how does everyone feel about jumping?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Malli » December 26th, 2012, 10:59 pm

My manager refuses to correct his dogs for jumping. He wants to do positive, but truthfully doesn't really try that hard, he doesn't really care.
His dogs jump on me, he reacts when I correct them, and tells me to use positive, but I'm not around them enough for repititions to make a difference. They are all pit bull types(4) and they also jump on whoever they meet, or he'll manage them via leash.

There are 2 behaviors in dogs that irritate the ever-loving crap out of me; chronic jumping and attention or demand barking and whining.

Am I a _ _ _ _ _ or what?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 27th, 2012, 12:34 am

I hate jumping from other people's dogs...especially when they're told repeatedly..."get down get down get down". But I hate it from my dogs too...I'm an equal opportunity hater of this.

Odd has a bad habit of jumping on people...but we're working hard to fix that. Puzzle will do it when she's super excited, but calms down and will stop if told (usually). Our problem dog is Dozer (Michelle's deaf boxer mix)...he's HUGE, deaf and doesn't give a crap. So he'll just leap onto people repeatedly, to the point where they have to hold onto something to keep from falling over. I hate it...and he can't say hi to anyone unless he's leashed. He lived in a condo before, so he was always leashed for greetings...but since he has zero manners and doesn't know sign language, it's just easier to keep him away when people come over...which is sad, since he LOVES people. Michelle excuses it and says...that he just loves people so much. I'm all, right...but he can greet politely. Many dogs love people but can learn to say hi politely
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 27th, 2012, 9:04 am

I hate jumping, but Inara can be really bad with some people. So she's kept leashed and put away until she's calm and then she's permitted to greet. I can't find people who are willing to follow my instructions so I can try to train it out of her positively. The few people who do follow my directions don't get jumped on. But then a few people are of the, "it's okay, I don't mind!" mentality which REALLY pisses me off.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » December 27th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Trillian has always been REALLY good about keeping 4 on the floor. Without a lot of work from me! But we went to a flyball tourney a month ago, and everyone was loving on her...and letting her squirm up to their faces...ugh...now we have to work at this behavior!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » December 27th, 2012, 10:40 pm

I hate jumping, but we don't have enough guests to our house to train for it in context, and I'm too lazy to invite people over specifically for training. My mother is moving in with us (well, in a smaller house on the same property) and she has mobility issues, so I'll have to get this under control. The new guy is a big time jumper, but he has a great "sit," so we try to ask for that before he gets fully in the air.

However, out in public, my girls know to stop and sit in heel, and give me eyes before being released for low-key greetings. High energy greetings lead to peeing for Miss Luna.

At the house, it's a free for all.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » December 29th, 2012, 9:19 am

Jumping doesn't really bother me. It only bothers me when the dogs are the ones who jump and then claw you. Blue, though often invited up to jump (especially by men), will only jump on me. Teeny is a "high flyer" and loves to jump, but is typically good about not jumping on guests (unless she thinks they're assholes . . . I love her paws-up-in-your-face guard!). Neither will claw you while jumping. And really they only do it when invited (and again, for Blue he won't even always do it when invited for me), or when I first get home. I love the exuberant greeting :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » December 29th, 2012, 11:59 am

SisMorphine wrote:Jumping doesn't really bother me. It only bothers me when the dogs are the ones who jump and then claw you. Blue, though often invited up to jump (especially by men), will only jump on me. Teeny is a "high flyer" and loves to jump, but is typically good about not jumping on guests (unless she thinks they're assholes . . . I love her paws-up-in-your-face guard!). Neither will claw you while jumping. And really they only do it when invited (and again, for Blue he won't even always do it when invited for me), or when I first get home. I love the exuberant greeting :)

but do they stop if you ask them to? That's my problem...uncontrolled behaviors of any sort...Odd likes to be up on me...but will stop if told...immediately. I can handle some lovin'...but if I'm wearing nice clothes and tell them to get OFF, I want it to happen!

TheRedQueen

Postby DemoDick » January 7th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Honestly, there are few things that irritate me more than jumping, especially from a low-key pet type dog (Connor jumps if I let him, but he's a tornado, and beings his own set of challenges). If someone allows their dog to jump on me I let it slide once and ask the owner to control their dog. The second time the dog gets a hard knee right in the sternum, with no apology. I am not your dog's jungle gym. It sounds like your manager isn't respecting your boundaries. If he wants you to avoid correcting the dog but allows the dog to continue to jumping on you by failing to control his animal, he's just being an inconsiderate asshole.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby call2arms » January 8th, 2013, 4:04 pm

My friend's Boston has clawed me and broken skin (I have a scar on my goddamn thigh) and he gets told off and shaken off my leg (he's too low for a knee-chest encounter)...

"But he loves you!" Is all my friend has to say. Grrr.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DemoDick » January 8th, 2013, 8:54 pm

call2arms wrote:My friend's Boston has clawed me and broken skin (I have a scar on my goddamn thigh) and he gets told off and shaken off my leg (he's too low for a knee-chest encounter)...

"But he loves you!" Is all my friend has to say. Grrr.

Catch him mid-jump and punt him like a football at his owner.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby call2arms » January 8th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Sounds like a plan.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » January 8th, 2013, 10:46 pm

DemoDick wrote:Honestly, there are few things that irritate me more than jumping, especially from a low-key pet type dog (Connor jumps if I let him, but he's a tornado, and beings his own set of challenges). If someone allows their dog to jump on me I let it slide once and ask the owner to control their dog. The second time the dog gets a hard knee right in the sternum, with no apology. I am not your dog's jungle gym. It sounds like your manager isn't respecting your boundaries. If he wants you to avoid correcting the dog but allows the dog to continue to jumping on you by failing to control his animal, he's just being an inconsiderate asshole.

Demo Dick

Thats kind of what I think.
He basically told me to do something about it, which I basically thought "not my problem, not my dogs"
to me its like having a kid that interrupts or rudely vies for attention. Its not even training, its more basic then that, its just manners.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior