Help before i totally flip out!!!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Gatsu » May 19th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Okay shiva is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!! shes rebelling to everything! also what she does now is crap in the house!!!!! its her new thing, she'll go pee outside once she comes back in (cause she hasnt done anything for the last 10 min) she goes to crap in my room!!!!! Now i've absolutley had it with this and she is driving me completely NUTS!!!!!! she started to run away hide and do it now she does it in the open.

like im about to lose it, im really getting annoyed that my room has to smell like crap!! my room is the basement and her cage is in it. SHE WAS PERFECTLY HOUSE BROKEN, what the hell is this???

plz help,

Jon

p.s. sorry im just very pissed off!! every second i try and relax (have a headache otherwise id be out on a friday night) she does something. unfortunately now shes in her cage and probably will be for the rest of the night.
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 19th, 2006, 9:55 pm

The solution is fairly simple. Monitor her outside and don't let her come in until she's poo'ed out there. If she does NOT poo out there, crate her and let her back out in a while, when she needs to poo. If she doesn't, she's crated again and up until you witness a BM. Otherwise she doesn't deserve the run of the house. So that requires you to watch her and go outside with her, not just let her out and assume she went poo out there.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 19th, 2006, 10:03 pm

How old is she now?

I had the same problem with my female around 18 mos. or so, (I think it was). It was really frustrating because she'd go right near the door, no matter how often she was let out . . . and she, too, was perfectly housetrained.

She did finally stop, but I can't to this day tell you why. I wondered if it was some 'marking' type behavior, or maybe it was just the naughty age, because she was generally very naughty and attention seeking at that age.

Scented candles are good for stink in small areas---just be careful. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 19th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Uh-oh. Sounds like she's hit the Terrible Teenage stage. :o
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Gatsu » May 19th, 2006, 11:03 pm

i do watch her while shes outside. she just decides to poop in my room!! i leave her there for a while but she doesnt go. and i did just that before and she pooed in her cage.

shes not having any poo problems, its solid and smelly(is there any other kind?).

only with me though shes acting up? not my mother not my brother, ME. and normally im the ALPHA im the one she listens to the most. it is very frustrating!!!

im thinking BOARDING SCHOOL :devil: :devil:

i feel like my parents did with me hahahaha....
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hoagiesmomma » May 19th, 2006, 11:05 pm

just stay patient and consistent with her.

as long as you address her problems...she'll outgrow them.

when we brought nandie here he refused to poop anywhere but in the house...drove me NUTS.

just a few short weeks later he learned not only to potty outside, but to ring the bell on the door when he had to go...and only poos in the grass (not in my landscaping).

crate her if she's being a potty brat...that'll learn her.
hoagiesmomma
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Gatsu » May 19th, 2006, 11:16 pm

i do but she doesnt shut up... like whining friggin loud and high pitched.. she sounds liek a flock of extremly annoying birds. i try and ignore her, and praise her when quiet... she looks at me like okay... then turn around she starts again ...

im losing it...
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 19th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Gatsu wrote:i do but she doesnt shut up... like whining friggin loud and high pitched.. she sounds liek a flock of extremly annoying birds. i try and ignore her, and praise her when quiet... she looks at me like okay... then turn around she starts again ...

im losing it...

Squirt bottle. If she likes it and licks it off, add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar. Works like a charm. :)
Also ignoring her or just basically saying, while cleaning up her poo, "I can't believe you did this!" but not making a huge deal of it, might help too. It might be an attention getter. Sounds like she has your attention...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Gatsu » May 19th, 2006, 11:55 pm

lol... umm when ur falling a sleep and poo fills the room cause theres a fan on... yeah u'll get anyone attention...
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 20th, 2006, 2:17 am

Marinepits wrote:Uh-oh. Sounds like she's hit the Terrible Teenage stage. :o

Sounds like it to me too. Damn dogs will drive you nuts if you let them, they are like a bunch of two year olds with a death wish. Good luck, don't kill your dog, this too shall pass. (i've been saying that a LOT lately)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » May 20th, 2006, 8:47 am

If you are bringing him outside and just standing there, that's part of the problem. Walking always speeds the process up. Take him for a walk until he poops.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 20th, 2006, 9:11 am

Yup, and I agree with Cheeky, too---don't pay her any attention while cleaning up her business, no matter how tempting.

When they go through the naughty stage, they'll do anything for attention, and they don't care if the attention is good or bad. If you address all harmless, naughty behavior, you'll find yourself struggling with her all the time. She's probably giving you more of a run for your money than the rest of the family because you're her primary caretaker---my female did that, too---speaking of which, females are very stubborn.

