Question regarding dog bite

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 11:32 am

A friend of mine called regarding one of her friends who has a new dog in her house. This is a second dog. She has a 3 year old male English Bull Terrier and the new dog is an 8 month old female English Bull Terrier. She got the dog from a pet shop at 6 months old and it came microchipped. She questioned at the time if this dog had been with someone else and was returned since it was microchipped and they seemed to be pushing the dog on her. I was told that the dog is sensitive to noise. The new dog has been aggressive and bit her friend once breaking up a dog fight, then just bit her out of nowhere and again she was bit this morning. Each time breaking skin. She has said the dog is sweet one moment and if it hears something it seems to lose its marbles. The dog has been fighting with the older dog alot. She talked to a trainer who suggested she give the dog valerian root. She also told me that the dog threw up this morning.

My first suggestion since I was told the dog was ill this morning was to take it to the vet. I am not sure if it has been seen by a vet yet?

Please give me your thoughts????
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 17th, 2006, 11:35 am

My only thought is... :o and :shock:

Has it had it's rabies shots!?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 11:39 am

take the dog to the vet.. and call the pet store and DEMAND the background on the dog... then have her contact these places:
http://www.malteseonly.com/lemon.html
http://caps-web.org/5_0laws.htm
http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecti ... ppy_mills/

have your friend get the dogs microchip scanned at the vets office, and contact the previous ower.. write down all information gotten including time, date,and who spoke to.. if the dog doesnt have any medical issues and she wants to work with the dog to keep, then hire a trainer, but still contact the store where she got the dog from and put them on notice.. by LAW if the lemon law is in her state the pet store MUST comply..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 11:42 am

Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 11:53 am

They are in NY. There is a lemon law on dogs?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Malli » May 17th, 2006, 11:56 am

I wanted to ask, too, is the dog biting her as in puppy bites or biting her out of aggression? That is a very young dog to be biting and picking fights...

I think it basically means you can't knowingly sell someone a sick or otherwise unhealthy puppy?

I wish we had those in canada
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 17th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Can you get me her contact info? I can get her help with this dog.

She may have rage syndrome, and needs more than herbal therapy.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Malli wrote:I wanted to ask, too, is the dog biting her as in puppy bites or biting her out of aggression? That is a very young dog to be biting and picking fights...

I think it basically means you can't knowingly sell someone a sick or otherwise unhealthy puppy?

I wish we had those in canada

Based upon what I have been told it sounds like it is in aggression. Or maybe it is just being scared.
Last edited by luvmyangels on May 17th, 2006, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 12:06 pm

there are lemon laws in almost every state for pet store dogs and bybs..

it could also be the dog who is 8 months old has had no training at all, so is acting out.... or the rage syndrome too...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Maryellen wrote:there are lemon laws in almost every state for pet store dogs and bybs..

it could also be the dog who is 8 months old has had no training at all, so is acting out.... or the rage syndrome too...

What is rage syndrome? Is it ok if I give this link to my friend to share it with her?? If so, that is why I am asking so many questions so that they understand the meaning behind everything.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 17th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Maryellen wrote:there are lemon laws in almost every state for pet store dogs and bybs..

Yes and she's had the dog for 6mos. without problems until now? I'd think the lemon law is past?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 17th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Rage syndrome symptoms are when a dog just attacks or bites out of the blue people, dogs, objects or even themselves. It is thought to be a nuerological problem related to seizures. They tend to be really out of it right after they bite, like they have no clue what happened.

She needs to be very careful. I have a very close friend who had a BT with rage, she lives in NY and does BT rescue. We could help your friend with this dog by at least giving her the most info on how to handle it. I would NOT give it back to the pet store. They will just keep selling it and she could really hurt someone.

She may end up euthanizing the dog, but at least she will know all the information first to make a good choice.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 12:18 pm

msvette2u wrote:

Yes and she's had the dog for 6mos. without problems until now? I'd think the lemon law is past?

No the dog is only 8 months old and she got it when it was 6 months old. She only has had the dog for 2 months.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 12:36 pm

the lemon law is good for 2 years...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 17th, 2006, 12:37 pm

luvmyangels wrote:No the dog is only 8 months old and she got it when it was 6 months old. She only has had the dog for 2 months.

OHHH OK I read it wrong!! My bad!! :oops: A 6mo. old dog in a petstore seems odd. I hope she can find the original owner.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 1:01 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Rage syndrome symptoms are when a dog just attacks or bites out of the blue people, dogs, objects or even themselves. It is thought to be a nuerological problem related to seizures. They tend to be really out of it right after they bite, like they have no clue what happened.

She needs to be very careful. I have a very close friend who had a BT with rage, she lives in NY and does BT rescue. We could help your friend with this dog by at least giving her the most info on how to handle it. I would NOT give it back to the pet store. They will just keep selling it and she could really hurt someone.

She may end up euthanizing the dog, but at least she will know all the information first to make a good choice.

Thank you so much for explaining rage syndrome. I appreciate you offering to help her with knowledge. I will keep you updated as to what is going on.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 17th, 2006, 1:03 pm

the pet store should be held accountable as well.. dont let them get off easy if they knew about this.. and if the dog is microchipped i bet the pet store sold the dog to someone, and thenthe owner brought the dog back to the store due to health problems.... if that is the case, then the pet store IS liable..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 17th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Not a problem. BT people are very good about helping their own. We have a lot of very knowledgable folks who would be more than willing to work with your friend. My e-mail is dogcrazyjen@yahoo.com if she needs to get hold of me.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Maryellen wrote:the pet store should be held accountable as well.. dont let them get off easy if they knew about this.. and if the dog is microchipped i bet the pet store sold the dog to someone, and thenthe owner brought the dog back to the store due to health problems.... if that is the case, then the pet store IS liable..

Do pet stores normally microchip their dogs? They were trying to tell her that where the puppy originated from is where they microchipped it. I never heard that before.

I agree that the pet store has liability for this.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 17th, 2006, 1:30 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Not a problem. BT people are very good about helping their own. We have a lot of very knowledgable folks who would be more than willing to work with your friend. My e-mail is dogcrazyjen@yahoo.com if she needs to get hold of me.

Thank you very much for your e-mail address.

I appreciate everyone's assistance with this.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Next

Return to Training & Behavior