Jazzy- a shot in the dark....

Postby Ino » November 30th, 2011, 7:22 am

We have a pit bull at the shelter that is super sweet but is in a bad crunch. She came in as a stray because she was left in our overnight gatebox, but the owner did fill out some info- her name and reason for giving her up (just did not sign her and her sister who just got rescued over- so they had to stay as a stray). She was given up because "I can't afford to fix her and she keeps having babies". We do have a program for low cost spay/neuter for pit bulls/mixes but they did not care to call and ask. She has been at the shelter a while now and is in quarentine and is rescue only. The reason is for a bite on a human (it was considered provoked). The reason the shelter is trying to get her rescued is that the bite was a total freak accident. The vet techs hand got tangled in Jazzy's slip lead when they went to take her out for her rabies shot (so tangled the vet techs finger was dislocated). Jazzy freaked out when the leash started choking her out and bit the vet tech. The vet tech and the vet who witnessed it asked that we try to get her rescued and not put her down. So far, all the rescues the rescue coordinator contacted have not responded for Jazzy and she has been at the shelter for quite a while. We do not get good responses with pit bulls in general, but especially one with a bite history. The shelter does require specific paperwork to pull as a rescue. I know they need the 501c3 paperwork, the mission statement and vet reference. The shelter is in central FL on the east coast. Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone may be able to pull her. I can send pics to an email address or text them to a cell phone- I just don't want to post them on here because she is not available for adoption. She is listed as unavailable in our system so she is not up on our website. If anyone is interested I will pm you the contact info for the shelter as well. Just thought I'd try a shot in the dark for her. She deserves it.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 30th, 2011, 8:50 am

Wish I could help, but I have two pit bull fosters right now and a mixed breed foster...(yeah, three fosters I'm feeding)...along with seven of my own dogs. I just can't do it right now, and our rescue is overwhelemed after losing some foster homes.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Ino » November 30th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Thanks for reading about her, Erin. I totally understand. The rescues here have the same dillema. They are full and placement of the dogs they have has not been too easy. Even rescues that take any breed- easy to adopt breeds (labs, puppies, ets) are not pulling as much because placement right now is pretty slow. Pit bulls/mixes are especially hard to place right now so most rescues are not pulling them at all. Add her bite history (it sticks if the dog stays in the county- not sure but I think the state as a whole as we had 2 dogs that were declared dangerous and they had to be rescued out of state). She was not declared, but she still has a recorded bite. I just figured it is worth reaching out because we have had not much luck with our pits. I wish we could get half of the attention for other dogs that we got for one that was pulled from us a little over a month ago. He ended up being flown to AZ to a rescue, but it sucks putting happy dogs down while people are demanding more time for a dog like him that hated being near humans. What sucks is we had Jazzy out in the play yard for adoption pics and she had such a blast then when she went back to her kennel, they went to give her the shot and the leash thing happened. Totally a crappy situation all around. I really admire the vet and vet tech for not blaming the dog. A lot of people would have, but they openly stated it was not her fault, it was just a freak accident. I know the vet tech is really pushing to try to have the dog rescued. She feels bad it happened.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » December 2nd, 2011, 8:46 pm

Try contacting this crew: http://americanbulldogrescue.org/

I worked with them a bit with transportation and fostering when I lived in FL. I know it says they are an AB rescue, but they will and do work with other breeds.

Good luck to Jazzy.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » December 3rd, 2011, 10:50 am

We had worked with them a few months back. We had 2 AB's that we were trying to get out. They crossposted for us but could not pull them because their foster homes were full. I can try, but not sure if they will pull a dog with a bite. I don't know how much longer the shelter can give her- but I am trying for her. The hard part is it has to be a rescue that pulls her and most of the local ones fill up quick and tend to not pull many pits because of the difficulty of placement. I will shoot them an email.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » December 3rd, 2011, 12:22 pm

Crap. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I work with a guy who owns/heads a rescue based in NC. He has and will pull dogs with bite histories. I will call him today and let him know the situation. If you can send me the phone number for the place that has jazzy now that would be great. If he can take her, well figure out transportation.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » December 4th, 2011, 11:36 am

http://www.petharbor.com/detail.asp?ID= ... e=type_DOG

Here is the link to Jazzy. I don't know if it is a mistake that she is back to available or if it is so she can be sent out to rescues, but that is the shelters info on her page. It is brevard county north animal care center in titusville, fl. Our phone number is (321)264-5119. I am off today, so don't know if she will stay up there as available or not. If he needs more info, he can call them or you can ask me here. She really is a sweet dog and thank you for trying to help. I really do want her to get out.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Ino » December 4th, 2011, 12:04 pm

By available- I mean she is now showing up on petharbor again. She was not showing up before because she was set to unavailable. They may have changed it so rescues can see her pic. Not sure why it is changed, but glad the link is there so you can see her pic and animal ID.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Ino » December 6th, 2011, 6:13 am

One of our volunteers had a chance to come up and take pics of Jazzy and posted the pics on a facebook page she runs for us. She also put the story surrounding the circumstances of the bite which is the reason why Jazzy is set to available now. The link to Jazzy's pictures is http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =3&theater
If there are any rescues that anyone knows of that may be able to pull her, please let me know their contact info or have them contact the shelter. She really does deserve a better life. She was initially turned in because "we can't afford to fix her and she keeps having babies". :mad2: We have a low/no cost spay neuter in the county for pit and pit mixes, if they would have called instead of dumping their 2 dogs, we could have given them the number to get them fixed. Some people!!! :rolleyes2:
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » December 6th, 2011, 8:08 am

I talked to the guy I know and he said that his rescue can't pull dogs from out of state. Sorry. :(
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Rescue