Hypothetical question

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 24th, 2012, 8:54 am

If it were possible to breed out dog aggression in this breed while having EVERYTHING else - looks and temperament - remain the same (probably not possible, hence the hypothetical), and I mean EVERYTHING, would you support that? Why or why not?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby furever_pit » December 25th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I think that if breeding out dog aggression becomes one of your top priorities, then something else will inevitably fall from that list.

There are breeders associated with several of the bull breeds that have started to refuse to breed anything that is not a dog social dog. I see the most people with this attitude involved with "trendy" breeds - like the OEB where the only other major consideration is color - so the priorities of health and working ability have already been replaced (and kicked to the curb).

I know that doesn't really answer your proposed hypothetical.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » December 25th, 2012, 4:08 pm

If this is TRULY Hypthetical, and TRULY Won't affect anything other characteristic, then I can't think of any reason I would want Dar to have _any_ Aggression.

I've read )and kinda understand( the reasons aggression can't/shouldn't be bred out, but I don't think this is what you're talking about....You're asking If IT COULD MAGICALLY be bred out, would I want it left out?

My Answer is Yes................it's a major stressor for me, having a dog that really hates other dogs, and is "iffy" about certain people.
I would never trade Dar for anything, (((we all know how much I love him)), but I would really like to have a relatively "normal" dog...... :cry: ........one I could walk, one where I didn't have to kennel when people come over....one that doesn't go ballistic at the SIGHT of another dog.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Tubular Toby » December 25th, 2012, 7:31 pm

I would never trade Dar for anything, (((we all know how much I love him)), but I would really like to have a relatively "normal" dog...... :cry: ........one I could walk, one where I didn't have to kennel when people come over....one that doesn't go ballistic at the SIGHT of another dog.

Replace Dar with Toby and I couldn't agree more.

If it could magically be taken out with affecting anything else, then yes.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 25th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Tubular Toby wrote:If it could magically be taken out with affecting anything else, then yes.

Sure, but it can't be. And I don't even like to think abou it or discuss it because it's just part of the breed.

I tried VERY hard to get this across on a list that I'm on. Dog aggression isn't good or bad, it just is. It's annoying, it's a pain in the ass, but it's just a part of the breed that you take with the rest of all the things that you do like.

:|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tubular Toby » December 26th, 2012, 2:36 pm

I was just telling Allen last night that Toby does *everything* with such drive and gusto. I've met very few dogs that are so incredibly driven and excited to do what is asked of them- they're usually pit bulls. Haha, I know there are a lot of breeds that live to please, but all of my pit bull experiences take it to a whole different level.

Allen said, "Is there a dog that lives with such gusto, as you call it, that doesn't have a negative stereotype?"

I don't know. I'm incredibly biased, but there just is something about a pit bull.
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 26th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Tubular Toby wrote:I was just telling Allen last night that Toby does *everything* with such drive and gusto. I've met very few dogs that are so incredibly driven and excited to do what is asked of them- they're usually pit bulls. Haha, I know there are a lot of breeds that live to please, but all of my pit bull experiences take it to a whole different level.

Allen said, "Is there a dog that lives with such gusto, as you call it, that doesn't have a negative stereotype?"

I don't know. I'm incredibly biased, but there just is something about a pit bull.

off the top of my head...border collies, Aussies, huskies, most small terriers (JRTs, Borders, Patterdales)...

:)

I don't care for the idea that dogs do stuff to please us...they get things in return, those selfish creatures. But the dogs I love are full of GO and WIN and have the drive to TRY anything I'm asking of them.

I have a lot of breeds...and it's really down to the individual to me...but working breeds/dogs tend to DRIVEN to the nth degree. I don't like dachshunds, but I love mine because I chose them because they're full of crazy go-go-go.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Tubular Toby » December 26th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Haha as soon as I posted that and headed to work I realized that I phrased it horribly. You're right, he is doing it for his own good. But I admire that he simply does not give up. And he gives everything his all. Allen and.I were joking about the breed thing. Until I am older and settled I wont get another pit bull. If anything happened to Toby, I would definitely be looking at other breeds. I'm not a total pit bull snob like I sounded. ;)
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » December 26th, 2012, 11:10 pm

I think its the way they communicate, so no. Every breed has aggression, some individuals just take it too far and moreso it seems in some breeds.

I don't really care about dog to dog or dog to animal issues, but it would be nice to have a dog that I can call off, but thats more an individual and training issue, I think.

Helpful? :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » December 29th, 2012, 9:10 am

If I could take the DA/DR out of my dogs without losing anything else would I do it? ABSOLUTELY!!

Unfortunately not possible.

I'm housesitting right now for a family who has an intact male Lab. He is super social and even on the submissive side with other dogs. Man . . . if I could have this with my two then they could actually be here with me and I wouldn't have to divide my time between two houses!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Pit Bull Talk