Still have a stray pit bull...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 20th, 2011, 5:29 pm

I put out signs today in the neighborhood where I picked her up...

Checked with all of the shelters and vets in the area (and left fliers in the vet offices)...

Had her scanned for microchip (no chip)...

Took her to the pet store in my town...they're going to send out a FOUND DOG email with her photo.

What else? What am I missing?

Someone has been feeding this girl...she's fat as a house, and has a pretty (but dirty) buckle collar. Someone is missing her. She's people friendly, and is polite to the dogs riding with her in the van (through the crates).
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » September 20th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Put signs and a photo near schools in case a kid recognizes the dog. Also, near the Post Office, as mail carriers here drive house to house.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 20th, 2011, 6:41 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Put signs and a photo near schools in case a kid recognizes the dog. Also, near the Post Office, as mail carriers here drive house to house.

Ah...good ideas, thanks Joyce!

I'm working on getting photos of her...I can't find my camera charger. The pet store took pics and is supposed to email them to me tonight.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » September 20th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Oh, and get rid of that sign on your van that says; "Lost dogs...Check in here!!"
:)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 20th, 2011, 9:45 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Oh, and get rid of that sign on your van that says; "Lost dogs...Check in here!!"
:)

Yeah...I need to stop my urge to chase down stray dogs in the area. But when the neighborhood is in an uproar because of the "loose pit bull!!!!!", I seemed to be the only clear-headed one. This is NOT my neighborhood...this is a more urban area closer to Baltimore...the neighbor were freaking out.

TheRedQueen

Postby SisMorphine » September 21st, 2011, 12:18 am

Call local radio stations and/or tv stations as well. Though many won't bother, some will do a lost dog announcement. Keep your eyes peeled on CL for the area as well. Maybe the owner isn't from the area but got into a car accident while driving through. I've heard far too many of those cases . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » September 21st, 2011, 8:30 am

We got two phone calls this morning.

One from a young girl..."the dogcatcher has your dog, she was supposed to come back yesterday, but she didn't. But the dogcatcher has your dog."

Um. yeah.

Second...from an uneducated sounding woman that was hard to understand...but it sounded like..."I can't keep her".

Super.

John will be making return phone calls later to follow up.

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » September 22nd, 2011, 9:10 am

Another call from a woman that lost a b/w pit bull. Sent her a photo...nope not her dog.

and another call last night from a woman that found a different dog in the same area on Monday.

Things are not going well with this.

TheRedQueen

Postby SisMorphine » September 22nd, 2011, 3:42 pm

People are apparently idiots. LOL!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby call2arms » September 28th, 2011, 11:00 pm

What's new with that? :rolleyes2:

Good luck on finding the owner, hopefully they show up sometime soon, and won't make you regret finding them.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » September 29th, 2011, 7:43 am

Still have her.

Trying to find a temporary foster home for the week we're going to IN (10/5-10/10)...since she'd make dog #12 in the van...and she's dog reactive, if not DA.

No such luck so far...everyone I can think of is out of town at the same time.

She's a nice girl...and I hate to have her killed at the shelter...I feel guilty, even though she's NOT MINE. ARGH...frustrating times I'm in.

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » October 3rd, 2011, 5:24 pm

Stray girl is heading to the shelter tomorrow...she may have a slim chance of being adopted...but probably not. At least she's off the streets, and hasn't hurt anyone's pet...and will be put down humanely.

She attacked a stuffed labrador at the pet store today...and I had to choke her off it's head. She would not OUT. Then when a live JRT came in the door, she screamed and tried to launch herself at him.

Yesterday she tried to bust through my neighbor's chain link fence to attack their dogs, and even though they weren't out today, she was still stalking their house this morning.

I can't do anything with her, no one's claimed her...and I can't have her hurting my dogs or cats, or anyone else's. I'm feeling horrible, despite everything. I'm going to be bawling tomorrow.

TheRedQueen

Postby madremissy » October 3rd, 2011, 7:16 pm

Since we all know she won't make it out alive, is there anyway your vet will do it? She will at least have someone with her during her last moments then die alone at the shelter. :sad2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » October 3rd, 2011, 7:37 pm

madremissy wrote:Since we all know she won't make it out alive, is there anyway your vet will do it? She will at least have someone with her during her last moments then die alone at the shelter. :sad2:

Honestly...I don't have the money to spend having her euthanized. :(

And her behavior is getting worse...she nipped me earlier (playfully, but honestly...it's worrying)...I'm not sure I want to be around her. She also screamed at Emma through the crate tonight...scared Emma to death.

TheRedQueen

Postby madremissy » October 3rd, 2011, 7:57 pm

:sad2: Sorry
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » October 3rd, 2011, 8:04 pm

Also, on another note...I don't want to be held responsible for killing her, if the owner for some reason turns up after 2 weeks. At least if they call my number from the signs, we can say "we took her to the shelter"

And yeah...the way she gets jacked up when she sees/smells other dogs, it's not going to be easy to do anything with her at a vet or shelter...

TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 3rd, 2011, 8:40 pm

I'm sorry. :( Did you just have her totally separated from your crew or did she kind of turn on when she got comfy with you?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » October 3rd, 2011, 8:48 pm

Oh she's been completely separated from everyone...cats included...I just wasn't sure about her. Then she almost caught one of my cats last week and is/was obsessed with finding her again. She was also obsessed with the dogs when she heard them bark in the house. She's met the dogs through the fence, but was just "interested" this past week she's been trying to bust though the gate to get to the dogs. I wasn't sure if it was DA or just reactivity...but the past few days have shown me what she's really like. The strangled screaming that came out of her mouth today as she attacked was terrifying to all of the employees at the store (friends of mine who have GSDs...so they're used to crazy behavior)...and to the family that came in with the JRT.

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » October 3rd, 2011, 8:48 pm

Oh she's been completely separated from everyone...cats included...I just wasn't sure about her. Then she almost caught one of my cats last week and is/was obsessed with finding her again. She was also obsessed with the dogs when she heard them bark in the house. She's met the dogs through the fence, but was just "interested" this past week she's been trying to bust though the gate to get to the dogs. I wasn't sure if it was DA or just reactivity...but the past few days have shown me what she's really like. The strangled screaming that came out of her mouth today as she attacked was terrifying to all of the employees at the store (friends of mine who have GSDs...so they're used to crazy behavior)...and to the family that came in with the JRT.

TheRedQueen

Postby HappyChick » October 3rd, 2011, 9:18 pm

I feel for you in this situation. You know, her behavior could have many reasons behind it, one of the possibilities being that she has something physically wrong with her like cancer. Taking her to the shelter sounds like the right thing to do. They will probably euth her immediately, but if she has a serious physical aliment, you and they are doing her a huge favor putting her out of her misery. Just MHO.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Off-Topic