Susie needs a Foster Home

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 9:17 am

savagem wrote:This is exactly why I hesitated to post this here. I got pretty much the reaction I expected from most. Thank you, Lindsay, Alma, and Geneia, for at least offering support instead of just attempting to guilt me. :groupHug: Yes, perhaps I should have thought things through more thoroughly before I took on these guys. But they needed help and I thought I could offer that. And I HAVE offered that. The puppies are now eating solids and they are ready to be away from mama. I made a committment to a nursing mama and her pups. The pups no longer need to be nursing. I thought maybe someone would be willing to share the load now and take Susie off my hands since the babies no longer need her with them. I thought that this might be the place to look for some help with Susie. Crating, rotating, being careful--all of those things are things that I will do if necessary to keep Susie and my dogs safe. But it is a HUGE load for one person to handle, and I could sure use some help, that's all. :|

Seems to me a lot of people were offering possible solutions. :| One thing about a message board, if you post something asking for help, rest assured you are going to get help and/or opinions. It may not be want you want to hear but that's the point of message boards ( this one anyway) we don't always think alike.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:18 am

hoagiesmomma wrote:I'm sorry guys...

I'm still sticking with: if someone says they can't handle it...

why try to "convince" them they can? what if they actually CAN'T and something goes wrong???

melanie is no amateur at this...she's fostered and placed twenty dogs in the last year (or maybe even this year?)...

simply stated: I'm willing to trust her when she says she feels its too much for her.

Thank you again, Geneia. :groupHug:
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:20 am

muse wrote:
LindsaySF wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Of course if something DOES happen & the foster absolutly can find no way possible to make it work the rescue SHOULD step up to the plate & take the dog back.

For the record, we are talking about SPBR here...

~Lindsay~

THAT right there is why Eric and I had a falling out. He does NOT take dogs back once they are placed in foster homes.

Melanie, I feel for ya Darling, I do. But I know I cant have that kinda female in my house with Jesse. I will however offer to take Blaze for a bit if that would be of any help to you at all. He is ALWAYS welcome back..

sorry, wish I could do more. :?

Thanks Alma. I might have to take you up on this if I simply cannot find the energy to make it work otherwise. But that will be a last resort--I love that big lug!
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 9:20 am

out of the pits has 6 dogs in their program http://www.outofthepits.org
animal farm foundation has 4 dogs in their program http://www.animalfarmfoundation.org

try them. they might be able to take susie..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:21 am

hoagiesmomma wrote:I don't want to incite a riot here...

but I heard alot of "I can't do it because I know my limitations"

followed (or preceded) immediately by...

your responsibility. your commitment. not fair to the dogs. stick it out...et cetera.

am I the only one thinking somethings a little incongruent with those two views?

"I know my limitations"...should only be followed by "I'm sorry this is so hard for you. I'll do whatever I can (however limited that may be) to help."

Yes, thank you. Why is this so difficult to do? Why the guilt trips and the "you should have's"? How does this help anyone? :|
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:23 am

LindsaySF wrote:
Miakoda wrote:Under the circumstances, which would've been worse? Allowing a dog to live in a crowded household for a short time only to be involved in a major scuffle & then dumped somewhere else (not to mention all the puppies) or a painless & humane end to a life already miserable?

Melanie has agreed to keep all 8 puppies until they are placed.

And I would in no way say Susie is "miserable". Far from it. I have been to Melanie's house. Susie looks quite happy actually and she has started to put on weight.

Of course the situation is not ideal. But I don't think putting Susie to sleep would have been the better solution here.

~Lindsay~

Thanks Lindsay. :groupHug: No, Susie is not miserable here. In fact, she has finally started putting on weight and playing with the other dogs. I am the one who is miserable. The load is too much, I am tired, I need help. :|
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 9:23 am

ok, you have 4 personal dogs of your own?? i would suggest this.. once you find another foster for susie, or a foster for the puppies. then dont foster anymore. 4 personal dogs plus a child is ALOT.. hell i have 3 personal dogs and can only handle 1 foster at a time, and i have no kids.. i would say, once these pups and susie are gone, take a break from fostering.. for a long time.. when your pack is down to 3 dogs, still dont foster. when your pack is down to 2 dogs, then yes, start fostering again, but do ONE DOG only.. no mother and pups, just one dog or puppy.. you are burning yourself out, and to take in more then you can handle, while trying to save them, is doing damage to you, your family, and your dogs..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 9:25 am

also, post on http://www.ucarerescue.net as they are more rescue orientated..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 9:25 am

savagem wrote:
hoagiesmomma wrote:I don't want to incite a riot here...

but I heard alot of "I can't do it because I know my limitations"

followed (or preceded) immediately by...

your responsibility. your commitment. not fair to the dogs. stick it out...et cetera.

am I the only one thinking somethings a little incongruent with those two views?

"I know my limitations"...should only be followed by "I'm sorry this is so hard for you. I'll do whatever I can (however limited that may be) to help."

