What defines a Non reputable rescue?

A non reputable rescue is defined by a rescue who:

1. adopts out dogs intact
2. adopts out dogs without doing necessary checks
3. adopts out dogs to college students or renters
4. does not vaccinate the dogs in the rescue
5. does not allow people to know where they live
6. does not allow potential adopters in their homes
7. does not temperment test the dogs that are brought into the program.
8. adopts out puppies of questionable temperment when the mother dog has aggression issues with humans.
9. is constantly adopting out puppies, and the adults are just being cross posted on the website.
10. only takes in dogs that have puppies, and pushes the puppies instead of adult dogs (adults are harder to adopt out., puppies go quick)
11. has no problem adopting out human aggressive dogs of any breed
12. does not screen its own foster/volunteer staff.
13. adopts same sex dogs to same sex households ie male/male and female/female
14. does not vaccine the dogs until the latest time possible, which can cause the dogs if interacting together to pass disease on..
15. does not take the consideration to place puppies with adult dogs that dont like puppies or other dogs and puts the dogs life in danger.
16. Takes monies that were donated to the rescue and pockets them for themselves.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 17th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Adopts SICK puppies.
Keeps animals in crates stacked on top of each other.
Has too many animals to properly care, exercise & interact with.
Has mainly PUPPIES in their resuce ( not really a rescue is it? more like a puppy farm)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby savagem » May 17th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Treats fosters with disrespect and doesn't provide proper support.
Does not fully vaccinate puppies before having them neutered/spayed, thereby exposing them to dangerous diseases such as Parvo, Distemper, etc.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Allows foster homes to foot the vet bills for any necessary items or emergencies, and does not reimburse fosters for medical issues.

Has puppy parties to promote the puppies that are in the rescue at secret locations by invitation only.

Transports dogs/puppies over state lines without proper legal veterinary proof of health..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 17th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Allows fosters to have mulitple litters ( meaning many, MANY puppies) in their care. ( who in their RIGHT mind would WANT to anyway :| )

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby savagem » May 17th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Has such a terrible relationship with its foster homes and treats them with such utter disregard for their feelings and such disrespect that dogs and puppies are constantly being shuffled from one home to another. Or, takes in too many dogs and is therefore forced to place some with fosters who are ill-equipped to handle them. Case in point being my Susie and her litter. These poor guys traveled from Georgia to Buffalo, only to spend about a day and a half in Buffalo and then get moved again. The foster home should NEVER have been given these dogs. Her personal life was unstable at the time, and she was not equipped to handle these dogs.
So, I was asked to take Susie and pups in, even though I have NO experience with young puppies. And I was given ZERO info on how to care for them ahead of time.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 17th, 2006, 4:22 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Allows fosters to have mulitple litters ( meaning many, MANY puppies) in their care. ( who in their RIGHT mind would WANT to anyway :| )

No one in their RIGHT mind. :wink:
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 4:23 pm

A non reputable rescue is someone who returns foster dogs they are fostering to the shelters they were pulled from because ACO is coming to their house as they got an inside tip....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 17th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Maryellen wrote:A non reputable rescue is someone who returns foster dogs they are fostering to the shelters they were pulled from because ACO is coming to their house as they got an inside tip....

:o

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby savagem » May 17th, 2006, 4:26 pm

:shock: Oh no!
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 4:26 pm

has susie been checked for worms and other parasites? has she been vaccinated?? if she has the runs, i would get her to the vet, as she could have A. a blockage B. a parasite.. and you dont want a parasite to transmit to the pups either. the pups will have to be wormed as well...

how much food is she getting per day?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 4:27 pm

ps- wellness sometimes gives dogs the runs....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 17th, 2006, 4:27 pm

savagem wrote:Has such a terrible relationship with its foster homes and treats them with such utter disregard for their feelings and such disrespect that dogs and puppies are constantly being shuffled from one home to another. Or, takes in too many dogs and is therefore forced to place some with fosters who are ill-equipped to handle them. Case in point being my Susie and her litter. These poor guys traveled from Georgia to Buffalo, only to spend about a day and a half in Buffalo and then get moved again. The foster home should NEVER have been given these dogs. Her personal life was unstable at the time, and she was not equipped to handle these dogs. Here are some pics of Susie and some of her babies. Image

So, I was asked to take Susie and pups in, even though I have NO experience with young puppies. And I was given ZERO info on how to care for them ahead of time. Susie was loaded with hookworms and roundworms. She has been wormed once, and will be wormed again in another week or so. She is on Wellness Puppy kibble. She has watery diarrhea, and I'm not sure what to do to get rid of it. A raw diet was suggested, but I don't know if another change in diet is the best choice right now? Poor Susie is gonna be hard-pressed to put on weight when the food goes through her so quickly her body doesn't have time to absorb the nutrients. :( Also, her pups are around 5 weeks now, and eat both soaked kibble and canned Wellness puppy without a problem. I'm wondering if they should be weaned, as nursing can't be helping Susie either. Susie is actually going back to my vet on Friday, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice until then?

You should start a new thread in the Health Section concerning her problems. I am sure someone will be able to help you. We have MANY knowledable members.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on May 17th, 2006, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 4:30 pm

duh, silly me.,yeah post a new thread in health for susie and the pups for health help..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby savagem » May 17th, 2006, 4:31 pm

I will, thank you. Maryellen--she has been checked, and has been vaccinated. She had a horrible case of hooks and a case of roundworms too. She was wormed with Panacur for three days about 1 1/2 weeks ago. She will be wormed again in another week and a half. It is driving me crazy having to follow her around with a bottle of bleach/water. I can't get her poop up from the lawn because it is so liquidy, so I've been bleaching the residue. I hope this'll help kill the worms/eggs that might be still there?
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 4:32 pm

i started a new thread in health for you savagem..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby savagem » May 17th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Oh, I just started one too. :)
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby KaylasMomJenn » May 17th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Oh Mel-
I feel for you, but honestly, I'm not sure that I was ill-equipped, just that with the cops coming that night and me needing to move within the week to a place where I couldnt have dogs.

I was up with Susie from 5am Monday morning because she wouldn't nurse them, and I tried calling him at 7:30-he called back around 9, and yelled at me for not making her nurse. (I tried everything in my power to get her to lay in with them and she would NOT) I ran out and bought formula because everytime I squeezed her nipples nothing would come out. I was hand feeding the pups every 2-3 hours and would lay with Susie so she would nurse. The puppies looked really healthy (but wormy) and mom was so sick it made me sad for her.

I am sorry you have all the puppies now, I miss them so much. I wish I could have watched them grow into little gentlemen (and a lady!). How is Susie doing? She was extremely dog aggressive at my house, but LOVED me to death.
KaylasMomJenn
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LindsaySF » May 17th, 2006, 5:15 pm

It's not your fault Jenn. We know you did all you could, but sometimes life issues get in the way.

But the rescue in question here KNEW of your home situation, and still let you foster the pups, AND an adult dog, and apparently provided little guidance and support....

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby savagem » May 17th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Yes, Jenn. I didn't mean ill-equipped in terms of knowledge or ability to handle things. In fact, knowledge-wise I think you were better-equipped than I am, to tell the truth. What I meant was that your home life was shaky at the time, and the jerk in question knew this and loaded you up with Susie and pups anyway. Pups are doing great. I just posted a thread on Susie in the nutrition and health section. She's not really putting on weight, but she is nursing her babies and is not really very dog-aggressive here so far.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Rescue