Thoughts anyone?

Postby msvette2u » May 24th, 2006, 9:27 am

LindsaySF wrote:
Maryellen wrote:after dealing with this idiot of a rescue i think i am done with rescueing for a while if not for good.

Nooo! Don't let this one bad place put you off of rescuing! The dogs in need can't afford to lose a foster home like you. :(

Is the vet where the dog is now? Was the bite ever reported to animal control? (I think it has to be if there were injuries?) I would talk to the vet's office yourself and tell them what you know. They might only be getting the story from the rescue's side, and they don't know what really happened. No vet in good conscience should let a dangerous dog go back with this rescue.

~Lindsay~

I agree- even when not associated with a rescue, we rescued on our own, we just rehomed the dogs after doing the full application/home checks and charged an adoption fee that covered the spay/neuter and allowed us to take another dog in.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 9:29 am

alot of vets dont believe in euthing a puppy.. thank god my vet is fine with it.. but the vet that has mosley i dont know.. i am not getting involved anymore, as i have every email i sent to the rescue, and their emails to me..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » May 24th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Maryellen wrote:alot of vets dont believe in euthing a puppy.. thank god my vet is fine with it.. but the vet that has mosley i dont know.. i am not getting involved anymore, as i have every email i sent to the rescue, and their emails to me..

And I guess these vets you mention believe that a puppy who intentionally and with aggression bites children in the face gets better with age? I don't think so. There is typical puppy mouthing and then there's the other side of the coin.
I don't blame you for not wanting to foster for other organizations - you're better off doing it on your own, your own way.
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 12:50 pm

yep. its a 50-50 out here. some vets are fine with it, some arent.. the worst part is i know the rescue didnt tell the rescue vet that the dog is quarantined at the full story..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » May 24th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Maryellen wrote:yep. its a 50-50 out here. some vets are fine with it, some arent.. the worst part is i know the rescue didnt tell the rescue vet that the dog is quarantined at the full story..

Well then, if it were me, I'd be on the phone right away with the vet's office disclosing the truth about the matter.
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 12:59 pm

i have to call every vet in the area, as i dont know the full name.. and i cant rock the boat yet as they still owe me for arturos emergency surgery...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » May 24th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Maryellen wrote:i have to call every vet in the area, as i dont know the full name.. and i cant rock the boat yet as they still owe me for arturos emergency surgery...

Oh I see. I thought within your conversations with the foster mom that you may have garnered that information.
Yeah, I wouldn't rock the boat either until the rock-eaters surgery has been paid for :) Let's hope he doesn't do that again!
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 1:20 pm

no , the foster mom just told me the town the dog would be supposedly going.. there are i think 2 vets in the town, but i dont want to do anything until i get reimbursed for rock boy....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 24th, 2006, 1:46 pm

Geez ME I'm sorry you are having to go through all this. (((hugs))) :(
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Miakoda » May 24th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Maryellen, I wish you the best during this time. I know it's hard. Sometimes I wish that some rescuers & foster "parents" could be smacked, but you're right in that this dog has a lot to overcome (if it's possible) & chances of finding him a home after disclosing his history to a potential family is slim to none. Euthanasia is NOT the "meaningless murdering" of animals, it's more often than not a kind release from a life devoid of love & trust. We're behind you in your decision.

And as for rescue work, don't let it turn you off. I myself have separated myself from our pit bull rescue b/c I disagree with the adopting out of dogs that have already bitten people (in previous adoptive homes) & have serious human aggression issues. It seems the founder of the rescue sees nothing wrong in finding a home where no men or children live & where strangers will never be an issue. Gotta love it. :rolleyes2:

But now, I devote my time to individual dogs that I either find or that come into the clinic. At least this way, there are no politics to deal with.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby huskyhouse » May 24th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Well folks, this story just keeps getting better, these two pups may not even belong to this crappy "rescue", I received an email today from the NJ Giant Breed Rescue (I have Arturo crossposted on my site for Maryellen), apparently the woman who heads the giant breed rescue saw Arturo on Petfinder, and wanted to know where he came from, apparently a former volunteer of hers was fostering Mastiff/Dane pups for the group and adopted them out on her own :shock: .
So now not only is PAL negligent with Mosley's temperament and his foster home, they may have puppies that don't even belong to them!
huskyhouse
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby babyreba » May 24th, 2006, 6:17 pm

woah. that's just crazy.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » May 24th, 2006, 7:41 pm

:shock:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 7:42 pm

HOLY crap!!!!! So that means MaryEllen will probably get stiffed on the vet bill.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jesseca » May 24th, 2006, 7:49 pm

ahh geez :shock:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 7:50 pm

i am on the phone w/ the great dane rescue now. the volunteer adopted out 2 males, one black, one grey.. she was from northern nj (chester area) and wont give the dane rescue the info on where she placed the pups.. sooo arturo is probably not hers, but since the owner pal got them from has no idea where the owner got them from , who knows..

the best, the PAL rescue told me that since i am not a volunteer, i dont have any say in where arturo goes....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » May 24th, 2006, 8:27 pm

What a mess! I agree that a biting aggressive puppy needs to be PTS. Why save one with such problems when there are so many dogs and pups who have no temperament problems, I can not understand rescues who refuse to euth a bad dog..

Geez ME, I hope you don't get stiffed for all those vet bills... Damn, that sucks! Do you have any written contract with them saying they are responsible?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Vanessa » May 24th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I'm really sorry that you are going though this Mary Ellen. You seem like a great and knowlagable person that does wonderful things for the dogs that you help. I hope that you get all your money back. I hope someday that i can be involved in rescue and it's too bad that there are so many people out there that don't have the dogs best intrests at heart.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Previous

Return to Rescue