Needing homes for Shelby and Justus

Postby pmashaney81 » September 28th, 2011, 12:55 am

Hey guys...

I am starting the process finding new homes for Shelby and Justus. I love them dearly, but it is time to look into finding a new home.

Shelby is a 5 year old spayed red female. She was a stray that we took in while in TX. Justus is a 4 year old fawn/white neutered male that we have had since he was a puppy.

There a 3 primary reasons for seeking a new home for them.

A) our boy's arrival has drastically altered their lifestyle.
B) they both have a high prey drive for small unfamiliar animals. (squirrels, possums, unfamiliar cats)
C) they have escaped our fenced yard twice and we are in close proximity to an interstate.

If you know anyone that is interested, or can put me in contact with a place here in MO that can assist me in this process, please email me.

Thanks,
Paul
Judge the deed, not the breed.

Jezebelle (AmStaff/Catahoula Cur) - b. 08/05/07
Justus (AmStaff/American Bulldog) - b. 08/09/07
Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
Evie (Chihuahua) - b. 12/24/04
Percival - Rescued Kitty of mass proportions :)
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 28th, 2011, 10:25 am

Hi Paul,

I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone who decides that a new home is the best option for their pets - the best home is the one they are already in.

A - that just takes some work and adjustment for you and the dogs
B - that's a training issue
C - fix the fence, put up zip lines or don't leave them unattended

I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but quite frankly, with the number of "great dogs" that are looking for homes because they don't have one in the first place (Erin's fosters, Kristina's fosters, Sepple, Daisy) adding more dogs to the "need new homes" list because they aren't convenient anymore just gets under my skin.

Are there very valid reasons for rehoming pets? Yes, of course. Arrival of new baby and/or bad behavior aren't generally on that list.

And to answer your question - I know of no rescues that have openings at all at this point, and I only know of a couple that take owner turn ins, and they are always full.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pmashaney81 » September 28th, 2011, 10:45 am

mnp13 wrote:And to answer your question - I know of no rescues that have openings at all at this point, and I only know of a couple that take owner turn ins, and they are always full.

Thanks for your input. That is all you needed to say. I appreciate you!

Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » September 28th, 2011, 10:51 am

mnp13 wrote:Hi Paul,

I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone who decides that a new home is the best option for their pets - the best home is the one they are already in.

A - that just takes some work and adjustment for you and the dogs
B - that's a training issue
C - fix the fence, put up zip lines or don't leave them unattended

I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but quite frankly, with the number of "great dogs" that are looking for homes because they don't have one in the first place (Erin's fosters, Kristina's fosters, Sepple, Daisy) adding more dogs to the "need new homes" list because they aren't convenient anymore just gets under my skin.

Are there very valid reasons for rehoming pets? Yes, of course. Arrival of new baby and/or bad behavior aren't generally on that list.

And to answer your question - I know of no rescues that have openings at all at this point, and I only know of a couple that take owner turn ins, and they are always full.

This x2.

I also think it's kind of a bummer you can't make the effort for your dogs to keep them. If you aren't willing to do it who will?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pmashaney81 » September 28th, 2011, 2:01 pm

plebayo wrote:
mnp13 wrote:And to answer your question - I know of no rescues that have openings at all at this point, and I only know of a couple that take owner turn ins, and they are always full.

This x2.

That is all I needed. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Next time, please consider all circumstances, even those that may have been undisclosed, before offering unsolicited commentary.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

:)

Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 28th, 2011, 3:22 pm

pmashaney81 wrote:That is all I needed. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Next time, please consider all circumstances, even those that may have been undisclosed, before offering unsolicited commentary.

Unsolicited? You asked for help placing your dogs on a discussion forum. That topic is now being discussed.

If you don't disclose circumstances, then we can't make them up, and only have what you did disclose to go by. Based on what you posted, we commented. If there are other things going on, having that information might or might not make a difference in the responses. Right now, according to your post, you want to rehome your dogs because you have a new baby, and they are not behaving well. That's all we have to go on.

My mother has allergies to cats. If she ever needed to move in with me, I would have to rehome my cats. I got my cats 13 years ago, and will not get more until my mother is no longer with us because the older she gets the higher the probability of her needing to live with us for one reason or another. Yes, that's a valid reason to rehome in my opinion. Behavior problems and new babies? Not so much.

By all means, if there are other things going on, please share them.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 28th, 2011, 6:13 pm

I'm sitting here with three dogs (pit bulls) needing homes right now...and I can't move them at all...so I'm completely in agreement with the others.

We can only judge by what you post...:|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby HappyChick » September 28th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Sorry our rescue is full as always.

What is really going on here? Are you afraid the dogs will do something to the baby? You mention the boy's arrival and high prey drive, so I put the two together and I wonder.

Comments are most definitely solicited when you post that post on this forum. Haven't you been around PBT long enough to know that?? lol

Seriously, IMO you should tell people what is really going on and get advice to fix the problem, not blame the child, the prey-drive, and the fence.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » September 28th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Ok, this isn't going to win any popularity contests, but I'll say it anyway. Obviously there are details that were not disclosed. This isn't a crime, it happens all the time, and almost always causes conflict. However, what surprises me from our long time PBT members, is that you seem to have forgotten how many fur lives this couple has saved. Before their home was destroyed by a hurricane and they were forced to move, there were numerous posts about strays that found a home with them. They were cared for, nursed back to health, and they cared for them until loving homes could be found.

