Contact Allergies

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby jmb06 » January 23rd, 2006, 9:54 am

Patches has contact allergies :( Originally we though it was a food allergy, but I have had her on probably every kind of dog food out there (prescription and store bought) and nothing is helping her.

She's not really suffering at all, it's just that she's a mostly white dog, and her skin on her tummy by her rear legs goes from pinkish to bright red, then back to normal, etc., and really bothers me to see. It flares up and goes away...no set time frame. This has been going on for maybe 1 1/2 years now. I didn't get the allergy test done last week because Oreo's vet visits have taken my savings down too much for my liking. If Patches gets really bad I would have the test done.

I would like to try to eliminate things myself first, so if anone has any ideas of how to go about doing this I would so much appreciate it. It's not a seasonal thing as this rash does not change with the seasons.

Thanks :)
jmb06
Just Whelped
 
Posts: 15
Location: PA

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 12:18 pm

does it happen when she lays down outside in the grass?? it could be a grass allergy, plus a carpet allergy if you use powders or cleaners in your carpet.. i would get the allergy testing done once you can afford it,this way you can help tackle what you dont know she is allergic to.

you can also take a warm washcloth and every time she comes in fromlaying in the grass or getting up off the carpet and wipe her off.. this should help a little with the spots/irritation..
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby jmb06 » January 24th, 2006, 5:01 pm

At first I thought possible grass allergy, but with it being winter, and her being such a chicken who thinks the cold air might freeze her to death LOL, she isn't out there laying in the grass at all. She literally goes outside only to poop and pee and go for a walk.

It has to be something inside. I don't use powders on my carpet as they bother my son (he has some symptoms of being mildly asthmatic). I was thinking maybe the laundry detergent as she sleeps on my bed at night, but then a few months ago she was sleeping in her crate and she was still getting red. I really have no idea what to possibly eliminate in the house. I keep the house clean at all times, and dust regularly. As for cleaners, anyone know of a good one I could try that will clean good and minimize any allergic reactions? The only cleaners I ever use on things the dog comes in contact with that have not been ruled out are Pine Sol (I dilute it in a spray bottle for an all-purpose cleaner), vinyl floor cleaner, and when I use the Clorox spray I rinse everything thoroughly, but I don't use the Clorox that often on anything she may ome in contact with.

Sometimes I think I'm just a magnet for problematic dogs ;) LOL
jmb06
Just Whelped
 
Posts: 15
Location: PA

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 6:52 pm

i use white vinegar for cleaning my house only... you might also test your house for dust mites... some dogs are allergic to that too.. it could be her bed as well, or your bed sheets at night.. i have a problematic dog too so i feel your pain :)
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby jmb06 » January 25th, 2006, 7:57 am

Vinegar??? Now I have heard of that but never tried it because I can't stand the smell of it. LOL Does it leave the whole house smelling like that? It reminds me of when my mother used moth crystals in the vacuum...oh how I would run out of the house for the day to get away from that smell. LOL

How do you test for dust mites? That is something I would love to try. I do know they can be a problem even in a clean house.

Thanks so much :)
jmb06
Just Whelped
 
Posts: 15
Location: PA

Postby Maryellen » January 25th, 2006, 8:21 am

white vinegar i use.. it smells for a little while, but then goes away.. test your dog at the vet for house mites. every house has them.. my gsd her allergy level for mites is at 3000 and it should be at like 600. there is stuff you can buy to kill most of the mites .
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby CinderDee » January 25th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Maryellen wrote:white vinegar i use.. it smells for a little while, but then goes away.. test your dog at the vet for house mites. every house has them.. my gsd her allergy level for mites is at 3000 and it should be at like 600. there is stuff you can buy to kill most of the mites .


What is the stuff, ME?
Dee
User avatar
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer
 
Posts: 3414
Location: Forever in my heart...

Postby Maryellen » January 25th, 2006, 4:08 pm

http://www.grayenvironmental.com/Dust_Mites.htm
http://www.indoorpurifiers.com/dust-mites.htm

and there is a bag of powder that i have at home that says its safe for animals to kill the mites, i will look at the bag when i get home tonight for the name. the vet wanted to sell me the same bag for $100, i went online and got it for $30..
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby CinderDee » January 25th, 2006, 4:09 pm

You're so awesome, ME! Thanks! :D
Dee
User avatar
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer
 
Posts: 3414
Location: Forever in my heart...


Return to Nutrition & Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]