 24th, 2006, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jaime » January 24th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Sue wrote:It's not even worth it anymore... the whole thing is a joke... "if you know your dog" Whatever....

amen sister ;) man i feel like banging my head against the wall! i didn't know you read that thread
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Sue » January 24th, 2006, 6:35 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Uh, sorry but I do not support pit bulls in dog parks either. They have no business there at all. I am not going to flame you though.

She was being flamed for NOT supporting pit bull in dog parks... Not "supporting pit bulls in dog parks" :wink:
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Sue » January 24th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Sorry Debby, we posted at the same time :bigGrin:
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby cheekymunkee » January 24th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Sue wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Uh, sorry but I do not support pit bulls in dog parks either. They have no business there at all. I am not going to flame you though.

She was being flamed for NOT supporting pit bull in dog parks... Not "supporting pit bulls in dog parks" :wink:

Yeah, I caught that, AFTER I had already posted! :D

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » January 24th, 2006, 6:37 pm

:D We did it again.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » January 24th, 2006, 7:06 pm

I am so aggrivated that I am banging my head on my monitor!!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Emi » January 24th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Tell em to :moon:
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 7:26 pm

dont sweat it... those people are the ones who will be crying the blues when their dog gets into a fight. the only thing you can do is keep telling them dog parks are no good for pitbulls.... and tell them you dont want to lose YOUR RIGHT to own this breed.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Let's see...

their Pit Bull will get attacked by a Lab or some other 'good' breed. then the Pit Bull will kill the Lab. Then they will complain when they are blamed and get sued.

Idiots...

Here's a story that you might want to share. this happened at a dog show, in an open field. A fenced in area would have been much worse because Ruby could have been cornered and I seriously doubt I would have been 6 feet from her and the other dog would not have had a leash on to pull him off.

Memorial Day, 2005
We started out at Ruby's first dog show. I was allowed to show because I knew the woman who runs the show. Ruby was entered as an American Bulldog. I met a few Pit Bull owners, and invited them to the Sleepover. I got to meet a lot of people, and everyone was really nice.

We started out the day with a disaster - there was a 140 pound Leonberger (French draft breed, 140 pounds, REALLY furry) there who was completely out of control. I watched him pull his owner to his knees more than once. For some unknown reason they did not crate the dog or put it in the car. Ruby and I were walking to the pavilion when the dog lunged and this time the ower dropped the leash when he hit the ground. The dog came at us full speed, intent on killing. It was not a 'warning' not posturing, that dog intended her serious harm.

He came in low, towards her belly. Most of the next 5 seconds were a blur. Somewhere in my head I had to process the immient danger to my dog, and as I flung her backwards in the air over a canvas chair I noticed that I flung her by her prong collar. I had a flash of regret, (I have no idea where I had time for that.) The furball kept coming. I've done a good deal of catch work with protection dogs and I guess I acted on instinct - because the next thing I knew I was on my knees with my arm infront of his mouth. I was quite certian I would take a bite before I would allow my dog to be injured. I only know I was that low because Ruby lunged past my face making a horrible noise I have never heard from her. Teeth bared, snarling and snapping (three inches infront of my nose) - ready to give as good as she was going to get. At that second my friend Jeanine, who was running the show, arrived and pounced on the dog, dragging him away still snarling.

I was shaking and really really scared. And yes, embarassingly enough, in tears. Thank God she is VERY fast, as she had slobber completely around one thigh - from the front - and down the front of her chest. That dog had his mouth on her twice, and the leg wound would have been serious.

Everyone there was concerned and asked about Ruby and offered many comments about the other owner and his dog. I got about 5 different stories about what happened, what's above is all I remember. The people who had the Pit Bull I talked about earlier had their 'safety prong' (those stupid plastic ones) snap apart and he came charging over (I never saw him) And the mother of the two men said they charged over as soon as they heard the noise and the yelling but it was over before they got there. Demo had Connor in leash - and Connor would have jumped in with no hesitation... mom and Ruby were being attacked. I shudder to think of the damage Connor would have done to that dog.

The most appaling part of the entire mess was neither the owner nor his wife bothered to even apologize.

Ruby has never shown any aggression before, but she later growled at a few dogs that approached her. She was just freaked. She was fine with the Pit puppy, but anything with a lot of hair upset her. Most disturbingly she also snarled at my parents dog when she was laying infront of me and Emma approached. Not a noise, just a baring of teeth. My sister saw it, as Ruby was facing away from me. She immediately removed Emma and asked what was going on with Ruby.

I'm worried about her and furry dogs now. She already has a MAJOR fear of Goldens. She hides and cries if they get near her. She is getting better about that, since we do therapy with a female Golden regularly. But I'm nervous about meeting another big fuzzball.

So that's the whole story...

If you've had an unprovoked attack like this, what were your experiences? Unknown dog, unfamiliar surroundings... any long term problems? My last dog was the aggressor in attacks like this one, I've never been on the receiving end.

Ruby was nasty to any long haired dog for months after that. ONE SINGLE unprovoked attack can change your dog for life. People refuse to understand that.
Last edited by mnp13 on March 4th, 2006, 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Emi » January 24th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Michelle, i'm so sorry that happened to Ruby and yourself .. :cry:
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Thanks. We're both long over it, but the reality of the situation was quite frightening.

I just edited my post so it is the full story (as posted immediately after the event.)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Here is part of a post that was written by a VERY VERY wise member in another thread :D

Anyway, I think the notion that dogs need friends is another human trait pushed onto dogs. Yes, I think a few dogs for them to romp with is a good idea, but when you talk to some owners they seem to think that their dog needs an active social calendar. I don't think there is anything wrong with your dogs not haveing 'friends'. As long as he is polite and well mannered around strange dogs, what's the difference?

I think it applies here.

why the heck does your dog need a group of 'friends'? If you want to hang out an chit chat with people go to a coffee shop or somthing, don't stand in the middle of a fenced 'park' and yack with your friends while you put your dog at risk.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » January 24th, 2006, 8:32 pm

My dogs would prefer to be the ONLY dogs on the planet, I am their friend & the only one they need

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby panda » January 24th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Oh my, my heart is racing with tears in my eyes after reading your account Michelle. You are very brave and a fast thinker!

Jaime, I am sorry that some pit bull owners do not understand the breed well enough to know that anything can and will happen and never trust your pit not to fight. I used to take my Panda to a dog park every once in a great while when she was a puppy. That ended a long time ago as she got older and bigger even though she never did anything wrong. I determined once she wasn't little anymore it wasn't safe for her or others if she was mingling in a large pack of unfamiliar, un-controlled dogs. Unfortunately, other owners will learn the hard way that a dog park is not the place to take your pit bull. As others have said, all we can do is keep telling it like it really is and maybe just one person will hear us. I figure if I tell 10 people and 1 hears it and acts on it, I've done something.
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby Judy » January 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm

I would never bring my pit bull to a dog park. There's too much liability, and accidents just waiting to happen.
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby Purple » January 24th, 2006, 9:56 pm

I couldn't even bring myself to post in that thread....
Purple
I live here

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk