Savagem needs Help with Mother and pups

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby savagem » May 22nd, 2006, 9:07 am

Another update--all of a sudden Susie is packing on the weight! Her hipbones have disappeared, and it no longer makes me flinch to run my hands down her spine. Yay, Susie! She is starting to play with my other dogs too. I just have to be careful that NO food or bones or anything edible is around, 'cause she is very food aggressive--even to the point of growling at her pups if they approach the foodbowl when she eats. I can take anything from her without so much as a flinch, but another dog comes over and watch out! But if I take her outside away from where the food is stored in the garage, and she will actually participate in fetch now. So nice to see her acting more like a normal dog!
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LindsaySF » May 22nd, 2006, 10:32 am

savagem wrote:Another update--all of a sudden Susie is packing on the weight! Her hipbones have disappeared, and it no longer makes me flinch to run my hands down her spine. Yay, Susie! She is starting to play with my other dogs too. I just have to be careful that NO food or bones or anything edible is around, 'cause she is very food aggressive--even to the point of growling at her pups if they approach the foodbowl when she eats. I can take anything from her without so much as a flinch, but another dog comes over and watch out! But if I take her outside away from where the food is stored in the garage, and she will actually participate in fetch now. So nice to see her acting more like a normal dog!

Yay!! Go Susie! :D

It is hard to predict this, but I have seen dogs in the past act food and toy aggressive when they were sick and/or in a new environment. But once they were healthy and feeling better, little to no food aggression. I wonder if that will happen with Susie? :|

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 22nd, 2006, 12:05 pm

This is soo good to hear!! I am glad the diet switch worked for her

I just have to be careful that NO food or bones or anything edible is around, 'cause she is very food aggressive--even to the point of growling at her pups if they approach the foodbowl when she eats. I can take anything from her without so much as a flinch, but another dog comes over and watch out!

This is the way it is in my house. I can reach down into their throats to grab something & they don't flinch........but if one of them nears the other's food bowl it's on. I feed them all seperatly & the problem is solved. Food aggression towards other dogs is really nothing to worry about IMO, just don't feed them together, lots of dogs are like this.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby KaylasMomJenn » May 22nd, 2006, 2:47 pm

Mel-have you noticed her growl at the other dogs if you're petting them? Marshmallow jumped up on me for some lovin, and Susie came over and bit her (literally from across the room) Marshmallow jumped on the window sill to look outside, and Susie growled at her. She also "attacked" them through my glass doors, but that was her first day there and she was probably scared poopless.

She did well side-by-side as long as there was nothing else around (food, water, bones) and as long as I didn't try to pet the other dogs with her watching.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 22nd, 2006, 7:18 pm

Hi Jenn,

Susie will growl if I am petting her and another dog comes over for some attention. I just tell her to knock it off, though, and she does. And I wanted to address the vaginal discharge, since the other thread was locked...Susie went to the vet a couple of days after she got here, and the vet didn't think she was ill. No temp., and no vaginal discharge. Appetite like a horse! And she went back to the vet a couple of days ago and she seems to be getting better and better. Don't know what the discharge was all about, but I noticed it too on her original transport up to your house. But I think Susie is on the road to recovery now.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby KaylasMomJenn » May 23rd, 2006, 1:26 pm

I'm glad she's doing well.
Post pictures of the puppy as often as you can! I am anxious to see how they've grown!
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 9:39 pm

KaylasMomJenn wrote:I'm glad she's doing well.
Post pictures of the puppy as often as you can! I am anxious to see how they've grown!

Hey Jenn,

I'll pm photos as soon as I take them. Don't plan on doing public posts here for awhile. :|
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health