sunscreen

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby rockermom » May 17th, 2006, 11:55 am

Can you use sunscreen on a dog? Like the kind for babies? I think Rocky will need it for snout and ears. They get real red if out in sun too long. As well as his naked belly if he lies belly up.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » May 17th, 2006, 12:14 pm

I'll be interestd in hearing any advice as well. Daisy should really we wearing sunscreen on her nose as well....
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » May 17th, 2006, 12:16 pm

I think its a good idea :|

I know white haired cats can get skin cancer on their ears...

I would assume the same is possible for dogs
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 17th, 2006, 12:19 pm

We put baby sunscreen on the boys, since they're both whiteys. The top of Shades' nose burns badly in the summer. Here's a picture:

ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 17th, 2006, 1:02 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:We put baby sunscreen on the boys, since they're both whiteys. The top of Shades' nose burns badly in the summer. Here's a picture:

I wuv that pink nose!!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 17th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Yup, you should put sunscreen on them, especially white dogs or dogs with pink areas. I use the baby stuff, too, because I figure if it's safe for babies, it's o.k. for dogs, too.

Dogs can get skin cancers just like people.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Miakoda » May 17th, 2006, 1:38 pm

As someone who doesn't like white dogs, but always ends up with them, we DO use sunscreen on them. I have had moe than 1 dog get sunburned & its a nasty thing (spot turns all black & crusty & itches the dog till no end). Anyhoo, we use the Banana Boat Baby UVA & UVB Sunblock Spray Lotion as it's hypoallergenic & waterproof as well as "safe & gentle". :wink: I went to the spray as you don't end up lathering the dog with the stuff plus it easier to apply. For the head & face, I just spray it on my hands & rub it in. However, don't forget the ears!
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 17th, 2006, 1:43 pm

I always use sunscreen on Sacha...especially her ears...I, too, like the spray (so much easier to get on them)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Hoyden » May 17th, 2006, 2:14 pm

I use a baby sunscreen that is hypoallergenic with NO paba in it on Petey.

He's gotten burned a few times.

I have also put a kid's T-shirt on him and then soaked it so he stayed cool, then put sunblock on his head, nose and ears.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby rockermom » May 17th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Miakoda wrote:As someone who doesn't like white dogs, but always ends up with them, we DO use sunscreen on them. I have had moe than 1 dog get sunburned & its a nasty thing (spot turns all black & crusty & itches the dog till no end). Anyhoo, we use the Banana Boat Baby UVA & UVB Sunblock Spray Lotion as it's hypoallergenic & waterproof as well as "safe & gentle". :wink: I went to the spray as you don't end up lathering the dog with the stuff plus it easier to apply. For the head & face, I just spray it on my hands & rub it in. However, don't forget the ears!

What a ya mean you dont like white dogs. :cheeky3:
Thanks all I will get a good supply of sunscreen. Every day I feel more like I had another baby. I better go buy a diaper bag to carry all this extra stuff.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Hoyden » May 17th, 2006, 3:24 pm

houlabulla? wrote:What a ya mean you dont like white dogs. :cheeky3:
Thanks all I will get a good supply of sunscreen. Every day I feel more like I had another baby. I better go buy a diaper bag to carry all this extra stuff.

:fastRoll:

That is what I use for my dogs, one of the Gremlin's old diaper bags.

It's a good size with lots of pockets for stuff. I put water bottles in the bottle pockets on each end, anti-bacterial hand wipes, baggies, break stick, small first aid kit and paper towels ripped off the roll and folded in the diaper pouch on the front. Extra leash and collar in the back pouch and stuff everything else in the main portion of the bag.

When they see the bag now, they both go scrambling for a toy to pack. If I leave the bag on the floor, they start putting their toys in it.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Miakoda » May 17th, 2006, 5:04 pm

houlabulla? wrote:
Miakoda wrote:As someone who doesn't like white dogs, but always ends up with them, we DO use sunscreen on them. I have had moe than 1 dog get sunburned & its a nasty thing (spot turns all black & crusty & itches the dog till no end). Anyhoo, we use the Banana Boat Baby UVA & UVB Sunblock Spray Lotion as it's hypoallergenic & waterproof as well as "safe & gentle". :wink: I went to the spray as you don't end up lathering the dog with the stuff plus it easier to apply. For the head & face, I just spray it on my hands & rub it in. However, don't forget the ears!

