Vacuum Care

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Tubular Toby » March 11th, 2012, 11:39 am

My vacuum reeks of stale dog when I turn it on. It's a bagless Eureka and I empty that everytime I vacuum. I change my hepa filter about every 3 months (instead of the suggested 6) and clean the foam filters as needed. Tomorrow I'm going to take it apart and clean everything with soapy water and spray what I can't take out with canned air (outside!) The smell has gotten unbearable now.

I considered a new vacuum, but I figured I'd end up with the same problems. Does anyone have any ideas for vacuum maintenance?
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » March 11th, 2012, 2:33 pm

its my understanding that most vacuums can at least be wiped out and most parts of my vacuum that I'd think would accumulate smell can be washed (including some of the filter)
If you are unsure if you can wash and worried about wrecking something, you could try spraying with pure vinager to see if that helps.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » March 11th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Wash every thing well as planned. Depeding upon your make and model, Febreeze makes a scented filter that's pretty good. We use it and just change it every month or so. We've got a Bissell but I know when I buy the filters I've seen ones for Eureka as well.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » March 11th, 2012, 6:23 pm

I never thought of vinegar too! I do wash my foam filters whenever they need it (usually once a week or so). I plan on doing a serious dismantling of my vacuum tomorrow, haha, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I can't wait, in June I move into a different house with more hardwood floors. Only carpet in a few rooms. :woowoo:

Also- I've never tried the febreze ones, they don't have them at my regular store for my vacuum. I'm going to the new wal mart and hopefully they will have them! If not, I'll just order some online and give them a try. Thanks!
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 11th, 2012, 9:39 pm

When the Dyson got stinky, I put a drier sheet in it. It helped a LOT.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tubular Toby » March 12th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Did a thorough cleaning job inside with a towel and q tips. Washed my foam filters with soap and replaced the HEPA filter again. Before I put my filters back in, I took outside and turned it on to blow all of the dust out of it in the chambers that I couldn't get it. So far, so good! I washed the hose and all the parts that come off in soapy water and hung them up to dry over night. It still smells a little, but I'm okay with that, as long as it doesn't smell like it did before. It almost wasn't worth even vacuuming before. When I find my dryer sheets, I'm going to do that as extra insurance. But it already seems to be leaking less dirt and running more efficiently as well. I wonder if the airway in the back wasn't tight enough or didn't have a good seal, as my entire vacuum was filled with dirt in places it shouldn't have been.

Hopefully it's going to work better now!
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk