RAW

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 8th, 2006, 10:34 pm

I am no expert on dog nutrition or RAW but I have been feeding my dogs a raw diet for almost a year now. I have had wonderful results with my allergy dog and the other two have never looked better. I can answer what ever questions you may have or at least point you in the right direction to the answers you seek. It's VERY easy to feed a raw diet and IME very inexpensive as well.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » January 8th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Debby-

If you do not mind I would love to pick your brain for any and all information you can provide regarding raw. I have been on other boards and have gotten some information and also have some books coming. I am curious how I can make it cost effective. What do you feed? Etc.... I have 2 large dogs besides my APBT who is now 39 lbs and the vet estimates he will be between 70-75 lbs.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 9th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Hi! I will be glad to answer your questions a little later tonight. I didn't want you to think I am ignoring you, I am at work so I only have time to do drive by posts right now.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby BullyVW » January 9th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Although I currenlty don't feed raw, I have been researching it and have my dogs to about 1/2 raw 1/2 Canidae.

Find a friend with a knife...it's key. Butchers toss a lot away...and your dog will love alot of that "junk." Lamb bones are great as most still have some meat on them...and the will be easy to chew for your pup. Look for sales on full chickens....and make sure to watch for ground beef sales too (amking sure you know that it's ALL beed in there).
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 9th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Just a quick note ( I am still at my second job) but NO LAMB!!!! Lamb gives them the WORST gas you have ever imagined!! I almost moved out of my house after feeding my 3 lamb. :puke:

I will write up a post for you a little later tonight

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby BullyVW » January 9th, 2006, 10:05 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Just a quick note ( I am still at my second job) but NO LAMB!!!! Lamb gives them the WORST gas you have ever imagined!! I almost moved out of my house after feeding my 3 lamb. :puke:

Hmm...Ralph does well with lamb and gets sick from pork. (ham shanks)
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 9th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Venison agrees best with Dreyfus. :rock:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 9th, 2006, 10:19 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Just a quick note ( I am still at my second job) but NO LAMB!!!! Lamb gives them the WORST gas you have ever imagined!! I almost moved out of my house after feeding my 3 lamb. :puke:

LOL Vicki and Pookie do fine w/lamb. But venison makes Vick's tail rank and when she eats bully sticks, we clear the HOUSE. Something I did that helped was to start giving her a digestive enzyme before she eats. It helps tremendously with gas. I have to remember to start giving her one before she eats her bully sticks.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 9th, 2006, 10:21 pm

Kinda like beano. That makes sense.

What is it exactly that you use?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby BullyVW » January 9th, 2006, 10:23 pm

concreterose wrote:

LOL Vicki and Pookie do fine w/lamb. But venison makes Vick's tail rank and when she eats bully sticks, we clear the HOUSE. Something I did that helped was to start giving her a digestive enzyme before she eats. It helps tremendously with gas. I have to remember to start giving her one before she eats her bully sticks.

What enzyme?
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 9th, 2006, 11:20 pm

None of my 3 can eat lamb without making want to burn the house to the ground. They do well on everything else though.

Ok, I look for bargains on meat. I never pay over 1.00 a pound and many times not any where near that. I find turkey legs for .69 a pound, pork neck for .69 a pound, chicken quarters for any where from .29 to .59 a pound. I buy liver ( chicken or beef) , heart, kidneys, pig feet, you name it, if it's cheap they get it. I find the best deals at ethnic grocers but if you have a butcher you may be able to work a deal with him for meaty bones & cuts that don't sell well.

I feed about 1 1/2 to 2% of their body weight. Munkee is 60 pounds & gets a pound or so. Justice is 55 but it very active so she gets 1 pound & a half. Ollie is a little one & gets around 1/2 pound. I feed straight meat, no veggies. They also get an egg every other day, a can of mackeral once a week, liver or kidney about once a week. Some people feed vegetables ( broccoli, carrots, green beans, what ever you want), just make sure to puree it since they cannot digest vegetables unless they have been frozen. Some people also supplement with kelp or Missing Link or something of that sort. I stopped doing that although I do give them garlic, apple cider vinegar & olive oil.

It's really easy & there is no work involved ( for me at least), I buy their food when I shop for mine & keep it in the freezer until it is ready to use. If I find a deal on ground meat or turkey I stock up & we share it. I find out of date meat on sale & buy all of it up & stick it the freezer. It won't hurt them if is starting to go bad.