Lastly, walks?? How about if you bring her for a loooong walk? a) Dogs are more inclined to do there business on walks because they get to mark over other dog's territory, which is a blast, I guess, and b) If she's trying to get your attention, she'll have it in a way that's positive for you both . . . plus she'll be tired when you get her home, and hopefully less naughty. :) Toys, too---make sure she has lots of age appropriate busy toys.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Gatsu » May 20th, 2006, 12:57 pm

age appropriate toys? dont say kongs cause she doesn't chew on them at all. she'll only eat what u put inside them. shes got some ropes, she likes rawhides and marrow bones... tennis balls...
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 20th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Does she like to play tug? What about tossing a ball around for her? Mine love to chase balls, they don't always bring them back so I have several that I throw, so I can retrieve one while they are chasing the other. Or maybe a boomer ball. They are pretty big, indestructable & you can fill them with water or sand so they wobble. Some dogs like them but not mine.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » May 20th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Gatsu wrote:age appropriate toys? dont say kongs cause she doesn't chew on them at all. she'll only eat what u put inside them. shes got some ropes, she likes rawhides and marrow bones... tennis balls...

Kongs, kongs, kongs . . . there, I said it. :P So I gather you've done the frozen peanutbutter in the Kong trick?

Nylabones are good. She may like chewing them, and unlike rawhides and marrow bones, there isn't really anything to eat so she gets bored once it's consumed.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 20th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Rocky enjoys chewing nylabones. I too am entering the teen rebellion. Rocky is 10 mos now. His way of getting attention is at the wrong moments repededly jumping on my and doing bitey face. Making noises and stuff running through the house with zoomies like he did at 5 mos old. I am going to do more shaping exersizes like the box game. He enjoys these and it tires him out.
Also I would confine her someplace else where the mess would be easy to clean up and you can ignore the whine.

THis is Rocky a couple of months ago playing the box game.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby pitprincess » May 23rd, 2006, 7:55 am

WOW...I'm actually glad to hear this ...I don't feel so dumb. Meesha did that twice in a seven day period pooped on the floor in the living room!!!! I could have died and my boyfriend was going to kill her! She only eve did this once before in the house and thats when we first got her. Is it a rebellion or just bad training? Now we are even more cautious of her cues and taking her outside after eating meals. The crazy thing is Meesha could honestly poop every time she goes out it seems.......poop machine she is.
pitprincess
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » May 23rd, 2006, 8:12 am

My last foster Venus was doing that. I would bring her outside, and less than half an hour later she would poop in her crate for attention. So what I did was pop a leash on her and put the leash under my foot so she couldn't go anywhere while I pulled out the dirty blankets, then threw her immediately back in her crate. After realizing that pooping in her crate not only didn't get her out of her crate, but also didn't get her any attention (I would say nothing to her, would not pet her, just snap the leash on), she stopped. I think it took about 3 times of pooping and then it was all over.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Cuda » May 23rd, 2006, 8:23 am

Everyone here is spot on with what they are saying but i would like to add 1 more thing.

Alot of show people before they enter the ring want their dog to "empty out" for obvious reasons. They stick a unlit matchstick up the but a little bit which stimulates the dog to drop a duece.

Granted that isnt going to make her stop but at the end of the night or right before work if you have to crate her and leave or want to fall asleep peacefully that can be a lifesaver for you.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 23rd, 2006, 9:14 am

I had to match Tess when I got her. She was so used to being corrected when pooping whe would NOT go on leash. We do not have a fence, so too bad, she had to go on leash.

So we would match her inside, then go right outside and wait.

The important part was I clicked and treated while she was pooping. I named the behavior "poop". I praised her, and I ignored poop in the house, firguring it was my own fault for not watching her enough.

She now will poop on command, and is not afraid to poop on leash. Took a month, she had MAJOR trust issues.

For whining in the crate, I use a half a glass of water. I yell "That'll Do" while throwing the water in her face, then fill up the cup again and place it near the crate entrance.

If she started again, I stomped to the crate, yelled "That'll DO" and picked up the water and threw it, then refilled it and put it back.

I now do NOT have to do this more than once, and usually if I say "That'll Do" she shuts up. However, I try to make sure she is exercised, physically and mentally, and she has kongs, bones, etc in her crate. My dogs do not chew on kongs either, the point is to suck out the middles.

My dal/whippt mix has to run before he can poop. It took me a year of him pooping in the agility ring to figure out that the running in the ring made him need to poop, so now we run on leash for a few minutes several times a day at trials to make sure he empties before we go in the ring!

Be patient with her, treat her for pooping outside, use the crate paired with lots of outdoor exercise and training. She'll get it.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Next

Return to Training & Behavior