Shedding

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2006, 11:53 am

Riggs has a heavier coat because he was in a kennel for the winter. How long does it usually take for them to 'decide' to shed their heavier coat once they are indoors full time? Ruby's coat has never thickened up in the three years I have had her, so I have nothing to compare it to.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 9th, 2006, 11:58 am

it shouldnt take long.... i would say maybe a month?? you can start brushing him with brush, comb, and do it every days. but once his body feels the heat in the house it should start on its own..

how is he and ruby getting along? have they met yet?>
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Ruby and Riggs have met a number of times. I don't crate her or lock the cats up when I take him out of his crate. He is always on leash, but they all need to respect each other's space.

They sniff and keep going. I don't allow her to tease him or anything. He's usually so focused on his toy or going out that he doesn't pay much attention to her.

It will be a looooooooooooooooong time before they are allowed around each other off leash.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » May 17th, 2006, 9:46 am

I need shedding help. All of a sudden over the past few weeks Rocky has been shedding. He shakes and hair flys all over. THe worst is on the couch. He is not allowed on the couch but does need to jump up there to look out the window. And does often try to get away with it. Just a short time on the couch and you would be sure I have Cats. Im getting tired of vacuming the couch evey day. Is there a suplement or some kind of oil for the coat. When I brush him tons of hair comes off I also vacume him. When we first got him he was practically naked. Now he has a thick coat. Hmm I remember reading that dogs of bull breed dont really shed much.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 17th, 2006, 10:53 am

Shedding?? Lemme send you guys my two GSDs and my sheltie and then we'll talk about shedding. :P

j/k ;) I know shedding is a problem whether or not a dog has a double coat. I like the fluff a bit better than the spikey hair short haired dogs shed...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 10:57 am

i will take rocky, and send you jesse and sonny..... both long hairs..... both who are shedding like crazy due to the weather... you can also add some essential fatty acids to his food, like salmon oil, and i would just brush/comb him more...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 17th, 2006, 10:58 am

Baths also sorta help loosen the dead fur so it comes out easier. Be sure to bring them outside when they dry and brush the hell out of them. Get one of those curry comb type even and give that a go.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 17th, 2006, 11:50 am

Got a curry comb. Works for the moment takes tons of hair off. Ok I will stop complaining. Please dont send me your GSD. Where do you get salmon oil? pet shop? Do they shed entire summer or will it calm down soon?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 17th, 2006, 11:57 am

I had a 130 pound Newfoundland.

My Dal whippet mix, at 37 pounds, sheds worse. You would think the dog would be bald by now!

Bennie the newf would shed all at once, twice a year, and if you spend a few hours grooming him you could fill a garbage bag full of hair. But the rest of the year was fine.

Jack the mix sheds all year, all the time.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » May 17th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Oscar is shedding like crazy too.

We do the fish oil, also for his allergies.

The Curry comb is GREAT! You can even use it on the narrower parts of the legs, wich I find shed quite a bit.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 12:03 pm

usually spring and fall is shedding season.... mine shed bad these times, and sometimes during the year as well.. the salmon oil Rustys place should have..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 17th, 2006, 12:22 pm

I have an all rubber brush, it is awesome. I have a very boney, thin-skinned mix and he HATES hard brushes. But get this out and he stretches out, groaning, while you brush him.

It also works great getting the dog hair off the car seats!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 17th, 2006, 1:48 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:I have an all rubber brush, it is awesome. I have a very boney, thin-skinned mix and he HATES hard brushes. But get this out and he stretches out, groaning, while you brush him.

It also works great getting the dog hair off the car seats!

Jen, I don't know if you're talking about the "zoom groom" but both my girls love it (and it DOES take hair off furniture, etc). It has little cones on it, which also massage them...I feel like that works better than the shedding blade, so I use it on Sacha EVERY day (she's a lab...she sheds like mad)....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 17th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Sounds like the one!

I looked them up, and the zoom groom is fancier than mine, but basically works the same.

Good to know how to find them, as mine got chewed a little, and has worn down after so many years.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby turtle » May 18th, 2006, 10:37 pm

I use something called, believe it or not, a "love glove"!

It's like a glove with a rubber facing that has little rubber spikes on it and it really takes out the loose hair on a short haired dog. A rubber curry brush works well too.

I used to have GSD, wow did they shed! All year too. Same with my old border collie mix...

Now I just have little stiff pit bull hairs that sometimes get stuck in my feet. Ouch!

And for my sofa, I use an old bedspread for a cover that I can take outside and shake out, it keeps most of the dog hair off my sofa.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 19th, 2006, 8:40 am

Yeah, I found a couch cover (denim, brand new) at Salvation Army for 7 bucks. I can throw it in the wash when company comes. Fit perfect on my junk store $60 couch!! Now I need a cover for the matching chair!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health