I went from spending $40 a week to about $40 a month. Munkee's allergies are all but gone & my dogs coats sparkle. I will never go back to kibble.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » January 10th, 2006, 12:46 am

I went from spending $40 a week to about $40 a month. Munkee's allergies are all but gone & my dogs coats sparkle. I will never go back to kibble.[/quote]

Thank you so much for your time and information. I really appreciate it. You have made raw feeding beneficial for both your dogs and your pocket. Although of course the goal is to do what is best for our animals. Thank you again.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby AllAmericanPUP » January 10th, 2006, 1:00 am

I feed 2 of my dogs a raw diet..maggie and shadow
they both get about a pound a day but i think i'm going to start feeding maggie a lil more..she could stand to gain a couple pounds.

basically they get a chicken leg quarter a day, a raw egg every other day, canned mackarel or sardines a couple times a week, and chicken liver or beef liver a couple times a week.

i also get them turkey necks about every other week.
i stay away from the pork because i dont feel safe giving it to them...and beef is generally too expensive...so its usually chicken and turkey..

they've only been on it for about a month and i'm finally starting to see the benefits i think...shadow's coat looks a bit shinier but it's still pretty dry..going to have to have her thyroid checked out..

i do find raw to be more of a hassle to feed personally, always having to worry about where the raw meat goes and cleaning up after it...i started feeding them outside because they wouldnt keep the meat on the towel i put down......but i deal with it because i know it's healthier for them..especially with maggie having mange
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby luvmyangels » January 10th, 2006, 1:10 am

AllAmericanPUP wrote:i do find raw to be more of a hassle to feed personally, always having to worry about where the raw meat goes and cleaning up after it...i started feeding them outside because they wouldnt keep the meat on the towel i put down......but i deal with it because i know it's healthier for them..especially with maggie having mange

With two young children one of my concerns about feeding the raw was where they were going to eat which I had already decided the best place would be outside. I am just concerned about the cold weather. I have a garage attached to my house but it needs all the garbage cleaned out. We don't keep our cars in it anyway.

The whole idea of raw feeding came up since Knuckles was diagnosed with mange. So I am glad to hear Maggie is doing well since she has the same problem as Knuckles.

Thank you for your input.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 10th, 2006, 1:17 am

It takes a little time but you can teach them to eat on a mat or a rug. Just keep a close eye on them & when they start to wander make them go back to it to eat. They should get the message after a few tries. I don't have little kids so I don't mind if mine eat on the floor. Ollie eats in the bathroom. Justice in my daughter's bathroom & Munkee in the kithen. They stay close to their bowls to eat but they will take it their food out & put it on the floor. I keep Clorox wipes around & they make it pretty easy to clean up whatever mess they make. I know of a guy who feeds his dogs in the bath tub. That grosses me out. :shock:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » January 10th, 2006, 8:34 am

Can you guys list some reference sites? 8)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 10th, 2006, 8:54 am

Romanwild wrote:Kinda like beano. That makes sense.

What is it exactly that you use?

Solgar Digestive Aid
One of the most important things about feeding raw is that it takes more diligence to make sure the dogs diet is balanced. This means feeding a wide variety of protein sources (feeding chicken long term is not a balanced diet), and organ meat, which is crucial. I personally find raw a bit more complex than feeding kibble because I supplement (a dog with cancer and two w/bad allergies so I have to be diligent about supporting their immune systems). I have found (for me) it's a bit more expensive than feeding kibble because I try to find chemical free meats and the supplements can be kinda pricey, though I only have to buy supps. once every month or two. It's worth it to me though, and I know my dogs (and cats) are getting the best nutrition that I am able to give them.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmyangels » January 10th, 2006, 9:46 am

In my travels of gaining raw knowledge I have found some sites. Please let me know if you think these are acceptable.

http://www.rawlearning.com/

http://www.rawdogranch.com/rawdiet.htm

http://www.rawfeddogs.net
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 10th, 2006, 9:50 am

cheekymunkee wrote:It takes a little time but you can teach them to eat on a mat or a rug. Just keep a close eye on them & when they start to wander make them go back to it to eat. They should get the message after a few tries. I don't have little kids so I don't mind if mine eat on the floor. Ollie eats in the bathroom. Justice in my daughter's bathroom & Munkee in the kithen. They stay close to their bowls to eat but they will take it their food out & put it on the floor. I keep Clorox wipes around & they make it pretty easy to clean up whatever mess they make. I know of a guy who feeds his dogs in the bath tub. That grosses me out. :shock:

Thank you for sharing how you go about feeding your dogs. I like your ideas of separation of the three of them. I am just neurotic when it comes to bacteria and dirt. My daughter is only 20 months.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 10th, 2006, 9:55 am

Chicken - I am concerned about the chicken bones and I know in reading when they are not cooked they are fine. But of course I am doing too much research and when I come to sites that show x-rays of bones stuck in dogs throats because of raw feeding it makes me nervous. I am sure this is just a way of detering me from doing what is best for my dog. But please tell me if anyone has had a problem with a chicken bone or any other type of bone getting stuck in their dogs throat. Thank you.

From Ms. Neurotic
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health