Jumping like an idiot :)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 24th, 2006, 10:21 am

Hi, everyone :)

I have to go outside in the morning to watch my daughter walk a little ways up the street to wait for her bus. I have taken Haven with me outside a few times to wait with her, but now that it is so cold out, he goes pee and then he's right back in :) He shivers and shakes if he is outside for more than only a few minutes, so I don't take him out with me every morning. The problem is, is that when he stays inside he is jumping on the window sills and up on the door and is ruining them. He is such a fat ass he is scratching them all up!

Is there any way that I can teach him to stay down off things while I am outside and he is not? He will also do this if they kids go outside to play and he stays inside with me. He constantly whines and jumps onto anything he can to see where they are. Am I just wishful thinking I can train this out of him, and he should just be in his crate when I am not inside with him or the kids are outside? It isn't bad now because it is so cold, so they kids don't go out much at all. But, when it's nicer soon, I don't know what to do. Especially, if the windows are open with the screens in them!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Romanwild » January 24th, 2006, 10:36 am

If you are inside when he does it it's easier. Use a boinker or squirt bottle. Say No and wait a couple of seconds then administer the negative marker.

If your outsidse the only thing would be a RTC (remote training collar / e collar).

A short term remedy that I used was to crate them when I had to work outside. They're safe and you don't have to worry.

When you have a pit bull or 2 or a pit bull and any other animal you should seperate them for safeties sake. You don't want to come back to a accident. :shock:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2006, 11:26 am

A penny can chucked out the window. Or anything that will make A LOT of noise, thrown at the second he starts up. This way he will not associate it with you (make sure you're not seen), and will just think that jumping up is scary as hell!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 11:44 am

you can also take him out on leash with the kids, and do obedience training with him. like sit, down, come, stay.. and maybe get him a coat to wear for the colder days.. this way, you can practice his behavior outside, which will get his mind working.. or you can crate him in the house.. i would opt for working him with the kids around outside.. this way he learns how to behave when outside and you can teach him to not jump...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 24th, 2006, 12:38 pm

I always want to take him out with me, but I was afraid that if I did, this would happen :) Like spoiling a baby? I'm comparing this to an almost seperation anxiety thing. He will always be crated when I am not home. The only time he is in the house alone is when he is at the door or in the window while I'm outside in the morning. I guess I'm just going to have to crate him when he can't come with me.

I thought that it was so cute when he would get all upset that he couldn't go out back with the kids, but now I need to break him of that. I can train him to eventually learn not to jump on doors or windows, but I don't know if I can get him to understand that he and I can't go outside with them all the time. Don't get me wrong, I am outside most of the time with them but in the summer it's nice that I can throw a load of laundry in while they are playing or finish the dishes.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 12:53 pm

when you put him in his crate work him up to the actual event before doing it.. like put him in his crate while you do dishes.. praise for him being quiet.. ignore barking, trying to escape, etc.. then, one morning on a saturday, put him in his crate and walk outside for a few moments..repeat and make time longer outside.... you can break him of it, it will just take some time... you can also take him outside say every 2 times.. then crate every 2 times.. always vary the situation..

how old is he?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 24th, 2006, 1:50 pm

He is said to be about 11 months old now. I will try your suggestions. Thanks for the help, guys!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Return to Training & Behavior