Yes, thank you. Why is this so difficult to do? Why the guilt trips and the "you should have's"? How does this help anyone? :|

The "you should have's" are simply some people's way of rendering advice they think you should heed in the future, and although it may not help you, it may help someone considering fostering.

I will say again, just because no one can offer to take Susie for you from this group, this does not mean people are not well intended in their posts.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 9:25 am

Maybe it will help someone ( anyone, not pointing fingers here) see that taking on a responsiblity like this is not always fun. Sure the pups are cute & cuddly but you have to look at the WHOLE picture. You have to decide if you are really up to a possible long term commitment. I know some peopls who have had foster dogs, that have to be seperated from personal dogs, for YEARS.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:25 am

a-bull wrote:right . . . and if you read the last couple of posts above, I suggested Petfinder's "Urgent" section and a bully breed forum that seems to be quite helpful to rescuers.

Yes, thank you. I will post everywhere that I can. I have never had any success through Petfinder, but I'll try again.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 9:28 am

I agree regarding Petfinder, but you never know---that bullybreed forum seems helpful, though . . . :|
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 24th, 2006, 9:28 am

Sue wrote:We adopted our first pit bull from Hartford... We brought up one of my cats and our dog Pepper to meet her and she was fine. Needless to say, within the first week, she tried to attack Pepper. Then we found out that she had a tremendous prey drive and wanted to eat the kitties - one of which was older and didn't move very quickly. After a little bit, she and Pepper learned to live together, but the cat aggression remained. It took us over 6 months to place her and she stayed with us. We had to be careful with the cats and make sure they were well hidden from her. We made it work, because we thought she deserved that much. Sure my cats were displaced and Casey spent quite a bit of time tethered to the dining room table so she could still be with us and not get at Pepper, but it worked.

Sue I love that picture you posted once of Casey curled up in the bed under the covers like a bug in a rug! Sorry, off topic....
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:33 am

Maryellen wrote:ok, you have 4 personal dogs of your own?? i would suggest this.. once you find another foster for susie, or a foster for the puppies. then dont foster anymore. 4 personal dogs plus a child is ALOT.. hell i have 3 personal dogs and can only handle 1 foster at a time, and i have no kids.. i would say, once these pups and susie are gone, take a break from fostering.. for a long time.. when your pack is down to 3 dogs, still dont foster. when your pack is down to 2 dogs, then yes, start fostering again, but do ONE DOG only.. no mother and pups, just one dog or puppy.. you are burning yourself out, and to take in more then you can handle, while trying to save them, is doing damage to you, your family, and your dogs..

With all due respect, Maryellen, this is exactly what I had planned to do before Eric told me that Susie and her pups were in immediate danger if I did not take them on. And I have two children, not one. And I have handled 20 other foster dogs over the past year with three personal dogs and 2 kids, and they have all been placed into wonderful new homes. Don't you think you're being a bit presumptuous in telling me when I should take on more fosters, how many I should take one, etc., etc.? I mean, come on....are you my mother? 8)
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby muse » May 24th, 2006, 9:33 am

savagem wrote:
muse wrote:
LindsaySF wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Of course if something DOES happen & the foster absolutly can find no way possible to make it work the rescue SHOULD step up to the plate & take the dog back.

For the record, we are talking about SPBR here...

~Lindsay~

THAT right there is why Eric and I had a falling out. He does NOT take dogs back once they are placed in foster homes.

Melanie, I feel for ya Darling, I do. But I know I cant have that kinda female in my house with Jesse. I will however offer to take Blaze for a bit if that would be of any help to you at all. He is ALWAYS welcome back..

sorry, wish I could do more. :?

Thanks Alma. I might have to take you up on this if I simply cannot find the energy to make it work otherwise. But that will be a last resort--I love that big lug!

You know my number, Dear, just call. :hug3: :)

I also feel the need to say that being new to the entire rescue/foster process I wasnt aware that Eric wouldnt step up in unforeseen circumstances and take back the dog. I ASSUMED that ALL rescues would take them back. I was wrong and attacked when I questioned this.

Mel, Im going to send out a few emails today and see if theres some way I can help you out with her, Ill let ya know. Dont stress, we'll figure something out. :wink:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 9:36 am

Does Susie belong to SPBR??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:37 am

I will say again, just because no one can offer to take Susie for you from this group, this does not mean people are not well intended in their posts.[/quote]

Gotcha. I just don't think that guilting me about the situation is the least bit helpful. :| The rest of the advice has been well-intended and helpful--thank you.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:38 am

a-bull wrote:Does Susie belong to SPBR??

No--I never signed the foster agreement with him.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 9:39 am

And truthfully, it ALL falls back to Eric. These are his dogs & ultimatley, HE is responsible for them. I do hope you find a solution or a new foster home for her or just SOMETHING that works.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:41 am

I'm feeling much less frantic today. When you've just broken up a fight between your beloved dogs and gotten bitten in the process--I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to panic. :( It's scary and it's draining--both emotionally and physically.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue