The Lost Dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Marinepits » August 3rd, 2010, 6:14 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Dogs-Michael ... 619&sr=8-4

Book will be released September 16, 2010.

The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption

An inspiring story of survival and our powerful bond with man's best friend, in the aftermath of the nation's most notorious case of animal cruelty.

Animal lovers and sports fans were shocked when the story broke about NFL player Michael Vick's brutal dog fighting operation. But what became of the dozens of dogs who survived? As acclaimed writer Jim Gorant discovered, their story is the truly newsworthy aspect of this case. Expanding on Gorant's Sports Illustrated cover story, The Lost Dogs traces the effort to bring Vick to justice and turns the spotlight on these infamous pit bulls, which were saved from euthanasia by an outpouring of public appeals coupled with a court order that Vick pay nearly a million dollars in "restitution" to the dogs.

As an ASPCA-led team evaluated each one, they found a few hardened fighters, but many more lovable, friendly creatures desperate for compassion. In The Lost Dogs, we meet these amazing animals, a number of which are now living in loving homes, while some even work in therapy programs: Johnny Justice participates in Paws for Tales, which lets kids get comfortable with reading aloud by reading to dogs; Leo spends three hours a week with cancer patients and troubled teens. At the heart of the stories are the rescue workers who transformed the pups from victims of animal cruelty into healing caregivers themselves, unleashing priceless hope.

Includes an 8-page photo insert.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby plebayo » August 3rd, 2010, 8:19 pm

That would be a great read. I watched the episode(s) of Dogtown with the dogs and it was totally heart wrenching.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Marinepits » September 17th, 2010, 10:20 am

Book was released yesterday -- anyone pick it up yet?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby HappyPuppy » September 18th, 2010, 1:18 pm

People on another forum said it was a good read but needed a box of tissues...
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby kera09 » October 18th, 2010, 5:35 pm

great book....extremely sad at times... tissues def needed!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » October 19th, 2010, 9:53 am

I really liked this book, I highly recommend it. And I'm a huge crier when bad stuff happens to animals, so if I made it through the bad parts - you can too! I hope that people who don't like or are indifferent to pit bulls read this book. I think it had a lot of great info on what pit bulls can be forced to go through and the positive things these dogs can be capable of.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 19th, 2010, 6:07 pm

I hope that not a single penny is going to Vick, but that might be just a pipe dream.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby tiva » October 19th, 2010, 7:41 pm

mnp13 wrote:I hope that not a single penny is going to Vick, but that might be just a pipe dream.

I can't imagine Vick would be getting a penny of the book royalties (I've written a number of books, and I can assure you: royalties are less than a buck a book, and they all go to the author, not to the evil people described within the book).

I have asked the author to confirm this, and I'll let you all know what he says.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby PetieMarie22 » October 20th, 2010, 9:40 am

I was under the assumption that he was not. Let me know what you find out Tiva. I also read that most states have a "Son of Sam" Law that prevents criminals from profiting from their crimes. Georgia and Virginia are two of such states.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » September 18th, 2011, 10:41 pm

I just bought this book Friday and I'm about 100+ pages in.

WOW.

I knew some really screwed up things went on there but had no idea the kind of torturous things that Vick and his friends did to their dogs. They all deserve to be beaten with a hammer. So far it is a pretty good read.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby homebrwd » September 19th, 2011, 11:05 am

I have been working my way through this book, slowly for a the past couple weeks. I definitely get choked up here and there.
homebrwd
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk