What a long Hike!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rockermom » May 23rd, 2006, 4:23 pm

Phew.... Went on a long hike today with some friends. THese girls do this every week. Bringing their dogs. I dont usually bring Rocky since they usually have a few dogs and they allow them off lead. Today I brought him since we were on a trail in which dogs are to be on leash. Well once we got into the woods thank god only 3 dogs total, they let their dogs off leash. One lady who is a wonderful woman and loves dogs. Recently lost her GSD mix and brings other peoples dogs. So she had a dog that was not even hers off lead and this dog and Rocky wanted to play. She made me feel so bad and said I was torturing Rocky by not letting him go. She continued to encourrage me to let him go. I trieed to explain to her that the dogs did not belong running ahead in a pack. What if they came across hikers on this heavily traveled trail. Rocky would jump on the hikers and probably follow a hiker to play with them. It definately could go bad. I DID NOT do it. Man she made me feel so bad. Poor Rocky has red marks from the dam harness from trying so hard to keep up with the other dogs. Needless to say I will no longer bring Rocky on these hikes. Please tell me I did the right thing by not letting him off lead.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 23rd, 2006, 4:27 pm

If any of my friends who borrow my dogs to walk them EVER let them offleash I would beat that person within an inch of their life. Purely irresponsible to be letting another person's dog offleash. Rediculous.

You did the right thing. You weighed the pros and cons and as far as you were concerned the cons outweighed the pros and you kept him onleash. I have had people try to make me feel bad for keeping Wally on leash, like when we're walking on the beach, but I KNOW that if he was offleash and a horse ran by he would be gone, or if a small dog ran by, or a bird, he would be off like a shot. Don't let her make you feel guilty for doing the responsible thing.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » May 23rd, 2006, 4:34 pm

Thank You for your answer it makes me feel better. I only feel bad that Rocky may have some raw spots from the harness. He usually walks so nice on leash but with friggen dog running past him trying to get him to play and run it was not good.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 23rd, 2006, 4:58 pm

i would have slapped her silly if she tried that with me.. that is totally irresponsible., and i wouldnt walk with her anymore.. how dare she tell you to let rocky off lead?????? you did the right thing..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jenn » May 23rd, 2006, 5:03 pm

YES you did the right thing!!! You would be feeling even worse, if you were at home and Rocky was missing. ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » May 23rd, 2006, 5:11 pm

Thank You Thank YOu. They kept telling me that Rocky would not leave the other dogs. I was not taking any chances. I do not condone their usual hikes of quite a few dogs I heard there has been as many as 6 or more off lead. I will continue to join the hikes good exercise. But Im not bringing Rocky!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 23rd, 2006, 5:14 pm

That lady is dumb. You are smart for not doing that.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Jenn » May 23rd, 2006, 5:20 pm

I think you should still bring him. :| Teach him to pay more attention to you, and teach them that your dog can be just as happy if not happier walking as he should, beside YOU. :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » May 23rd, 2006, 5:36 pm

Yeah but it was real hard to get him to walk beside me since one of the other dogs was taunting and trying to play. THey all were afraid I would get pulled down a rocky slope as some of the group has had this happen. But I have been teaching Rocky to wait when we get to a dangerous area like the stairs at home even. And at one point when I was telling Rocky to settle and stop the horse play she did not stop the other dog but seemed anoyed that I would just not let Rocky off. I am not a strong willed person and I usually give in. But I knew in my heart I should not let him go. Do others think I should continue to go on the hikes even if the other dogs will be off lead. Some of them can even get nasty to one another. Which Is why I chose to go on this one. knowing some of the other dogs would not be there today. I think I should just not bring him.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 23rd, 2006, 6:05 pm

Of course you did the right thing! People are crazy. You're the parent, you know what's best for your child, right? Right.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » May 23rd, 2006, 8:44 pm

You did the right thing!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby call2arms » May 23rd, 2006, 11:40 pm

If you want, keep bringing Rocky on hikes. He can learn to behave quietly even with dogs trying to play with him, while spending some quality time with you. Maybe get some horse fuzz padding (for halters and bridles) to put on Rocky's harness?

This lady is definately not responsible, and is encouraging you to do the same. Maybe try to talk with her?
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Hoyden » May 23rd, 2006, 11:46 pm

If someone walking my dog EVER let them off leash to "play", there would be hell to pay!

I don't think I would have handled that woman too diplomatically when she tried to "guilt" you into letting Rocky off leash.

You did the right thing to keep him on the leash.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby muse » May 24th, 2006, 12:48 am

I wouldnt have let mine off leash either, it only invites rough play and things could have gone out of control quickly. Good for you for standing up for both yourself and Rocky, thats responsible ownership, you should be proud of your decision. :wink:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby rockermom » May 24th, 2006, 9:31 am

call2arms wrote:If you want, keep bringing Rocky on hikes. He can learn to behave quietly even with dogs trying to play with him, while spending some quality time with you. Maybe get some horse fuzz padding (for halters and bridles) to put on Rocky's harness?

This lady is definately not responsible, and is encouraging you to do the same. Maybe try to talk with her?

That horse fuzz padding for halters sounds like a great idea.
But I dont think I will go on the hikes with this crew. this lady is not the only one who feels this way. I go to spend time with Rocky. They go to chat and the dogs are ahead of them in their own group. THey have been doing this for several years. I am a newbee with the hiking group. I need to find someone who wants to be with their dogs or if the dogs are off lead is aware of what the dogs are doing and is keeping the dog close by.
However I would be interested on how he would learn to behave. I guess I would use the same type of training that works for him for a heel etc.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk