rebellion

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » May 19th, 2006, 9:03 am

I think we are beginning the rebellion stage. Rocky is probably 10 1/2 months. All of a sudden he seems to be starting to be rebellious. Jumping on me to get attention when I knee him off and say no jumping he kind of gives a back talk groan noise he does bitey face at me like, I wanna play come on play.
What I did today was after saying stop jumping and getting back talk I told him thats it time out and in the crate he went where he is now doing whiney boy. Soon as he quiets I will let him out. Any other suggestions on how to put an end to bratty behavior. lately I have had to be very firm with Rocky. MaybeI have to get that shaker can back out or squirt?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 19th, 2006, 9:11 am

NILIF.. its a great tool.. http://www.k9deb.com Nothing in life is free.. basically the dog has to work to earn what he wants.. he is probably being a typical teenager, so you have to set rules and boundaries again. and more exercise.. i cant stress enough how more exercise will keep a dog satisfied and an owner happy.. work on his obedience,add some new obedience in, do agility with him, do something to work his mind and his energy.. he is an active dog, so you have to stimulate his mind and body more then a slug dog.. try a flirt pole, or build a spring pole . do longer walks, maybe do jogs... swimming too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 19th, 2006, 9:23 am

Ok I have to try to do more exercise. Plan to start doing some agility once the kids get out of school. I do NILIF but have been doing since he came to us. SO it is just routine now and he has been pushing the trying to get on the couch because, Rocky says I love you and you want me to cuddle up on the couch with you. But what is the best way to handle the behavior and the back talk when it happens. At home I guess crate time out is good. But what if out somewhere? I tend to automatically do what I learned in my first training class and hold his mouth closed and say no mouth. I know he hates this and just wants to mouth more.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 19th, 2006, 10:04 am

I used to put Jack on a down stay if we were in public and he was acting up. Abrupt and long enough for him to start looking bored. Just like kids, you can't be afraid to discipline in public or they will take you for a ride!

(We have all seen these moms and dads in grocery stores)
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » May 19th, 2006, 11:08 am

Oh yeah I am not one of those parents. I sure dont want to be one of those parents with the dog either. Great Rocky is becomming a teenager huh this is going to be tough. I aslo have a 16 year old 2 legger. Well looks like I need a bigger dog house. One built for 2.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 19th, 2006, 11:10 am

yep, its the teenage years in a dogs life... thats why alot of dogs are surrendered to the shelters between 9 months and 18 months old...

more exercise, more mind stimulations. he is testing you to see what he can get away with.. if you give him an inch he will take a mile.. put him in a down stay if he is being a brat outside.. dont baby him..

it does get better after the 18 month mark usually...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 19th, 2006, 11:21 am

Good to hear it gets better at the 18 month mark.

Knuckles is 10 months and I have found he is getting very mouthy lately. I find it more so with my 5 year old son. Whenever they interact I am standing right there. So I immediately correct him with a firm "No bite" and he starts to lick my son instead. He does not bite down or anything just likes to open his mouth with him. He also like to pull my sons hair. Just as if my son is his litter mate but I know it is important at this time to not allow this to happen. A lot of it is training my son too.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 19th, 2006, 11:28 am

ME the link is filled with great information. Thank you.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 19th, 2006, 11:32 am

your welcome... welcome to the wonderful teenage years in a dog... some are easy, some are not.. if you just keep perserverance, training, and mental and physical stimulation going you can get thru it... i went thru it twice and didnt think i would, but i did.. i made sure jesse and rufus got lots of extra exercise, mind games, different obedience stuff, and nilif 24/7..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 19th, 2006, 11:34 am

Thats exactly what Rocky does and licks when you yell owe or no bite. He especially gets into it with my 16 yr old but I guess 2 teens enjoy to play that way. Yesterday he was doing it to me while I was on the phone. Jumping and doing bitey face. Im going to have to fill the spray bottle again for those moments. What makes it harder is Im a stay at home mom and he probably would love to play all day. Just not possible. Gonna be fun when the kids are home this summer. I think I need to arrange some days away!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 19th, 2006, 1:25 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Thats exactly what Rocky does and licks when you yell owe or no bite. He especially gets into it with my 16 yr old but I guess 2 teens enjoy to play that way. Yesterday he was doing it to me while I was on the phone. Jumping and doing bitey face. Im going to have to fill the spray bottle again for those moments. What makes it harder is Im a stay at home mom and he probably would love to play all day. Just not possible. Gonna be fun when the kids are home this summer. I think I need to arrange some days away!

I am a SAHM Sunday - Thursday. For sanity purposes I started to work Wednesday night, Friday and Saturday when my husband is home. When I am home I get pulled in 4 directions between the two kids and the two younger dogs. Luckily my older dog is easy to deal with but sometimes becomes extremely needy. I am planning on getting a wagon for the two kids to sit in so that I can pull them or have the two dogs pull them and be able to be out doing stuff with them this summer.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior