Running

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby PittieLove » May 22nd, 2006, 9:00 pm

How long woul dan over run be to you? I have been running Ivan along side the bike(he isnt one of those dogs that zigs back and forth, pulls, and goes crazy-unlike Duece) i havent been going to fast, and we go about 15mins-1hr, not very long at a jog/run. We stop and swim in the lake, get water and rest. Seem good?
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby lluksa » May 22nd, 2006, 11:09 pm

I think as long as he isn't showing any signs of exhaustion, he should be fine. I would also check the pads of his feet. And your stopping for water and a break...sounds like a great way to build up his endurance!
Lisa

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" Franklin D. Roosevelt
lluksa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 23rd, 2006, 6:51 am

You can build his stamina by taking some electrolyte formula with you....be sure he isn't gassing...

I can easily do 4-5 miles with Sacha....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Romanwild » May 23rd, 2006, 8:14 am

Sounds good to me.

Are you doing it for a purpose? A sport or event?

I worked Dreyfus up to 7 miles last year. He loved it. The swim is a great idea because it cools them down very well.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 23rd, 2006, 9:54 am

Satin runs about 4 miles three mornings a week with my husband. I'm so glad she absolutely loves it. She is still so crazy, I can't imagine what she'd be like if she didn't get this exercise!

Sounds like what you're doing is fine for your dog...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 23rd, 2006, 9:57 am

I do protection sport with both of my dogs. However, I run with Sacha just to get her some good exercise, and it keeps me company....

I only do 1-2 miles with the puppy right now because she's still growing.

I do it for endurance with both of them. Some dogs gas really easily...especially on a hot day....I've noticed that both my girls can work harder and longer when it's really hot compared to dogs that don't get the same workouts....

I use Nupro electrolyte formula everyday after they run (if we go out on the bike, I take it with me)....it's great stuff...and it keeps them hydrated

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 23rd, 2006, 10:00 am

Where do you bike with your dogs? Do you have a spring clip on the bike or just hold the leash? How do you handle other dogs and such? What does your dog wear for collar/harness?

I live where there are no sidewalks, so we would have to be on roads, Also, there are loose dogs around, although most are harmless.

My dal mix would be able to bike, as he is proofed on these things, but Tess is still pretty reactive, and I like unbroken bones! I just keep flashing back to the bike scene in 101 dalmations!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 23rd, 2006, 1:04 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Where do you bike with your dogs? Do you have a spring clip on the bike or just hold the leash? How do you handle other dogs and such? What does your dog wear for collar/harness?

I live where there are no sidewalks, so we would have to be on roads, Also, there are loose dogs around, although most are harmless.

My dal mix would be able to bike, as he is proofed on these things, but Tess is still pretty reactive, and I like unbroken bones! I just keep flashing back to the bike scene in 101 dalmations!

Jen, if I take them out on the bike (depends on how much time I have: more time = running; less time = biking), I take them on the road. We have sidewalks at my house, but there's simply not enough room for both my dog and bike. I use what is called a Springer (http://www.springerusa.com/). It works really well....they have them now at some regular petstores...but I ordered mine straight from the company.

I hooked it up to be on the right side, rather than the left so that the dog would always be closest to the sidewalk (b/c God knows that I'd rather get hit by a car than have my dog get hit).

Sacha is fairly well trained, so I can just hook her up to a flat collar or a harness (though I tend to steer towards the flat collar). With the puppy, though (and while Sacha was still being trained not to pull me) I use the pinch/prong collar. It just trains them to not pull you over/forward, etc...

I think the hardest part has been teaching them that it's okay to be on my right side, and running next to me...I just gave it a new command "Bike" so they don't get it confused with "heel."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health