What a ya mean you dont like white dogs. :cheeky3:

LOL. I dunno, but I seem to have a constant collection of them. :|
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby mistee06 » May 18th, 2006, 7:23 am

hahaha i love the diaper bag idea!!!! of course someone around here would be like... "where your child?? you have a diaper bag with no child?!?! did you lose your kid??" or something stupid like that..lol

i know the topic is about sunscreen....but is there a safe BUG SPRAY to use on dogs? because there are alot of bugs up here and i dont want Gracie (if i aget her *fingers crossed*) to get little bug bites like mistee did sometimes :(
mistee06
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » May 18th, 2006, 7:27 am

mistee06 wrote:hahaha i love the diaper bag idea!!!! of course someone around here would be like... "where your child?? you have a diaper bag with no child?!?! did you lose your kid??" or something stupid like that..lol

i know the topic is about sunscreen....but is there a safe BUG SPRAY to use on dogs? because there are alot of bugs up here and i dont want Gracie (if i aget her *fingers crossed*) to get little bug bites like mistee did sometimes :(

When I use bug spray, (which is rarely), I have bought it at a local healthfood store to be sure it's natural and safe.

I think they have natural ones at pet supply stores now, though.

Anyone use anything specific??
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 18th, 2006, 7:30 am

Hmmm I dont know if it would be safe for dogs but most bug sprays with deet are not safe for childrens skin it causes kidney problems. So my pediatric docotor had me use Avon Skin so soft bug spray with sunscreen or you can just get bug spray. When my son was about a year old he would welt up from bug bites. It works my older son takes it to boy scout camp. However go on Avon website see what ingredients are to find out if it is safe. I was thinking of just using the SSS bath oil on Rocky to keep bugs away. There use to be a myth that the sss oil keeps bugs away. Some swear by it.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 18th, 2006, 7:50 am

mistee06 wrote:i know the topic is about sunscreen....but is there a safe BUG SPRAY to use on dogs? because there are alot of bugs up here and i dont want Gracie (if i aget her *fingers crossed*) to get little bug bites like mistee did sometimes :(

http://www.ecoblends.com/home.asp

They used to be called Buzz Off! but recently changed their name.

It's all natural and living in a heavily wooded, heavily mosquito-ed, area I LOVE IT! You can use it on people and dogs. I kept trying to find the spray in stores around me but couldn't, so I used the roll on on Wally, behind his ears, at the base of his tail, and on his belly. Seriously, I love the stuff.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby a-bull » May 18th, 2006, 7:52 am

Buzz Off! sounds familiar, but that bottle doesn't look familiar. Was it white with green lettering before, because I think that's the one I used, and it did work well.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 18th, 2006, 7:53 am

houlabulla? wrote:Hmmm I dont know if it would be safe for dogs but most bug sprays with deet are not safe for childrens skin it causes kidney problems. So my pediatric docotor had me use Avon Skin so soft bug spray with sunscreen or you can just get bug spray. When my son was about a year old he would welt up from bug bites. It works my older son takes it to boy scout camp. However go on Avon website see what ingredients are to find out if it is safe. I was thinking of just using the SSS bath oil on Rocky to keep bugs away. There use to be a myth that the sss oil keeps bugs away. Some swear by it.

I don't even use the ones with Deet on myself. Not good---I know it works, but I'd rather be bitten by bugs than die of cancer. :(
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 18th, 2006, 7:53 am

Well last year when I found it it was the same coloring but the logo/name was different . . . that was it.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » May 18th, 2006, 8:11 am

No Deet in the avon product but not sure about the other stuff. Anyone here sell avon I need to at least get some of that bugspray/sunscreen for the family.
http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/default.a ... e=dept.asp
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health