Cryptospiridiosis

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » May 16th, 2006, 5:32 pm

the vet thinks that this is the parasite that arturo got from georgia.. he gave me a free bottle of tylan or something like that to give him. i just gave him the id food and the powder antibiotic, and he actually pooped a solid poop. if the tylan powder doesnt work then we are going to try pancreatic meds next...

Cryptosporidium is a parasite that causes diarrhea

Cryptosporidium infections (cryptosporidiosis) have been reported in humans and a wide variety of animals such as cattle, dogs, and cats. Infected humans and animals shed the parasite in their feces (stool). As a result, Cryptosporidium can be found in any environment that is contaminated by the feces of infected humans or animals, as well as lakes, rivers, water reservoirs, and ground water contaminated by these surface waters. The parasite is highly resistant to chlorine, which is commonly used as a disinfectant in water treatment plants.

Transmission can occur by coming into contact with feces of infected humans or animals, including:

Consumption of contaminated water or food
Person-to-person contact, particularly in child care settings
Handling of infected pets or farm animals
Sexual activity that involves contact with feces
Symptoms appear 2 to 12 days after exposure to infected feces

While symptoms usually include diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, and nausea, some infected people may have no symptoms. People with normal immune systems usually have symptoms for one to two weeks and then recover fully. However, people with weakened immune systems, such as cancer patients, organ transplant recipients, and HIV-infected persons, may have more severe diarrhea that can persist long enough to become life-threatening.

There is no specific treatment for cryptosporidiosis

Replacing fluid lost through diarrhea may be needed. Healthy people normally recover within two weeks. Patients with severe or long-lasting diarrhea should consult their doctor.

Tests are available to look for Cryptosporidium in feces and in water

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires that certain large water companies routinely test water for Cryptosporidium.

Cryptosporidiosis can be prevented

Avoid drinking untreated water from lakes, streams, springs, or any other untreated sources.
Boil any water of unknown quality for at least one minute before consumption (including water used in drinks and to make ice).
Avoid any direct contact with human or animal feces.
Wash hands after using the toilet, changing diapers, and before handling food or eating.
Wash hands after contact with or cleaning up after pets.
Wash hands after gardening or other direct contact with the soil.
Wash fruits and vegetables before eating them.
Avoid unpasteurized milk products.
Avoid swallowing water during swimming, even in public swimming pools.
People with weakened immune systems may want to take extra action to reduce the risk:

Boil water, or use certain filters or bottled water for all the water you drink including tooth brushing.
Check with your doctor to see if you should take any other measures to avoid cryptosporidiosis if you have a weakened immune system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Maryellen on May 17th, 2006, 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 16th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Yay!!! Good for solid poop!! I was at Wendy's the other night & really wanted a frosty, but then I remembered the soft serve thing & lost my appetite.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » May 16th, 2006, 6:02 pm

LOL i am so sorry deb....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 16th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Tylan is great stuff! I used that on two of my crew for the nasty clostridium infection they picked up. If you got the powder, it tastes NASTY to the dogs -- I had to mix it in applesauce for them to take it.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » May 16th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Marinepits wrote:Tylan is great stuff! I used that on two of my crew for the nasty clostridium infection they picked up. If you got the powder, it tastes NASTY to the dogs -- I had to mix it in applesauce for them to take it.

I used it for diarrhea when the puppy was, well, a puppy (much younger, though)...she was so teeny (10 lbs at the time) that I just opened her mouth and poured it in...she was offended!!!

cheekymunkee wrote:I was at Wendy's the other night & really wanted a frosty, but then I remembered the soft serve thing & lost my appetite.

Umm...did you have to ruin it for the rest of us? :| Just kidding...but seriously...that really is gross....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 16th, 2006, 7:20 pm

he didnt care how it tasted he was so hungry.. i hope this is what was wrong, the rocks and this parasite...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2006, 7:48 pm

I am glad the vet is onto what's causing his problems!!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 16th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Oh wow, good to know, huh?? I'm glad you found something out!

Good luck---he's getting wicked cute!!
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 16th, 2006, 8:51 pm

I hope he is better soon!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 17th, 2006, 8:42 am

See, I am not the only one!

Soft Serve. Thanks.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » May 17th, 2006, 8:55 am

Maryellen could you pm me your vet info. Looking for referrals
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 17th, 2006, 9:36 am

How's he doing today?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 9:41 am

he is somewhat back to his normal self, he wants to play and run around, but he cant for the next 10 days... so he is on leash at all times or in his crate or his playpen....
he pooped 2 poops yesterday after eating some I/D, but hasnt pooped since... which i remember you said with the id food he might not poop just yet.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » May 18th, 2006, 10:21 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Yay!!! Good for solid poop!! I was at Wendy's the other night & really wanted a frosty, but then I remembered the soft serve thing & lost my appetite.

Yes, same here... I have no appetite for soft ice cream anymore! :(

Glad Arturo is doing better, he should start gaining soon now the rocks and parasites are gone.

Could Susie, Savagem's foster with the puppies also from GA have the same parasite???
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby a-bull » May 18th, 2006, 10:23 pm

gf turtle wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Yay!!! Good for solid poop!! I was at Wendy's the other night & really wanted a frosty, but then I remembered the soft serve thing & lost my appetite.

Yes, same here... I have no appetite for soft ice cream anymore! :(

Glad Arturo is doing better, he should start gaining soon now the rocks and parasites are gone.

Could Susie, Savagem's foster with the puppies also from GA have the same parasite???

"Id!" That's Science Diet, right?? I think that's the food I was trying to recommend Savagem purchase from the vet.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 18th, 2006, 10:24 pm

I hope this works for him. Good luck and keep us posted!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 19th, 2006, 7:06 am

yeah its that hillls science diet
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 19th, 2006, 7:32 am

Maryellen wrote:yeah its that hillls science diet

Yup, good stuff---works really well. It's nothing you'd want your dog to eat all the time, and I don't even think you should, (because I think it's lacking in certain things---it's strictly for belly problems)---but I've used it for a couple of bad cases of diarrhea on a pup and an adult and it worked great.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 19th, 2006, 8:09 am

its like paste... and very very dry.. it has rice, liver, chicken, and alot of other stuff.. it works great for arturo now, and he pooped last night a pretty good stool.. it wasnt rock solid, but it was close..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 19th, 2006, 8:50 am

Maryellen wrote:its like paste... and very very dry.. it has rice, liver, chicken, and alot of other stuff.. it works great for arturo now, and he pooped last night a pretty good stool.. it wasnt rock solid, but it was close..

yup, you should see a complete improvement in his stool . . . that stuff does work . . . (Science Diet also sells an allergy dogfood, but I did NOT have any success with that one) . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health