I don't know the whole story either, but I don't think this was a decision they came to without much thought. I personally feel badly that they find themselves having to make this decision. I think they deserve a little more compassion than has been displayed.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » September 29th, 2011, 12:22 am

hugapitbull wrote:Ok, this isn't going to win any popularity contests, but I'll say it anyway. Obviously there are details that were not disclosed. This isn't a crime, it happens all the time, and almost always causes conflict. However, what surprises me from our long time PBT members, is that you seem to have forgotten how many fur lives this couple has saved. Before their home was destroyed by a hurricane and they were forced to move, there were numerous posts about strays that found a home with them. They were cared for, nursed back to health, and they cared for them until loving homes could be found.

I don't know the whole story either, but I don't think this was a decision they came to without much thought. I personally feel badly that they find themselves having to make this decision. I think they deserve a little more compassion than has been displayed.

Thank you Shanna
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 29th, 2011, 12:56 am

I can only respond to what is posted. :|

I would much rather help solve the problems than spend the equal amount of time and energy finding new homes for dogs.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 29th, 2011, 7:39 am

mnp13 wrote:I can only respond to what is posted. :|

I would much rather help solve the problems than spend the equal amount of time and energy finding new homes for dogs.

Ditto...

That's what I come to PBT to do... :|

Sorry...have to go deal with my FOSTER dogs now...those dogs that no one wants that are stuck, warehoused with me...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby SisMorphine » September 29th, 2011, 6:02 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Ok, this isn't going to win any popularity contests, but I'll say it anyway. Obviously there are details that were not disclosed. This isn't a crime, it happens all the time, and almost always causes conflict. However, what surprises me from our long time PBT members, is that you seem to have forgotten how many fur lives this couple has saved. Before their home was destroyed by a hurricane and they were forced to move, there were numerous posts about strays that found a home with them. They were cared for, nursed back to health, and they cared for them until loving homes could be found.

Agreed.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open up here.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pmashaney81 » September 30th, 2011, 2:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:
pmashaney81 wrote:That is all I needed. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Next time, please consider all circumstances, even those that may have been undisclosed, before offering unsolicited commentary.

Unsolicited? You asked for help placing your dogs on a discussion forum. That topic is now being discussed.

No ma'am. With all due respect, I asked for assistance in locating resources to find a better home for these two members of my family than what I can provide. I did not request snarky comments regarding what you or others think about my decision.

I have fostered and re-homed 13 homeless dogs in the past 4 years, which may not seem like much compared to some of the pros, but is not too shabby for a newly wed couple in a small home with a small yard. To imply that I am being selfish or not giving enough effort is completely insulting.

I also stated that I am looking for new homes. AT NO POINT, did I express a desire to dump them in a shelter, nor would I ever consider that. In fact, we sacrificed near all of our possessions in a natural disaster to ensure that we had packed all the gear to care for our dogs. They will live in our home until I can find them the perfect home, complete with home inspections and references and all the other steps I take to ensure happiness for an animal.

To those of you who stood up for me... Thank you and bless you. I appreciate you taking into account who I am and considering past actions/deeds, before chastising me like a deviant child. I am in your debt.

As always, I appreciate your assistance greatly.

Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 30th, 2011, 5:50 pm

I don't know of any rescues with openings for Pit bulls...I've looked and looked. :|

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » September 30th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Actually, it's funny you say that, because the specific discussion that I had with someone about your post was "when has someone 'done enough' so that they get a pass?" I think it's fantastic you have helped to save 13 dogs. It's very admiral that you put your dogs above everything else during Katrina - sadly it seems that most people didn't.

My comments weren't snarky. They were honest, direct, ( far from nasty or rude) and no different than I have said many times to people both in person and on the phone when they ask for help re-homing their dogs. I have helped rehome four dogs that were in houses, with families. As I said, there are reasons for it.

When you post anything on a discussion forum, it will be discussed if the community chooses to discuss it - I have never gagged that on this forum, even when the discussion is me, and even when it's not flattering towards me. That is how we've run things since the beginning.

I'm glad to hear that this is not an emergency situation, and that they are completely safe from the possibility of a shelter, and that you will keep them until new homes can be found and screened.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 30th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Maybe I was snarky, I'll fully admit that...but being full up with dogs that are being dumped on me left and right tends to make me tired and easily annoyed. Hey...I'm still being snarky...maybe I'll just have to gag myself.

TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » September 30th, 2011, 8:21 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:maybe I'll just have to gag myself.

I'll do it! :wink:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby DemoDick » October 1st, 2011, 5:43 pm

The level of emotional martyrdom and insistence that no one's behavior should be judged around here is smurfing unreal. How do you people deal with real life? Do you ever go outside? Do you expect that everyone always gets along and agrees with what everyone else does? That doesn't even happen in a preschool sandbox. The *only* place that happens is on FaceBook where you can electronically block things you don't want to deal with.

"Hi, I have a problem, I need some help and thought I would post on a public forum. But don't anyone dare give me any unsolicted advice or tell me anything I don't want to hear..." What the smurf, over?

This board is full of members who are very emotionally attached to their dogs and very invested in how they think other people should treat theirs. Is anyone surprised that some folks are going to have questions when another member asks how to rehome their pets? If I go onto a vegan forum and talk about my carnivorous lifestyle while looking for lentil soup recipes do I have *any* reasonable expectation that people aren't going to get their panties in a twist?

Anyone who wants a judgement free zone should go to Planet smurfing Fitness. Nothing productive gets done there either.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TheRedQueen » October 1st, 2011, 10:05 pm

I have a fabulous lentil soup recipe to share...8)

TheRedQueen

Next

Return to Rescue