Black Poop

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » May 18th, 2006, 6:25 pm

now we have black poop. the vet said its normal.. at least its somewhat solid....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 18th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Maryellen wrote:now we have black poop. the vet said its normal.. at least its somewhat solid....

To me black poop = blood. Is it because he's passing stuff from the surgery, or is it black for another reason?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby satanscheerleader » May 18th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Where's the worm girl? Doesn't one kind of parasite cause "tarry" poops. Whip worms or something? Sometimes, certain foods the dogs are on will cause their poops to be almost black. :|
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby a-bull » May 18th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Maryellen wrote:now we have black poop. the vet said its normal.. at least its somewhat solid....

lordy . . . you'll be a poopologist by the time you're done with this---you poor girl . . . :(
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 18th, 2006, 7:46 pm

lordy . . . you'll be a poopologist by the time you're done with this---you poor girl . . . :(
LOL poor Maryellen
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » May 18th, 2006, 8:00 pm

most likely it is do to the special diet he is on (isn't he?) and the surgery, like someone else said, could be digested blood or intestinal slughing, I think?
basically, as far as blood from the rectum goes
bloody or normal blood red color =trauma close to the rectum or near the end of the intestines
pinkish color= usually trauma farther up
black or dark red = digested blood
thats how I understand it anyway.
If the Doc said its ok then it should be fine :) Don't stress.
I know its hard with a dog that seems to have everything go wrong with him (Oscar is like this, in his lifetime, 2 abcesses, 1 bout with severe dehydration without known cause, and chronic skin infections since his first birthday) not to suspect everything different ;) I have a lot of trouble myself, my bf thinks I'm "a hypochodriac" about him, and I've had one staff member at work suggest the same.

hang in there, if he's acting himself, eating and drinking, he's in no immediate danger.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Maryellen » May 18th, 2006, 8:54 pm

the vet said its normal after surgery, as he had to open his intestines to get one rock out. he is on the I/D and i am now mixing in canidae as the vet said its ok to start adding regular food starting today. his poop just now was black and brown....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » May 18th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Yes, I think it's pretty normal after all he's been thru...

LOL, now you've got colorful poop! :o
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health